Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak to SF area, where to get off?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You'll find Uber and Lyft mobiles at pretty much any hour in SF - your real worst worst extremely unlikely case is that you'll have to get two smaller vehicles. You also still have the option of bagging the bus and checking Uber / Lyft options as you arrive at the station.
Good to know. There was a terrible review on Yelp about 60 people dumped at a bus stop at 3 a.m. all fighting for cabs and it taking hours to get to the hotel a few miles away.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by 3hearts
Good to know. There was a terrible review on Yelp about 60 people dumped at a bus stop at 3 a.m. all fighting for cabs and it taking hours to get to the hotel a few miles away.
Relying on Amtrak for a long-distance journey seems like a very chancy proposition.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Relying on Amtrak for a long-distance journey seems like a very chancy proposition.
It depends. I've taken the Coast Starlight to L.A. from the Bay Area for Thanksgiving week when I go down on Sunday and have nothing planned until Thursday. So who cares if it's late. It's still a lot more comfortable than economy on a plane.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:32 pm

You might consider staying at the Waterfront Hotel in Jack London Square. Its right at the train stop. You will be able to get food, get right into a room. In the morning you can see some of Oakland if you wish. BART is a short walk, you can Uber, or even take a ferry into San Francisco.

my .02
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
You might consider staying at the Waterfront Hotel in Jack London Square. Its right at the train stop. You will be able to get food, get right into a room. In the morning you can see some of Oakland if you wish. BART is a short walk, you can Uber, or even take a ferry into San Francisco.

my .02
I totally forgot about that place! My wife and I were walking around there right before a Yoshi's performance. We were thinking that we would recommend the hotel to visitors. It looks like a decent place (nothing fancy), and it is right there at the ferry terminal. The ferry ride itself to S.F. is like a tourist attraction, and it takes you right to the ferry building throughout the day, and also to Pier 41 in the am: http://sanfranciscobayferry.com/route/alameda/sffb.

This would be ideal for the OP. Forget the Amtrak bus, taxi/Uber, etc. Walk off the train, go to the hotel, get some rest. Take the ferry into S.F. the next morning.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald

my .02
I totally forgot about that place! My wife and I were walking around there right before a Yoshi's performance. We were thinking that we would recommend the hotel to visitors. It looks like a decent place (nothing fancy), and it is right there at the ferry terminal. The ferry ride itself to S.F. is like a tourist attraction, and it takes you right to the ferry building throughout the day, and also to Pier 41 in the am: http://sanfranciscobayferry.com/route/alameda/sffb.

This would be ideal for the OP. Forget the Amtrak bus, taxi/Uber, etc. Walk off the train, go to the hotel, get some rest. Take the ferry into S.F. the next morning.
It would appear that the OP is using points for his/her stay at the Fairmont:
Originally Posted by 3hearts
I will look into San Jose and Caltrain. We have Fairmont points and looks like there is a Fairmont there too, but the reviews are dismal.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:42 pm

There is a ton of great restaurants right there as well. Take your pick, they are all great.

The Oakland Marriott is also walk-able (and safe) from Amtrak, BUT.... I can see how a family not from Oakland / SF would not want to walk it at night. It is pretty desolate and you have to walk under 880.

The Waterfront is spot on however...
Old Jan 28, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I'd get off in SF (you'll get a nice view from the bus on the bay bridge) and take an uber to the hotel. Cable cars and luggage don't mix well.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Here is my take as a frequent Amtrak traveler with Select Plus status. Book the bedroom but make sure you call Amtrak to do this. A bedroom used only for sitting can be booked with 4 people in it, but you can not do this online. Your going to have to book another roomette for the 5th person or you might even ask the Amtrak agent about the family bedroom and if they allow 5 people in sitting configuration.

Booking the rooms will get you 2 meals per person, lunch and dinner included up to San Francisco. I'm not sure if they are currently running the Pacific Parlor Car on the Coast Starlight, but if they are, then you also get exclusive access to it as a sleeping car passenger.

Book the Amtrak bus option, since the connection is guaranteed, or choose Emeryville since the station building is clean and modern and a better neighborhood than Oakland. Also, there are hotels right across the from the Emeryville station if needed. There is a pedestrian bridge to across into the parking lot of the hotel / shopping area.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:07 pm

Eh Jack London station and Emeryville station are both pretty new and clean. Emeryville not an appreciably better neighborhood. Linden Street Brewing is moving right across the street from JLS Amtrak and will be opening this year - https://oaklandunitedbeerworks.com/. It'll be a nice place to kill time in the future I assume.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:27 pm

Jack London Square is an SF Bay Area gem. I think Yoshi's (jazz) is its cultural center, but there are lots of other great music venues within a few blocks. Restaurants and bars galore. Maybe the best part is the racial, ethnic and socioeconomic mix. It roughly approximates the mix of those who live here.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The Oakland Marriott is also walk-able (and safe) from Amtrak
I live and work in Oakland. I would not make that walk at night nor call it safe. (And I work @11th and Broadway.)
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I live and work in Oakland. I would not make that walk at night nor call it safe. (And I work @11th and Broadway.)
Well another data point as someone who lives and works in Oakland and happily makes that walk all the time day or night. It can be a little desolate but it's not unsafe as long as you have your standard city wits about you like you should in any city late at night. Lots of great bars and restaurants. Two new breweries opening up this year in the neighborhood (Federation & Oakland United Beerworks) in addition to wineries and a new pub at 4th and Webster (
). Plus Blue Bottle, Chop Bar, Beer Rev, all the JLS restaurants, etc etc etc
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would walk it at night. I wouldn't recommend a family of 5 with luggage who is unfamiliar with the area walk it at night.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I would walk it at night. I wouldn't recommend a family of 5 with luggage who is unfamiliar with the area walk it at night.
Agreed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.