Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Hey SF Bay Area locals: when do you expect you'll fly somewhere for fun?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hey SF Bay Area locals: when do you expect you'll fly somewhere for fun?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Scratch my Helsinki trip end of September. Finnair just cancelled their entire schedule from JFK for the month of September. With the EU not allowing Americans in right now, suspect that trip wasn't going to happen anyway.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by dhuey
It's too bad they didn't put SMF due west of Sacramento, maybe even west of Davis.
I'm getting all sentimental here. My first trip earning Alaska points was a Horizon flight SMF-PDX. Before then, United SMF-ORD. It was back when we would happily drive to any airport in the region just for the kicks of it. STS, OAK, SJC, MRY, SMF, RNO. Haven't tried FAT though.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
My answer to the question posed in the thread title: No idea, really. Maybe mid-2021? But that's probably too optimistic.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I sent in my passport for renewal yesterday. I selected the extra large book for the first time, as I anticipate a lot more international travel in the next decade to make up for all this sitting around time. May we all enjoy long lives in good health and good fortune to allow that.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I sent in my passport for renewal yesterday. I selected the extra large book for the first time, as I anticipate a lot more international travel in the next decade to make up for all this sitting around time. May we all enjoy long lives in good health and good fortune to allow that.
In the meantime, you can simply fly down the hill and have a physically-distanced beverage on my front porch, or back yard. I recommend this antioxidant juice we've been drinking - quite a few brands to sample. Most of it comes in 750ml bottles. Some is imported.
nnn likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
In the meantime, you can simply fly down the hill and have a physically-distanced beverage on my front porch, or back yard. I recommend this antioxidant juice we've been drinking - quite a few brands to sample. Most of it comes in 750ml bottles. Some is imported.
Ha! I'd love to get together, but sans the vino. At the start of the pandemic, I decided to give that up. Too much of a good thing for too long.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
You do realize that it could take a LONG time to process, unless it's literally a "life-or-death emergency," right?

See here: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-covid-19.html

I also need to renew my passport, but not sure that now is the best time to send in the application. Also, it may easily be a year or more before I actually need it.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
You do realize that it could take a LONG time to process, unless it's literally a "life-or-death emergency," right?

See here: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-covid-19.html

I also need to renew my passport, but not sure that now is the best time to send in the application. Also, it may easily be a year or more before I actually need it.
Unless the delay is more than a year, it’s cool. Note the first-in-first-out processing. Now is the time to send in the application if you want it sooner rather than later.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:06 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Took a work trip to Texas in June, long after our firm was locked down, because the judge required me to. I was worried about going, but had no real choice. What I learned from the trip, though, was that flying is possible with relative safety (in my completely non-scientific opinion), so long as you take precautions. As a result, we took a family trip to Vegas by plane in July, and glad we did. (Took significant precautions in Vegas as well.)
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
... Note the first-in-first-out processing. ...
I can’t believe my luck in getting IDs and trips out of the way this past winter, so my mind is elsewhere these days, but I confess to wonder about getting stuck in the queue when applying at a backed up time and somehow getting passed by others who apply later. Maybe I'm just paranoid and need to get out more.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I can’t believe my luck in getting IDs and trips out of the way this past winter, so my mind is elsewhere these days, but I confess to wonder about getting stuck in the queue when applying at a backed up time and somehow getting passed by others who apply later. Maybe I'm just paranoid and need to get out more.
This doesn't look too bad:

The trend is good, with the backlog diminishing each week. Looks like it will be under two months for me, which is about a year before I can imagine traveling internationally at this point. I don't have any loved ones abroad, so I won't have a "life-or-death" need for rapid processing.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Perhaps somewhere international this coming ski season. We did Banff last Thanksgiving, and would go back in a heartbeat, if Canada would allow us.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
This doesn't look too bad:

The trend is good, with the backlog diminishing each week. Looks like it will be under two months for me, which is about a year before I can imagine traveling internationally at this point. I don't have any loved ones abroad, so I won't have a "life-or-death" need for rapid processing.
I also need to apply - mine already expired in late 2019 and then I dawdled!
i thought the rapid process was no longer available.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
I also need to apply - mine already expired in late 2019 and then I dawdled!
i thought the rapid process was no longer available.
See Kathy's link a few posts up. They have a very limited category of "life-or-death" emergency applications. Unless you are one of the few folks who (unfortunately) qualify for that, it's all one big line. They claim it's first-in-first-out, so I think it's best to apply now rather than later.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally, my travel will restart only in baby steps. First, some trips in my own car to locales not too far away. Later, when it seems prudent, some short flights to nearby states. Etc. None of that requires a current passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.