Last edit by: Zorak
Print Wikipost

SFO runway closure 28L Now Oct 8-15 2020

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,UA,AS
SFO runway closure 28L Now Oct 8-15 2020

Looks like runway 28L at SFO will be closed from Sept. 7 to Sept. 27th due to repaving, flight delays expected.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...n-14287442.php
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:07 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
This is gonna suck for short haul flights

if you have one scheduled for this time double check for changes or cancellations.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by squeakr
if you have one scheduled for this time double check for changes or cancellations.
Yep. Almost twice the wait, I’m guessing. I suspect the heavy planes on long flights will be much less affected and have exclusive use of 28R.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:47 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I have at least one afternoon LAX-SFO flight (on DL) during this time period, which I'm not particularly looking forward to; I'd expect that that would be an easy flight them to cancel or delay.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Would this affect flight departing around mid night?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Not much departure traffic at that time. Your bigger risk is where your aircraft is coming in from. If it takes an hour or two arrival delay, it's going to impact your departure no matter how light the departure traffic is.
dhuey and allset2travel like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:38 am

SFO runway closure effect on NH7 (ANA) departure? Worried about my connection

I see that the SFO 28L closure has had some threads on it, but I wanted to ask about my ANA flight specifically. I am departing from SFO in a couple of weeks on flight NH7 (NH007) with All Nippon Airways headed for Tokyo NRT. Some people are saying that long-haul departures shouldn't be significantly affected; however, I have had NH7 delayed by 30-45 minutes due to late arrival of the aircraft from its previous destination. Should I expect further delays due to the significantly lower acceptance capacity? I'm connecting in Tokyo and have only a 1.5 hour connection; I'm worried I will miss the connection. I've tried looking at flying out of San Jose instead, but the fare difference is $2000+ even with the change fee waived.

I have the option of moving this trip to October. Would it be an overreaction to do this? This trip is for vacation and I would hate to lose a day on the trip since I am using all of my PTO on this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:38 pm

Is the connecting flight in Narita on the same ticket?

-David
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:33 pm

Yup, it's on the same ticket so I'm sure I will be rebooked by ANA if I miss the connection. I'm trying to consider if changing plans to October would be better rather than risk losing a day or more of vacation time. Luckily, I have the flexibility to do this. I won't have many options if I proceed this month and the flight is delayed or cancelled.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:18 pm

It's a judgement call at this point. Seems like you understand the risks. Doubtful that anybody here can give you any better advice.

How would you feel if you switched the flight to October and you had a delay?

It's the only flight to your final destination?

-David
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Overreaction.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP - it is entirely up to you.

IME, you are going to be delayed anyway, with or without the closure, as B777s usually take off at 10/28 runways. So it means longer taxi time. And your flight can't take off until the right moment (the gap between landings).
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:25 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Probably depends on backup flight options from NRT if you miss your connection. Are there more flights that day going to wherever it is you're going?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS, UA, AA, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by yamper88
I see that the SFO 28L closure has had some threads on it, but I wanted to ask about my ANA flight specifically. I am departing from SFO in a couple of weeks on flight NH7 (NH007) with All Nippon Airways headed for Tokyo NRT. Some people are saying that long-haul departures shouldn't be significantly affected; however, I have had NH7 delayed by 30-45 minutes due to late arrival of the aircraft from its previous destination. Should I expect further delays due to the significantly lower acceptance capacity? I'm connecting in Tokyo and have only a 1.5 hour connection; I'm worried I will miss the connection. I've tried looking at flying out of San Jose instead, but the fare difference is $2000+ even with the change fee waived.

I have the option of moving this trip to October. Would it be an overreaction to do this? This trip is for vacation and I would hate to lose a day on the trip since I am using all of my PTO on this.
So, today is the first day that the runways are closed (28L for 20 days, 01R for 10, followed by 01L). It's far too soon to say how your SFO-NRT flight will do, but today it did not incur significant delay - that's good news. The thing that will have the biggest impact at the time of your flight will be the availability of 28R for your aircraft as its departure runway. While there will be occasional "holes" in the arrival cue to allow room for your aircraft to depart, the arrivals will be packed fairly tightly since they will be incurring ground delays at their departure airports. I'd keep an eye on the daily performance of NH007 before making any final decisions.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I just heard on KCBS that SFO is expecting average delays of 90 minutes today.

ETA: At 11 am PDT, I took a look at the departures board (I'm bored) and it doesn't look awful. You see 60-90 minute delays on some flights, but you might see that on a good day.

Last edited by dhuey; Sep 8, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.