FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   New helicopter service to link San Francisco Bay area airports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1972478-new-helicopter-service-link-san-francisco-bay-area-airports.html)

nomad420 Jun 3, 2019 11:00 am

New helicopter service to link San Francisco Bay area airports

Don't know any of the details but a new helicopter service called Voom is soon to link bay area airports. I hope they plan to use the old helipad in Sausalito, years ago (pre 9/11) they had service to SFO from the heliport at Sausalito which was very convenient. I am sure more details will follow. As I am traveling from the North Bay to San Jose airport this AM it would sure have been nice to take a helicopter there. Even the limo service is $250 each way. Good Luck Vroom!

dhuey Jun 3, 2019 3:33 pm

I just asked my wife if she’d be up for this. Nope.

lhrsfo Jun 4, 2019 10:34 am

Voom seems to be an Airbus company, currently operating in Sao Paulo and Mexico City, but with a management team in Seattle. It seems to be an on-demand service, rather than scheduled but clearly they've got big money behind them so might well decide to do such a thing. I wonder, though, about the demand. I can't see a service between Bay Area airports as it's easy to drive between SFO and SJC and there's not much connectivity required for OAK. About the only thing that would make any sense (ie where there's demand and money to pay for it) would be Marin to any of the airports. Would be an amazing flight.

Eastbay1K Jun 4, 2019 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 31167274)
I just asked my wife if she’d be up for this. Nope.

I'm sure if they set up a helipad @ Grizzly Peak with a nonstop right to SFO, she just might reconsider. ;)

nomad420 Jun 4, 2019 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 31169706)
Voom seems to be an Airbus company, currently operating in Sao Paulo and Mexico City, but with a management team in Seattle. It seems to be an on-demand service, rather than scheduled but clearly they've got big money behind them so might well decide to do such a thing. I wonder, though, about the demand. I can't see a service between Bay Area airports as it's easy to drive between SFO and SJC and there's not much connectivity required for OAK. About the only thing that would make any sense (ie where there's demand and money to pay for it) would be Marin to any of the airports. Would be an amazing flight.

Yeah I heard it was Airbus so they must have the funding. They did have (years back) heli service to SFO, OAK, and SJC out of Sausalito and my business partener used it occasionally. Now with the Bay area traffic even worse I am not surprised someone is taking another stab at it. Yesterday went to SJC for $250 limo service one way so I can see it. Also, in the future they may not be actual helicopters but some kind of vertical take off vehicle. Well maybe not tomorrow but a few years down the road.

dhuey Jun 4, 2019 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 31170470)
I'm sure if they set up a helipad @ Grizzly Peak with a nonstop right to SFO, she just might reconsider. ;)

I’m sure that would make no difference. She’d be terrified in a helicopter.

nomad420 Jun 4, 2019 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 31170986)

I’m sure that would make no difference. She’d be terrified in a helicopter.

I assume the same would go for a unnamed vertical take off drone. :p

dhuey Jun 4, 2019 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 31171019)
I assume the same would go for a unnamed vertical take off drone. :p

I just checked with her. Your assumption is correct.

ryw Jun 4, 2019 9:34 pm

Well I'm probably not in the financial demographic this service is likely targeting. Though I'm curious if helicopters get stymied in the fog/cloud cover at SFO? (Though I suppose it doesn't matter as much if both your flight and helicopter are delayed!)

mjm Jun 5, 2019 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 31170470)

Where would we put it up there? I'd love that.

Eastbay1K Jun 6, 2019 9:37 am

Originally Posted by mjm (Post 31175157)

"We?" HA. You. But I might suggest that "who needs a Tilden Park Merry Go Round when you can have Tilden to Terminal Rapid Heliservice."

dhuey Jun 6, 2019 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by mjm (Post 31175157)

I’m guessing the Lake Anza parking lot has been used for helicopter landings in emergencies. The parks agency probably wouldn’t let it be used for airport shuttles, however.

mjm Jun 7, 2019 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 31176416)
"We?" HA. You. But I might suggest that "who needs a Tilden Park Merry Go Round when you can have Tilden to Terminal Rapid Heliservice."

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 31177813)

I’m guessing the Lake Anza parking lot has been used for helicopter landings in emergencies. The parks agency probably wouldn’t let it be used for airport shuttles, however.

As much as I'd love it, I think wee'd have to stay away from residential overflying and limited road access. By the pier somewhere at the bottom of University could work

returnoftheyeti Jun 9, 2019 12:20 am

Like Helipads are going to be allowed anywhere.

San Francisco available Helicopter Landing Sites

nomad420 Jun 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti (Post 31184383)
Like Helipads are going to be allowed anywhere.

San Francisco available Helicopter Landing Sites

No planned service out of the The City for multiple reasons. As I previously noted the service will initially link the Bay Area commercial airports (Executive terminals) with transportation to the main commercial terminals. Looks like Palo Alto and Hayward Executive Airport will also be initially linked in as pick-up/drop-off points. The "new" Hayward executive flight center as well as the SJC executive terminal air beautiful. Marin previously had service years back and will most likely be added in the near future, where exactly not sure but the existing heli pad at Sausalito and / or Gnos field are good beats. They will have to keeps fees reasonable and in competition with limo service given the time difference. I just paid $240 each way for limo service from Marin to SJC so I can see some throwing $300 at a 15 heli ride down the Peninsula. Very ambitious of Air Bus/Voom but good luck.