Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SFO Runway 28L Closure for 20 days starting Sept 7

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 18, 19, 5:36 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 27, 19, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

Apologies if this is a repeat. I searched and found nothing in the Delta forum. https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...f-14379076.php

I can't find anything in the news about how DL is going to manage this and there is currently nothing about it in DL's Current Advisories. I have a flight with a SEA connection out of there during that period. My layover is fairly long, but that was me being cautious before I knew about this. I'm seeing lots of SFO-XXX-XXX with short connections being offered still. Anybody know anything?
Old Aug 27, 19, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
UA has a waiver up (although they are only letting people move flights by a day in either direction, presumably so you can choose to arrive a day in advance of an important meeting or whatever)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-expected.html

(blatant speculation) Maybe DL feels because they have fewer flights they don't have to adjust their ops as much?

Early morning flights should be less affected, so depending on the time of day of your flight you might not need to worry. Else, you could try calling proactively to see if they will work with you on changing to an earlier flight, or going out of OAK/SJC instead.
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:29 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
No big deal. SFO loses a runway anytime it's foggy. Which is a very frequent occurrence. Even on a typical day, a quarter of the departures from SFO are delayed. DL's schedules already assumes that its planes will have to wait in line a while to take off and land at SFO. Because of this padding, impacts will be minor on DL. Also, RJs generally take the brunt of the delays when this kind of thing happens, and DL has very few RJs left at SFO.
HDQDD and dalehill like this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:03 am

I'd bet it affects inbound flights more than departures. Arrivals from LAX already frequently hit ground holds (before takeoff) for traffic, weather, timing, whims, etc.
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ed285 View Post
I'd bet it affects inbound flights more than departures. Arrivals from LAX already frequently hit ground holds (before takeoff) for traffic, weather, timing, whims, etc.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure my plane just bounces back and forth between SEA and SFO, and it's a 10-something am flight so...late. It's a voluntary long weekend. Don't really need to do it but DL not offering waivers, so long weekend in YVR may be a little less long. Such is life, I guess.
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by dalehill View Post
... so long weekend in YVR may be a little less long. Such is life, I guess.
I'm guessing the delay will be less than the time it took you to write this thread, and you'll probably arrive on time . Really don't think you have too much to worry about.
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
I'm guessing the delay will be less than the time it took you to write this thread, and you'll probably arrive on time . Really don't think you have too much to worry about.
"...To try and mitigate the problem, SFO has worked with airlines to reduce their flight volume by about 13 percent. But even with that planning, SFO is still anticipating delays between 30 minutes and 2 hours." https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...n-14287442.php

It did not take me 2 hours or even 30 minutes to write this thread, but thanks for the reassurance.
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:30 am

DL also has relatively few flights at SFO, so if ATC comes down and says airlines need to reduce the schedule by another 10%, for Delta that's less than 10 flights, so the odds of it hitting you are slight. Also I'd bet that DL wouldn't hit your SEA flight as they are are trying to connect people TPAC there, and especially a flight from SFO, means they "stole" someone from *A. Much more likely that they'd cancel a flight to MSP or SLC or DTW where it's easy to re-route the affected passengers through another hub.
dalehill likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by dalehill View Post
"...To try and mitigate the problem, SFO has worked with airlines to reduce their flight volume by about 13 percent. But even with that planning, SFO is still anticipating delays between 30 minutes and 2 hours." https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...n-14287442.php

It did not take me 2 hours or even 30 minutes to write this thread, but thanks for the reassurance.
You should read my post above. I've been thru several previous rounds of SFO runway maintenance. The significant delays are usually limited to RJs. SFO delays are already factored into DL's schedule. I wouldn't expect much impact on DL's operation and I think it's likely you will arrive on time, or within 10 minutes or so (kinda like I said, the time to write this thread)
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
I wonder if this will affect departures as well because the construction is where 10R/28L intersects both of the 1/19's.
Old Aug 28, 19, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
I wonder if this will affect departures as well because the construction is where 10R/28L intersects both of the 1/19's.
I'm a bit fuzzy on that as well, but it doesn't mention the 1s being closed, and if SFO were down to 28R for all movements then this would be a much bigger catastrophe than it's being advertised.
Old Aug 28, 19, 3:01 pm

My understanding is that 1/19 closures will be only between 1am and 5am, but I can't find an official source on that, so no promises
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by findark View Post
I'm a bit fuzzy on that as well, but it doesn't mention the 1s being closed, and if SFO were down to 28R for all movements then this would be a much bigger catastrophe than it's being advertised.
I think it's fair to assume that they wouldn't close both the 1's. That would be a disaster. But, they had both the 1's closed for a while in 2014 to add EMAS at the beginning of the 1's (end of the 19's) and all operations were using the 10/28's.
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:35 pm

I think it's fair to assume that they wouldn't close both the 1's. That would be a disaster. But, they had both the 1's closed for a while in 2014 to add EMAS at the beginning of the 1's (end of the 19's) and all operations were using the 10/28's.
The press release is very clear that they are closing one runway: 28L. Seems like if they had plans to close the 1's, they would have mentioned it
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
The press release is very clear that they are closing one runway: 28L. Seems like if they had plans to close the 1's, they would have mentioned it
Here's the description of the project from the construction bid web site:

Runway 28L Reconstruction

This Project will reconstruct Runway 28L between Taxiways Echo and Lima, crossing Runways 1L and 1R, to improve long term durability and performance of the runway. The Project will demolish existing pavement structure down to subgrade and reconstruct the middle section of the runway from the ground up. Runway lighting infrastructure impacted by the reconstruction area will be replaced. Two deteriorated storm drain lines that cross under this section of the runway will be replaced. New runway pavement will be grooved and striped. In addition, this Project will provide an overlay of Runway 1L, extending 300 feet from each side of the Runway 28L centerline.
From this description, and from the pictorial diagram provided by the airport authority, it does seem pretty clear that the planned construction affects the intersection of 28L with both 1L/19R and 1R/19L. Each of the 1/19 runways must be out of service during portions of this project.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: