Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to exit SFO for layover?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Possible to exit SFO for layover?

Does anyone know if it's possible to exit SFO during layovers? I'm flying YVR > SFO > AUS. Thought I could get some food in Burlingame while I wait. Just not sure how tight restrictions are with COVID and I'd rather not miss my connecting flight. Who knows what's allowed these days, I'm always double checking everything now before going out for any reason. California seems to have some of the tightest restrictions.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hc99
Does anyone know if it's possible to exit SFO during layovers? I'm flying YVR > SFO > AUS. Thought I could get some food in Burlingame while I wait. Just not sure how tight restrictions are with COVID and I'd rather not miss my connecting flight. Who knows what's allowed these days, I'm always double checking everything now before going out for any reason. California seems to have some of the tightest restrictions.
How much time between the scheduled arrival time and scheduled departure time?

FT thread in his forum---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-...d-threads.html
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

About 4.5 hours layover. Thanks for that other thread, will read it.

Also, just got through to SFO customer service, the rep advised there are no restrictions to exit. Guess I should have called and asked first before posting! Line was busy when I called earlier though.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by hc99
Pandemic restrictions are not a constraint for you here in that you are free to leave SFO and return if you like. As you may know, the USA forces all international passengers in transit to go through immigration; once you do that you can head to Burlingame if you like.

Still, you should think about your time constraints, and whether what you will want to do in Burlingame is open.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
If you want in and out, then yes they’re open. Have fun.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
Pandemic restrictions are not a constraint for you here in that you are free to leave SFO and return if you like. As you may know, the USA forces all international passengers in transit to go through immigration; once you do that you can head to Burlingame if you like.

Still, you should think about your time constraints, and whether what you will want to do in Burlingame is open.
As hc99 is coming from YVR, USA formalities will be done at YVR (USA pre clearance).
https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/nav...der-protection
TWA884 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As hc99 is coming from YVR, USA formalities will be done at YVR (USA pre clearance).
https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/nav...der-protection
Whoops. I didn't notice that. Sorry, OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.