Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terminal 1 new bag scanners issue

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Terminal 1 new bag scanners issue

I guess this is more of a rant, but is there anyone else that flies out of terminal 1 a lot noticing longer security check times due to the new(ish) xray bag scanners they've installed (the ones where everyone loads their bags on to trays at their own station, and then try to awkwardly figure out when to push them onto the rolling pins).

I'm not sure if its just the scanners at the TSA pre section, but my last 3 visits have taken 10+ minutes to have my bag scanned. The last 2 times, both of my bags were pulled for additionally screening, only to be told by the agent that they have no idea why they were pulled and then running them again.

Or am i just getting unlucky?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: AA,UA,AS
I generally find that people, TSA Pre or not, act like they’ve never been through airport security in their life. The bins in my experience trip a lot of people up and adds to the confusion and thus slows down the line.

I think I’ve had my bag pulled once by mistake out of 10 or so trips out of the new T1. It also seems like it takes forever for the computer to make up its mind whether or not to send your bag to secondary screening.

Overall, not a huge fan of the new TSA in terminal 1, but I’ve never been there when it was busy.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:01 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I don't usually fly out of T1 so not familiar with that location specifically, but have encountered this system in I think ATL and recently EWR and I'm generally not a fan. I can see why they might be a good idea in theory, but in practice it's a bit of a mess, people don't understand they can all be loading at the same time, verbal instructions from TSA seem to take a while to sink in, and if you're at one of the rearward stations you kinda need to keep an eye out and push, otherwise new bins keep getting inserted "downstream" in front of yours.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by freeagent
I think I’ve had my bag pulled once by mistake out of 10 or so trips out of the new T1. It also seems like it takes forever for the computer to make up its mind whether or not to send your bag to secondary screening.
I also had my bag pulled once there. The TSA person came over and looked at the monitor for a few seconds, then gave my bag back and said that I could go.

Originally Posted by freeagent
Overall, not a huge fan of the new TSA in terminal 1, but I’ve never been there when it was busy.
While the scanning process is slower, in my experience T1 has the shortest lines by far of all the domestic terminals, so the overall process has for me been the shortest at T1.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I went through T1 Pre last week. There was a UPS guy putting more than 40 boxes of air freight through the scanner. Then every single piece was being hung up at the split post scanner for about 30 seconds. It took over 10 minutes for my carry-on to come through.

The Covenant people manning security were dismissive when I complained about UPS using the Pre line to scan air freight. I complained to the manager at the stand behind the checkpoint and he agreed they were not supposed to do that, that they had been told they are not supposed to do that, and apologized profusely. I saw him walking over to conduct what I hope was some additional training for the frontline staff.

This was the first time I'd experienced the scanner hang up. Every other time I've come through it's been very quick.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by econ

While the scanning process is slower, in my experience T1 has the shortest lines by far of all the domestic terminals, so the overall process has for me been the shortest at T1.
Definitely agree it’s the fastest domestic security line and because of that it doesn’t bother me. However, if they were to put this in T3 it might be a different story.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by sotastep
I guess this is more of a rant, but is there anyone else that flies out of terminal 1 a lot noticing longer security check times due to the new(ish) xray bag scanners they've installed (the ones where everyone loads their bags on to trays at their own station, and then try to awkwardly figure out when to push them onto the rolling pins).
Those are CT scanners. The TSA has been testing them at fifteen airports since 2016 and starting installing them in additional airports in 2019. I have had several occasions to pass through TSA security checkpoints using the new computed tomography scanners, most recently in ATL. Yes, they are slower than the older x-ray scanners. I have seen and used the automated conveyor system at several airports, including a couple of terminals at LAX, my home airport.

For additional information, plese refer to the following threads in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum:
Old Nov 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Ups at T1 - never imagined that because I would assume they’d be at cargo or some area away from normal pax. What an utter waste of time for ups to be using pax services.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The use of the multi tray station system and the new types of scanners aren’t connected.

I’ve been at airports in the UK and EU for example where they have the tray station system but not the new CT type scanners.

One advantage of the CT scanners is that they pinpoint where in the bag the scanner has issues with the contents which then makes any second look or hand search much quicker.

You need to use trains for everything because they contain a tag that allows the agent doing the secondary to pull up the original image which should speed the whole process up.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gaobest
Ups at T1 - never imagined that because I would assume they’d be at cargo or some area away from normal pax. What an utter waste of time for ups to be using pax services.
I've never seen it before. I should actually complain to SFO, they're usually really good about responding to emails.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've never seen it before. I should actually complain to SFO, they're usually really good about responding to emails.
and of course at any airport I’ll see delivery folk (ups and others) bringing boxes to the businesses within the airport. I always assume that they use the airport equivalent of “service entrance” rather than the lobby & tsa checkpoints :-)
how would tsa even be allowed to allow the ups guy to pass by without a boarding pass? :-)
Old Nov 18, 2021, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
how would tsa even be allowed to allow the ups guy to pass by without a boarding pass? :-)
Right it's insane.

Covenant Security at SFO, not TSA. Privately contracted.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 1:34 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Right it's insane.

Covenant Security at SFO, not TSA. Privately contracted.
Or take some smartphone video of it, and send it to local SF Bay Area news stations.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Or take some smartphone video of it, and send it to local SF Bay Area news stations.
I thought of that, but am a little hesitant to take video at the security checkpoint.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I thought of that, but am a little hesitant to take video at the security checkpoint.
According to TSA, that's generally okay.

Can I film and take photos at a security checkpoint?

TSA does not prohibit photographing, videotaping or filming at security checkpoints, as long as the screening process is not interfered with or sensitive information is not revealed.

Interference with screening includes but is not limited to holding a recording device up to the face of a TSA officer so that the officer is unable to see or move, refusing to assume the proper stance during screening, blocking the movement of others through the checkpoint or refusing to submit a recording device for screening.

Additionally, you may not film or take pictures of equipment monitors that are shielded from public view.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequentl...ity-checkpoint
Kacee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.