Napa Valley

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Napa Valley

Searched and found nothing relevant re Napa Valley

So the GF and I are going to SFO in August for six days, 1st two days are kid free so we are thinking of a 2 day trip (one night) in NV

What are some of the places to stay that you recommend?

Given the limited amount of time, what are the particular wineries that we should put on the must visit list?

I went back in the 90's but really don't remember too much about it except it was huge and you can't visit them all LOL

thanks
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
There are no less than 55 (fifty-five) threads with "Napa" in the title in the San Francisco forum. (Found them by going to the San Francisco forum, then clicking "Search this forum", "Advanced", search using "titles only" on "Napa.")

I suggest you browse there for a while.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

I went back in the 90's but really don't remember too much about it except it was huge and you can't visit them all LOL

thanks
I would suggest that your experience in 2017 will be nothing like "back in the 90s" and not in a good way. I have no remaining Napa Valley places on the "must visit" list. I am not important enough.

But what particularly are you looking for? Simple or luxurious accommodation? Manipulated oakbomb Chardonnay or big Cabs or something different? Are you regular wine drinkers with preferences, wish to open your palates, or just want to explore?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:06 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Please follow this discussion as it moves to the San Francisco forum.

TWA884
California moderator
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:43 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Napa valley is a big place

Some ideas

We liked this place a lot - adults only and wine tasting in the afternoons.
http://www.senzahotel.com/#gref

I'd also consider Calistoga as a place to stay with excellent wineries nearby especially if you plan to do some drinking.
https://www.napavalley.com/blog/the-...-in-calistoga/
For hotels we like the Mount View Hotel and Indian Springs.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Consider the town of Napa.
Andaz Napa was just redone after the earthquake a couple of years ago.
1800 First is a nice boutique hotel disguised as a B&B in a Victorian about 10 minutes pleasant stroll from downtown.
Oenotri - right across the street from the Andaz -is good for casual dining.
Morimoto Napa for a more memorable meal.
Some people turn their noses up at Napa, usually dropping St. Helena or Yountville as preferences. Napa is a more "real" town than those, which (imo) are essentially upscale tourist towns.
Depends on what you like.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I would suggest that your experience in 2017 will be nothing like "back in the 90s" and not in a good way. I have no remaining Napa Valley places on the "must visit" list. I am not important enough.

But what particularly are you looking for? Simple or luxurious accommodation? Manipulated oakbomb Chardonnay or big Cabs or something different? Are you regular wine drinkers with preferences, wish to open your palates, or just want to explore?
Looking for Cabs but I'm not a wine snob. GF is though and she likes cabs. Definitely looking mid scale, not high end but not the bottom of the barrell either

as for the SF forum, never would have guessed that Napa would fall under that as opposed to a general CA forum, go figure
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Take a look at Sonoma as well. You may be surprised what you can find there..
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:04 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
as for the SF forum, never would have guessed that Napa would fall under that as opposed to a general CA forum, go figure
The forum's description is:
San Francisco, Bay Area and vicinity, including Napa Valley. Key airports San Francisco (SFO), Oakland (OAK), and San Jose (SJC)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:55 pm

Another note

All the Napa wineries we've been to charge a tasting fee per person. Some will put it towards the purchase of a bottle and some will not. If you're really looking for high-end cabs, you might investigate which wineries will likely have that wine and purchase a bottle to bring to your room or whatever.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squeakr
All the Napa wineries we've been to charge a tasting fee per person. Some will put it towards the purchase of a bottle and some will not. If you're really looking for high-end cabs, you might investigate which wineries will likely have that wine and purchase a bottle to bring to your room or whatever.
thanks

I guess I assumed that we would be paying tasting fees anyway

good point on which places will put it towards a credit toward a bottle

We can't buy too much though as we have to get it home
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
There are coupons to be had (online using Google, or via credit cards, etc.) that can reduce the wine tasting fees -- sometimes making them a two-for-one deal, occasionally free, etc.

(I realize that the fees are generally affordable for anyone who can afford to fly to SFO, rent a car, stay in a decent hotel, eat at nice restaurants, etc. -- it's just a tip that could save you a few bucks.)
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:38 pm
mjm
Original Member

I like Rick's suggestions on being in Napa. Oenotri is awesome and there are others int he are as well. I also like LA Toque at the Westin for a good meal. Most places will allow corkage now and if you are big enough drinkers will waive one bottle for a bottle bought off the list.

If this is a once in a long while sort of trip I woiuld recommend some olfder some newer,.

e.g. I think Chateau Montelana is a musty for visitors. Do the library tasting, more fun. As long as you are up there try a place called EMH. The lady who runs it makes great cabs and only cabs from a small plot of land. Tell her I said hi. :-) A pairing woth Ch. Montelena is obviously Stags Leap. Those two won the original Taste of Paris back in the 70's. For the final piece of that puzzle I recommend Grgich Hills bcause the winemaker there was the winemaker at Ch. Montelena for the Chard that won. Great whites there. And for a bit of Disneyland, (hey why not right?) how about a trip to Darioush. Very good quality but way over th top in glitz and glam. Fun to see and taste though. Good people. I think a fun stop is also the bubbles at Schramsberg. They are light years ahead of anyone else in the area for bubbles. You could stop at Opus or Qunitessa or Mondavi or Kenzo Estate, but you will be all the way mainstream at that point. ;-) Not bad juice though.

The place I would absolutely visit if I liked Pinot Noir as well is Failla. One of California's greatest winemakers (with Pinot more than Chardonnay IMHO). and very nice people.

Let me know if you have questions.

M.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
Consider the town of Napa.
Andaz Napa was just redone after the earthquake a couple of years ago.
1800 First is a nice boutique hotel disguised as a B&B in a Victorian about 10 minutes pleasant stroll from downtown.
Oenotri - right across the street from the Andaz -is good for casual dining.
Morimoto Napa for a more memorable meal.
Some people turn their noses up at Napa, usually dropping St. Helena or Yountville as preferences. Napa is a more "real" town than those, which (imo) are essentially upscale tourist towns.
Depends on what you like.
We are staying at the Andaz. I've never stayed at an Andaz so that will be new for me (and her) as well.

Thanks for the tips on eats. What is memorable about Morimoto?

Originally Posted by mjm
I like Rick's suggestions on being in Napa. Oenotri is awesome and there are others int he are as well. I also like LA Toque at the Westin for a good meal. Most places will allow corkage now and if you are big enough drinkers will waive one bottle for a bottle bought off the list.

If this is a once in a long while sort of trip I woiuld recommend some olfder some newer,.

e.g. I think Chateau Montelana is a musty for visitors. Do the library tasting, more fun. As long as you are up there try a place called EMH. The lady who runs it makes great cabs and only cabs from a small plot of land. Tell her I said hi. :-) A pairing woth Ch. Montelena is obviously Stags Leap. Those two won the original Taste of Paris back in the 70's. For the final piece of that puzzle I recommend Grgich Hills bcause the winemaker there was the winemaker at Ch. Montelena for the Chard that won. Great whites there. And for a bit of Disneyland, (hey why not right?) how about a trip to Darioush. Very good quality but way over th top in glitz and glam. Fun to see and taste though. Good people. I think a fun stop is also the bubbles at Schramsberg. They are light years ahead of anyone else in the area for bubbles. You could stop at Opus or Qunitessa or Mondavi or Kenzo Estate, but you will be all the way mainstream at that point. ;-) Not bad juice though.

The place I would absolutely visit if I liked Pinot Noir as well is Failla. One of California's greatest winemakers (with Pinot more than Chardonnay IMHO). and very nice people.

Let me know if you have questions.

M.
This is really a side trip to kill a couple of days before we head into SF for the week. I'm not a huge wine buy but she is very much into it. She loves cabs and that is probably my preference as well. Although I don't mind Merlot either.

EMH sounds like something we are seeking. Shoot me a PM as to who I'm saying Hi for, unless she is a FT and I can say mjm LOL

So realistically if we have one afternoon/evening and the next day (but not evening) and I have to drive the next evening, what could we realistically expect to conquer in that amount of time? or to rephrase, to enjoy ourselves but still see as much as we can, how many wineries are we likely to experience?

thanks
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:36 am

Wineries are usually not open in the evenings for tasting

most wineries are open 10 AM to 5 PM or something like that.

And you should Google Morimoto if you are considering having dinner there. Morimoto was one of the original iron chefs with a couple of outposts here in the states. Reviews of his restaurants are very mixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.