New helicopter service to link San Francisco Bay area airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New helicopter service to link San Francisco Bay area airports

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
In case any one was wondering that helicopter crash at Hayward Executive Airport was NOT associated with Voom but did shut down there operations out of Hayward for at least a day as it apparently was using the same pad area.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:57 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

No service on weekends and no bookings allowed past the middle of August, at least as of today.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
No service on weekends and no bookings allowed past the middle of August, at least as of today.
Do you have a link to the booking page, I am missing it...
All I see is Mexico City and Sao Paulo
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I believe it was temporarily taken down. I had pre registered with them during a brief period prior to shutting down the booking page and get "personal" invites to fly on limited schedule and routes. If you want to call it a soft opening I guess you could use that term. My wife has been trying to try the service but without weekends and limited routes now she has had no luck (she also preregistered with Voom).
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Out of curiosity, I took a look at the Blade helicopter service in NYC. I was surprised to see that you can't bring a regular-size suitcase (one that you would check) aboard. Only carry-on. I'm guessing that would be the case here in the Bay Area as well. Only so much space in the copter. I might just splurge on that one day ($195 one way) for the experience.

What a great helicopter ride it would be to go from somewhere in northern Marin to SFO. I'd almost be tempted to drive there from Berkeley to experience it.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
Out of curiosity, I took a look at the Blade helicopter service in NYC. I was surprised to see that you can't bring a regular-size suitcase (one that you would check) aboard. Only carry-on. I'm guessing that would be the case here in the Bay Area as well. Only so much space in the copter. I might just splurge on that one day ($195 one way) for the experience.

What a great helicopter ride it would be to go from somewhere in northern Marin to SFO. I'd almost be tempted to drive there from Berkeley to experience it.
Why drive yourself? Down The Hill Lexus Transport will take you there for only $194.95. [I need to keep the cost lower than the actual helicopter ride.]
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey
Out of curiosity, I took a look at the Blade helicopter service in NYC. I was surprised to see that you can't bring a regular-size suitcase (one that you would check) aboard. Only carry-on. I'm guessing that would be the case here in the Bay Area as well. Only so much space in the copter. I might just splurge on that one day ($195 one way) for the experience..
Good point, I don't know but I will find out what the baggage restrictions are. Blade is apparently there competition and perhaps why they are not jumping into the NYC market. They apparently have service in Seattle now as well.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:34 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I have to imagine that the route from Marin down to SFO would feel a bit like the opening credit sequence for the 70s movie The Towering Inferno! www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmyzmwzH_3A

(I don't think I'd pay for the trip myself, though it does sound scenic)
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ryw
I have to imagine that the route from Marin down to SFO would feel a bit like the opening credit sequence for the 70s movie The Towering Inferno! www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmyzmwzH_3A

Thanks! That was fun. I liked how the fake tower they put South of Market is about the same shape and size of the Salesforce Tower.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryw

Yeah thanks, great clip. i only hope the service would be that cool. It looks like they came out of Point Reyes (west Marin) however. Don't think they will soon be providing service out of west Marin.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Well it seems Voom got off to a slow start but was told they are looking at a full start up date of Sept 25. Right now it seems flights are limited to friends and fam and Airbus employees. My wife tried to book a flight over a month ago and was told of the limited service at that time. Still hoping they can expand service into Marin, Napa, and Sonoma counties.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Seems as good a thread as any to post this. SF Gate did a short article on Kitty Hawk and its work on "robo" air taxis. From what I can see it seems Kitty Hawk and Airbus/Zoom may end up competing for commuter flights over the bay and linking airports throughout bay area. Both are working on autonomous vertical flying crafts and looking to use them as air taxis. Not sure how soon I will get into one but be certain they are coming. Perhaps they will initially be more like Bruce Willis and his air taxi in the movie the 5th Element, I could POSSIBLY go for that.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:50 am

Booking now.

https://www.voom.flights/en/regions/...cisco-bay-area

EXAMPLE JOURNEYS
San Francisco International Airport (SFO) → Napa County Airport (APC)From $425
Average time: 25 minutes

San Francisco Airport (SFO) → San Jose International Airport (SJC)From $285
Average time: 20 minutes

San Jose International Airport (SJO) → Oakland International Airport (OAK)From $245
Average time: 20 minutes

Palo Alto Airport (PAO) → San Francisco International Airport (SFO)From $220
Average time: 10 minutes
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Announced formal opening of business at Revolution Aero yesterday. From the data listed above the rates seem very competitive. PAO to SFO at $220 is going to get taken for sure. I don't know how they do it with the landing fees at SFO?! I can also see people jumping on the SFO-APC flight at $425, I sort of figured this route was coming and I guess it is a reality now. Anyone who has driven that at rush hour will be all over that as well. Still no word that I know of on SFO/OAK to the Sausalito heliport but perhaps soon to come. Well good luck to Voom! If Airbus stay committed they should be fine.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:56 pm

Very interesting. Thanks for posting, returnoftheyeti.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.