Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

When to Visit San Francisco - Planning for tourist.

When to Visit San Francisco - Planning for tourist.

Old Feb 16, 17, 8:05 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,105
When to Visit San Francisco - Planning for tourist.

1) Jan and Feb can be warm - ish (60s) but it also can be monsoon style rains
2) June and July are cold and foggy, but drive a half hour across a bridge and it will be 20 degrees warmer.
3) the week of Burning Man is the best week for low crowds and easy to get restaurant reservations.
4) the best weather is September and October
5) Check Moscone's schedule to see what conventions are in town. https://www.moscone.com/site/do/event/list 1 hall is small, 2 halls is large, 3 halls basically means you cant get a hotel in the city.
6). Fleet week is worth coming for, but save your pennies.
Discuss.
returnoftheyeti is offline  
Old Feb 16, 17, 8:32 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 4,655
Agreed - but don't forget Airbnb and vbro etc because there's lots of inventory.

Is there any bad time to visit? Definitely not during DREAMFORCE in October.

Potential visitors can post their dates and we can say what, if anything, is negative about the date of interest.

I live in SF and everyday is fun and busy and packed with traffic but it's still very easy to get a nice meal with open table and Yelp reservations. And caviar and other mobile delivery apps means that I can get really yummy meals delivered and the extra fee and extra cash tip is worth the cost of staying home. Sometimes I'll order from 2-3 places to satisfy my household.
gaobest is offline  
Old Feb 17, 17, 1:36 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Belgium
Programs: Miles&More IHG
Posts: 148
In San Francisco from 3/4 evening till 6/4 morning.. is that ok?
Koja78 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 17, 1:38 am
  #4  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 11,767
Originally Posted by Koja78 View Post
In San Francisco from 3/4 evening till 6/4 morning.. is that ok?
The average American reading this will be under the impression that you're spending three months in San Francisco. That would be great.
TWA884 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 17, 6:49 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Belgium
Programs: Miles&More IHG
Posts: 148
Haha.. I wish my budget would stretch that far! So 3rd April till 6th

Would I be able to get extra discounts with the “Trump Slump” ? :-p
Koja78 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 17, 8:25 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 4,655
Originally Posted by Koja78 View Post
Haha.. I wish my budget would stretch that far! So 3rd April till 6th

Would I be able to get extra discounts with the “Trump Slump” ? :-p
It's a good time - it may even be warm! But I doubt discounts will exist in SF for anything. Try to reserve anything you want to do. Have a fun trip!
gaobest is offline  
Old Mar 23, 17, 2:12 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ, ON
Programs: UA 1K (MM)
Posts: 386
Originally Posted by Koja78 View Post
In San Francisco from 3/4 evening till 6/4 morning.. is that ok?
Soooo ... not a local but I spent enough time in the Moscone Halls.

Did you get your hotel settled and do you have any particular interests that could serve as starting points for any recommends by locals (or others)?

Cheers.
SLC-YYZ is offline  
Old Mar 23, 17, 4:56 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 43,216
It's hard to beat September and October. It's our best weather and the crowds tend to be down from the summer travel season.
dhuey is offline  
Old Mar 24, 17, 1:17 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Belgium
Programs: Miles&More IHG
Posts: 148
Originally Posted by SLC-YYZ View Post
Soooo ... not a local but I spent enough time in the Moscone Halls.

Did you get your hotel settled and do you have any particular interests that could serve as starting points for any recommends by locals (or others)?

Cheers.
Hotel settled (HI golden gateway... alcatraz booked...
Flight LAX-SFO booked
(just have to check how to get from SFO to hotel late at night with kids)

Other than that.. general plan: the alcatraz day we will spend with other attractions nearby... the other day... around chinatown probably.
Open for suggestions.. especially good low budget ones :-)
(as honestly.. coming from a well of western european country... US prices for attractions are extremely expensive)
Koja78 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 17, 6:24 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,101
Originally Posted by Koja78 View Post
Hotel settled (HI golden gateway... alcatraz booked...
Flight LAX-SFO booked
(just have to check how to get from SFO to hotel late at night with kids)

Other than that.. general plan: the alcatraz day we will spend with other attractions nearby... the other day... around chinatown probably.
Open for suggestions.. especially good low budget ones :-)
(as honestly.. coming from a well of western european country... US prices for attractions are extremely expensive)
Most of Golden Gate Park is free and beautiful, as is Fort Point.

Alcatraz is a beat-up decommissioned prison and highly overrated, but tastes differ.
CDTraveler is offline  
Old Mar 24, 17, 10:51 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 43,216
Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
Most of Golden Gate Park is free and beautiful, as is Fort Point.

Alcatraz is a beat-up decommissioned prison and highly overrated, but tastes differ.
Alcatraz is beaten up alright, but it is important historically; visiting it is a unique experience. I agree re GG Park and Fort Point. The Cal. Academy of Sciences is particularly good.
dhuey is offline  
Old Mar 24, 17, 1:13 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,101
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
The Cal. Academy of Sciences is particularly good.
The Academy of Sciences is fabulous, we were members for several years. But is is not inexpensive:

$34.95 - Adult
$29.95 - Senior (ages 65+)
$29.95 - Student
$29.95 - Youth (ages 12–17)
$24.95 - Child (ages 4–11)
Children ages 3 and under are free
CDTraveler is offline  
Old Mar 24, 17, 2:28 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 43,216
Cable car fare is $7 per, including kids. There's no getting around how San Francisco is an expensive vacation destination.
dhuey is offline  
Old Mar 24, 17, 3:18 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,587
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Cable car fare is $7 per, including kids. There's no getting around how San Francisco is an expensive vacation destination.
For those visiting the first full weekend of a any month, the Bank of America Museums on Us program offers free admission (for BofA cardholders) to 3 of our fine museums:


San Francisco
Contemporary Jewish Museum
Legion of Honor
de Young Museum
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 12:54 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,101
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Alcatraz is beaten up alright, but it is important historically; visiting it is a unique experience.
Keep in mind I was responding to a poster asking about low budget attractions.

Alcatraz for 2 adults, 2 kids: $120.50 + fees.

If you want a scenic boat ride, you can take a ride on the ferry. Same party of 4, <$20.

Also, exactly what makes Alcatraz so important? That Al Capone was there, or the Native American occupation of 1969-1971?
CDTraveler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread