Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

recomendations for a solo diner

Old Jan 11, 18, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro

How about some suggestions for a solo diner in San Francisco? Someplace I don't have to get dressed up for after walking around (cargo pants, polo shirt). And preferably not Asian or Mexican. any place I can get to by public transit is in.

Oh, and also I can't do Seafood.
Old Jan 11, 18, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
Kind of a goofy suggestion

I like the restaurant on the top floor of Nordstrom. Itís in the Westfield Center, and thereís lots of tables for two that solo diners use. If you snag one of the tables against the window you have a nice view Ė not world-class but very pleasant. And the food is quite decent with a very good wine selection.

The other really more casual place is the market bar in the Twitter building. Thereís a big fancy grocery store on the ground floor next to the Twitter entrance, and if you go all the way back to the bar, you can sit at a small table or at the counter and order from any number of the food purveyors there Ė you said no tacos but thereís decent pizza, burgers etc. More bar food kind of stuff. A good beer and wine list as well..

Old Jan 11, 18, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

OK, so I know this is totally not what I asked for, but... the House of Prime Rib - OK for a solo diner? And how dressed up do yu need to be to go there?
Old Jan 11, 18, 11:56 pm

San Francisco is super casual about dress. You can wear pretty much anything you want anywhere. No one will turn you away. Cargo Pants and a Polo are going to mark you as a tourist, swap to jeans and a hoodie and they will just think you are a local.

Solo dining is not an issue at all. Its easy to get a seat at the counter of the in demand places. House of Prime Rib will have no issues for you. Just make a reservation for 1.

Try 5A5 steakhouse, Commonwealth. Anything that catches your eye on Valencia or Mission st.
Old Jan 12, 18, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I really like Barbacco (Financial District) and fortunately, SF (including this place) has many places with full dining available at the bar. If you are really into wine, you could check out the Barrel Room. Those are just the first two that come to mind.
Old Jan 12, 18, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Down in the Marina, I very much enjoy both Bistro Aix and Isa, both of which have a bar where you can sit solo, along with appropriate tables for solo diners. More centrally, I like Sanraku (not sure if your dislikes extend to Japanese), again with a bar. In the design district, try Skool for excellent fish, also with a bar.
Old Jan 12, 18, 12:42 pm

Another vote for Barbacco.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I really like Barbacco (Financial District) and fortunately, SF (including this place) has many places with full dining available at the bar. If you are really into wine, you could check out the Barrel Room. Those are just the first two that come to mind.
another vote for Barbacco. Not so much for the marina restaurants Ė Iíve had a couple of really disappointing meals at Isa - itís really crowded and very noisy and I wouldnít think would be much fun for solo diner.
Old Jan 13, 18, 1:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
If you're up for a 15-20 mins cab or BART ride, i'd recommend Locanda or Beretta in the Mission. Or, as mentioned above, just walk up/down Valencia St until you find something you like.
Nopa in North of Panhandle also has a communal table but a bit harder to get to via public transport
Old Jan 13, 18, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by HSaxa View Post
If you're up for a 15-20 mins cab or BART ride, i'd recommend Locanda or Beretta in the Mission. Or, as mentioned above, just walk up/down Valencia St until you find something you like.
Nopa in North of Panhandle also has a communal table but a bit harder to get to via public transport
I wouldn't say Nopa is any harder to get to via public transport. You could take the 5 bus (an electric trolleybus) from downtown SF to McAllister & Divisadero Sts., then walk 3 blocks south to the restaurant (on Divisadero near Hayes St.). Or the 21 bus would work well also.

As gaobest points out below, Hayes Valley has plenty of good eats. The 21 will get you there.

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Jan 14, 18 at 2:35 am
Old Jan 14, 18, 1:01 am

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Everywhere is fine for a solo diner - sounds like European, meat, chicken, and pork
hayes valley has RT chicken, rich table, suppenkuche, jardiniere, souvla, petit Crenn, absinthe, Dobbs ferry, Hayes St grill, Stacks, Zuni, 20th century, paxtis pizza, and Chez Maman ...
plus it's flat
also salt & straw, la Boulangerie, Johnny doughnuts, Hayes bakeworks, and smitten for dessert
plus Flight001 if you need anything for the airport
Old Jan 15, 18, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
OK, so I know this is totally not what I asked for, but... the House of Prime Rib - OK for a solo diner? And how dressed up do yu need to be to go there?
This is fine, and the dress is extremely casual. Or, you can try Harris' Steakhouse (block or two away from House of Prime Rib), where you can dine at the tables in the Bar area. And, if you go during certain days, there's live jazz too. Very casual dress, but steak is good for Bay Area standards, however mediocre when compared to the dry aged strips in NY, and especially the Chicago well marbled dry aged ribeyes.

Only downside is that, for some inexplicable reason, they no longer offer a ribeye, but do have prime rib.

PS - Morton's Happy Hour in the financial district is more convenient, if heading to SFO/OAK after dinner. In addition, Ruth's Chris probably has the best ribeye in SF, though it's only wet aged, but at least the chef there understands the nuance or "medium rare," as it pertains to ribeyes. However, I assume you've been to these chains, and wanted something unique to SF, hence Harris'/HOPR.

Last edited by Visconti; Jan 15, 18 at 11:39 am Reason: Adding PS...
Old Jan 15, 18, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

I totally did not make Dinner the other night. Was busying wandering around, was going to go to this Italian place I heard about but it was closed, then Barbacco had nothing I wanted, and Embarcadero market was closed, so I just snacked around. Next time I need ot plan my time better, I forgot how hard it is getting around San Francisco.
Old Jan 16, 18, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I totally did not make Dinner the other night. Was busying wandering around, was going to go to this Italian place I heard about but it was closed, then Barbacco had nothing I wanted, and Embarcadero market was closed, so I just snacked around. Next time I need ot plan my time better, I forgot how hard it is getting around San Francisco.
It's not hard getting around San Francisco!

You do need to research opening/closing hours in advance, perhaps even check some menus online in advance to make sure they offer some dishes you like.... This applies to pretty much every place, not just SF. (Only exception might be a tiny village with one street and a mere handful of places to eat.)
malgudi likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 4:00 pm

Sorry we didnít know your date was coming up so soon

Sorry we didnít know your date was coming up so soon- we couldíve made some specific suggestions or let you know about places you might need a reservation.

not sure where you were trying to get to, but itís true that sometimes public transport sucks. Lyft and Uber are very common here and usually when I used to get around if I have limited time.
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 18, 18, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
where you can dine at the tables in the Bar area.
Or at the bar itself, in restaurants that have bars. In so many high-demand venues -- sports events, shows, restaurants, the best roller coasters at theme parks -- you're at a big advantage if you seek only one seat.

Search this Thread