Oakland Museum of California

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Oakland Museum of California

http://museumca.org/

What a nice museum. I've lived in the East Bay for over 30 years, and never had been, until yesterday. The place is back on the BofA Museums on Us roster, so we went to take a peek. It may have one of the best displays of California history anywhere, presented in a "diplomatic, but still a bit of the knife is out" fashion, such as the pre-Columbian section called "Before The Other People Came." We decided to skip the Art Gallery, as we can return "for the same price" as long as the museum remains on the BofA program. Lots of interactive areas for kids.

Extremely BART-convenient - a couple of blocks from Lake Merritt Station.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:41 am

Recently remodeled Gallery of California Natural Sciences is great http://museumca.org/gallery-california-natural-sciences

As is the Gallery of California Art - many classic western works
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I love the place.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:15 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Despite living in S.F., we've been members for over 20 years, mainly because of the excellent California art collection.

Probably has the best 19th c. and modern collection focusing on Calif. artists in N. Calif., except for Sacramento's Crocker, and the newly-opened UC Davis Shrem Museum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.