Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Public Transit to SFO: 6:40am weekday flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Public Transit to SFO: 6:40am weekday flight

I'm taking an early domestic flight next week, and to avoid expensive Taxi / Uber fees I'm debating two different public transportation options from San Francisco to SFO:

1. 24 Muni bus to SamTrans 397 OWL bus (Cortland & Bayshore stop). Arrives at SFO, arriving at 5:03am.

Pros: Gets me to airport in plenty of time, cheaper.
Cons: longer ride, have never taken before and am not sure how reliable it is or what the sketch factor is.

2. First BART train of the day, arrives at SFO at 5:28am.
Pros: Faster ride, BART is very reliable and safe.
Cons: 70 minutes is cutting it a little close.

I'm not planning to check luggage. Which option would you use / recommend in my shoes?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:42 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I'd bite the bullet and do Uberpool if you can

if Pool will go to SFO it's likely only be about $15 or so - I just can't remember if they do pool to the airport. I know they do it on return.

I don't trust the 24 bus BTW -= a long crosstown route that is often delayed.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:41 am

BART. You'll be fine with 70 mins to check in with no luggage at 5:30am.

Also FYI, lots of rain in the forecast over the next 10 days. Expect possible delays in getting to airport and at the aiport.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:44 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Mach3, welcome to FlyerTalk. I agree with the BART method - much more reliable.

You haven't disclosed your airline or whether you have PreCheck. I often take BART to make, say a 7 a.m. UA domestic flight. Arriving SFO at 5:28, I can be through Pre-Check at the International terminal, walk to whatever UA gate the flight departs from, hitting the restroom on the way and all that usually takes only 15 minutes from BART arrival.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 4, 2016 at 10:39 am Reason: correct typo.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Welcome, Mach3! You can see good advice from others, above. Note well the stormy weather we're expecting next week. SFO is likely to face significant delays.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
Welcome, Mach3! You can see good advice from others, above. Note well the stormy weather we're expecting next week. SFO is likely to face significant delays.
Hopefully your plane will be one that spent the night @ SFO (likely so for a 640a departure). If so you are much more likely to depart on time.

Note that BART has been suffering some delays during heavier storms, but at first train out, if there are any, they should be minimal.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Mach3, welcome to FlyerTalk. I agree with the BART method - much more reliable.

You haven't disclosed your airline or whether you have PreCheck. I often take BART to make, say a 7 a.m. UA domestic flight. Arriving SFO at 5:28, I can be through Pre-Check at the International terminal, walk to whatever UA gate the flight departs from, hitting the restroom on the way and all that usually takes only 15 minutes from BART arrival.
If you have PreCheck, getting through security can be very very fast at SFO. I've been through security as soon as 3 minutes after getting off the AirTrain.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and welcome to the forum. My flight is on United, and I have precheck. It sounds like from what you're all saying that BART is the way to go, and I suspect it's less likely to have delays in heavy rain than the busses. I'll report back on how it goes after my flight.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Mach3
Thanks for the replies and welcome to the forum. My flight is on United, and I have precheck. It sounds like from what you're all saying that BART is the way to go, and I suspect it's less likely to have delays in heavy rain than the busses. I'll report back on how it goes after my flight.
Good choice. No guarantees with any mode of transportation, but BART is your most reliable ride here. I use BART from Berkeley when my trip to SFO is during commute hours.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Update: the BART ride went smoothly and I made my flight, although it was a little close for comfort since the flight ended up boarding early and leaving 10 minutes early. (They hustled us out quickly before the bad weather got worse.) In the future I'll stick to arriving at the airport 90 minutes before my flight, even if I have to pay a little more for an UberX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.