Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Hey SF Bay Area locals: when do you expect you'll fly somewhere for fun?

Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper

It's been over six months since I've been on a plane, and my guess is that I won't get back in one again for any leisure travel until September 2021. (I doubt there will be any work or other reason I'll get on a plane before then.)

How about you?
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
At least SFO is in San Mateo, now the only county in the Bay Area to escape joining the state’s watch list.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vanillabean
At least SFO is in San Mateo, now the only county in the Bay Area to escape joining the state’s watch list.
SFO is owned by the City and County of San Francisco. I'm not sure what that means, exactly, on the question of whether you are in SF or San Mateo County when you are at SFO.

Last edited by dhuey; Jul 29, 2020 at 11:59 am
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Owner/Operator
City and County of San Francisco
Serves
San Francisco Bay Area
Unincorporated San Mateo County, California, U.S.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_...tional_Airport
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by vanillabean
That escape ship has sailed.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by dhuey
SFO is owned by the City and County of San Francisco. I'm not sure what that means, exactly, on the question of whether you are in SF or San Mateo County when you are at SFO.
The situation of SFO is quite complicated. As vanillabean mentioned, SFO is within the geographical boundary of San Mateo County, yet within San Francisco's political boundary.

SFO bears the ZIP code 94128, which aligns with the ZIP codes assigned to San Francisco (941XX). So you are in San Francisco for most purposes.

However, there are several exceptions, including but not limited to:

1. Airport businesses are considered operating within San Mateo County. So they have the business licenses for San Mateo County and collecting San Mateo County sales tax.

2. Public transportation is provided by SamTrans instead of Muni, including BART funding.

3. Lawsuits related to SFO, civil and criminal, are filed in San Mateo Superior Court instead San Francisco Superior Court unless Airport Commission is involved. So when a person is arrested in SFO by SFPD, he/she is being processed in San Mateo County.

4. SFO is assigned with an area code of 650, which belongs San Mateo.
nnn and vanillabean like this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Let's not forget that for the first decades of BART, it didn't serve SFO because San Mateo County didn't want BART. Alameda County was quite happy to have BART, although it requires a shuttle bus to go to OAK.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Despite having tickets for OAK-OGG on hold for late October I know that trip is basically not going to happen.

Work already told us no travel until at least end of 2020.

I will be shocked if I fly again before Q2 2021 for any reason, and would not be surprised in the least if it doesn't happen until early 2022.

We are all being trained/conditioned to expect a vaccine in 2021. That is certainly within the realm of possibility, but not necessarily anywhere near a guarantee. "Having" a vaccine is not the same as distributing it effectively and based on the piss poor coordination of testing and track/trace, I really do not expect that distribution will be any better coordinated if/when a vaccine is available, particularly if the current federal administration remains in power.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EZE ticket for September. I doubt it will happen. If it doesn't cancel, and I'm allowed in the country w/o quarantine, I'll go, wearing the N95 during travels. Staying in own place, and would have some, but not too much, social contact with a handful of friends.

SCL/EZE for late Dec/Jan. I give it 50/50+. I expect that many countries will let us in with very recent test results at that point (similar to AK procedure and what HI is proposing).

HNL in late Jan. I used some of my AS credit and I don't care if it happens, as I can always re-bank the dough.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Alameda County was quite happy to have BART, although it requires a shuttle bus to go to OAK.
We've had a train in place since 2014 with a $6 one way fare from the Coliseum station.

I have Seattle and Orlando weekends booked end of August with Alaska. Will decide a week out if I actually fly them. Helsinki trip end of September is at bigger risk if the EU keeps us out.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
We've had a train in place since 2014 with a $6 one way fare from the Coliseum station.
I've found the OAK AirBART train to be very convenient -- especially during commute hours. My wife drops me off at North Berkeley BART, 25 minutes to the Coliseum/Airport station, 10 minutes on AirBART, and I'm walking into the terminal. Back when I flew on airplanes, that is.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
For me it works out to about 20 minutes less travel time from Walnut Creek than SFO, and 80 cents in overall fare less than SFO. Just wish Alaska had more service out of there. About the only time I fly from OAK now is Honolulu, which I think has been pulled from the schedule short-term, as I'll make the trek to SMF for nonstop SEA flights and park on airport for $10 a day. Same thing with Vancouver flights on Alaska.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
... as I'll make the trek to SMF for nonstop SEA flights and park on airport for $10 a day. Same thing with Vancouver flights on Alaska.
It's too bad they didn't put SMF due west of Sacramento, maybe even west of Davis. That would have made it more practical for lots of people in the northern and eastern edges of the Bay Area.
Eastbay1K, boxo and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
It's too bad they didn't put SMF due west of Sacramento, maybe even west of Davis. That would have made it more practical for lots of people in the northern and eastern edges of the Bay Area.
The military probably wouldn't have wanted any material Travis AFB interference.
freeagent likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
My next uncancelled trip with a flight is November to Chicago. That's at best 50:50. Same with NYC in January.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.