Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Official SFO terminal map
Check the official SFO airlines listing to see which concourse your airline generally arrives/departs from.

Gate numbers at SFO now include both the concourse letter and the gate number, starting over at 1 for each concourse. Prior to Oct 16, 2019 gates were simply numbered 1-102 starting from 1 in the A concourse through 102 in the G concourse.

SFO has 2 main airside zones:

1. International Terminal A, Gates A1-A15 and Terminal 1 (Harvey Milk), Concourse B, Gates B1-B27

[Note that there is a short airside corridor between the A and B Concourses. You can enter security from A and go to B gates, and vice versa. The AirTrain station at Terminal 1-B is temporarily closed as of 9-22-21.]

Airside Lounges in International-A:
  • Cathay Pacific (near A1) - TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Japan Airlines Sakura (near A1)
  • Emirates (between A2-6) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Air France/KLM (near A1) - also accessible to Priority Pass holders departing International Terminal A (access may be restricted at certain hours)
  • British Airways (between A5-9) (FT Thread) - includes a First Class section inside
  • China Airlines (near A1) (recent TR w/photo link)
  • Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Lounge (near A1) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Virgin Atlantic Club House (near A1) - also accesible to AMEX Platinum/Centurion cardholders
Airside Lounges in Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk):
  • American Airlines Admirals Club (near B13)
[CONSTRUCTION UPDATE: Both the airside and landside corridors between International-A and Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk) are now open. It's about a five-minute walk between terminals.] Closure info from flysfo.com

2. Terminal 2, Concourses C and D, Terminal 3, Concourses E and F and International Terminal G, Gates C2-C11, D1-D18, E1-E13, F1-F22, and G1-G14
(as of November 1, 2019 gate C1 is planned for some point in the future)

[Note that there are short airside corridors between the C and D Concourses, the D and E Concourses, and the F and G Concourses. You can enter security from C, D, E, F, or G Concourses and go to gates in any of this group of Concourses.]

Airside Lounges:
Landside SkyTerrace open Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon 10a-6p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

Priority Pass eligible restaurants. [Note that PP card issued via American Express Platinum does not include "restaurant lounges"]: There is an outdoor viewing deck (post-security) in terminal G open daily 7a-11:30p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

It's possible to walk between gates in a single zone, but going from one zone to another requires clearing security. Several FTers have reported resistance from BP checkers and TSA agents when you try to enter a concourse that is not connected airside to your departure gate. They are mistaken; you can use a same day boarding pass departing SFO at any of the security checkpoints. Press the issue (politely), and you'll get in.

The landside connector between B and C is currently closed due to construction. To go between these two terminals you either need to go upstairs and take the AirTrain, or go down into the parking garage where you can walk freely (on well-marked pedestrian crosswalks) between terminals as well (pictures for walking in the garage can be found in post 512)

If you're arriving from an international destination, unless it's one of the pre-clearance airports, you'll have to clear Customs and Immigration at SFO and then need a departing boarding pass to clear security. SFO has the typical baggage re-check counters right after Customs for connecting passengers. They are usually open, but if closed, you'll need to lug your luggage to the regular domestic check-in counter of your connecting airline.

There's an AirTrain that runs between terminals (including the two parking garages connected to either side of the International Terminal) and the rental car center. AirTrain now has a stop at the long term parking lot. There is one on-airport hotel, a Grand Hyatt, accessible via the AirTrain. Personally, if forum regulars rob_flies_ua and dhuey need to connect between secure zones with only carry-ons, they just walk between terminals instead of waiting for the train. Returnoftheyeti and makfan will walk from BART to all terminals as well.

BART is the local regional commuter rail. The BART station is located on the north side of the airport, adjacent to International Terminal G. You can exit the paid area in two locations. One is by going up an escalator in the middle of the station and then connecting to the air train. You can also walk to the end of the station. Upon exiting you will be in the International terminal, near the chapel. A one-way ticket from SFO to downtown is $9.65.

For things to do on your layover in SFO, check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...d-threads.html
Outside of the secure zone, but adjacent to International Terminal G is the SFO Museum

Renovation of Boarding Area C will include a connector to T1-B and is expected to be completed by 2024, following which the entire airport will be connected airside (however going from A to G would require passing through B, C, D, E and F).

AirTrain Map:

As the map shows, Red Line runs clockwise; Blue Line runs counterclockwise. The mistake to avoid is getting on the Blue Line and heading off to the rental car center and long term parking lot when you were only trying to go from one terminal to another (e.g., don't take Blue when you want to go from International-G to Terminal 1). CAUTION: recently when arriving in the late evening, the red line has been closed, and only the blue line is operating but in the opposite direction from the arrows show. Keep an eye out for "sandwich board" signs on the platform, and pay attention to the overhead video screens by the boarding doors for accurate real-time directional info.
Print Wikipost

Connecting in SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
US citizens are also dumped landside. The only major difference in treatment is the line at immigration may be longer for visitors. Just as it is for us when we travel to most other countries. Some of the longest immigration lines I've ever seen have been for visitors to Canada, Japan, Mexico, or the UK.
Don't forget Beijing and Lagos, both of which can stretch 1+ hours

Originally Posted by Kumar2013
I don't mean to sound gloomy but a 20 minute walk is not to be taken lightly - lots of older people would find this a challenge and might prefer shuffling slowly through security over walking that far. Even for others, it's a challenge with a 15 lb backpack - as an example I had to move twice between Terminals B and C at LAX and the walk was tiresome.
Cry me a river. Have you ever walked from a UA gate in the Queen's terminal (LHR 2) to immigration, then connected to a BA flight in T5 or worse yet to the HEX train? What about landing at a bus gate at FRA and then walking miles to a train hop, to security, and then another walk to gates? Or from IAH B/C gates to the E terminal gates? And don't get me started on my recent journey that seemed to traverse most of IST from the end of one pier, across the main concourse to the lounge and then back to another pier.

All of these were 20 minutes or more, and probably 5-10x longer than anything I have even encountered at SFO. Our home airport is well designed, easy to navigate and quite compact compared to other world class airports. I will stack it up against almost anywhere.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Boraxo

Cry me a river. Have you ever walked from a UA gate in the Queen's terminal (LHR 2) to immigration, then connected to a BA flight in T5 or worse yet to the HEX train? What about landing at a bus gate at FRA and then walking miles to a train hop, to security, and then another walk to gates? Or from IAH B/C gates to the E terminal gates? And don't get me started on my recent journey that seemed to traverse most of IST from the end of one pier, across the main concourse to the lounge and then back to another pier.

All of these were 20 minutes or more, and probably 5-10x longer than anything I have even encountered at SFO. Our home airport is well designed, easy to navigate and quite compact compared to other world class airports. I will stack it up against almost anywhere.
I can walk around the SFO landside loop passing by all piers (well, except now with the gap) in about the same time it takes to get out to the last JFK T4 DL gate. SFO, IM(nsh)O is about the most efficient compact major city airport anywhere in the world. And you can get from "here" to "there" even when the train breaks down. You also have a selection of available security checkpoints if one doesn't look so great. Go try that at ATL. Yes, all airside, with a train that usually works, and a checkpoint in need of an enema at certain times of the day.
Boraxo and sonomawine like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: SA, JAL, EK

I don't know what point you're driving at.

Badly designed airports are not worth emulating.

The original premise being discussed is whether mandatory immigration at US airports makes things convenient and improves airport design.

You proposed a theory that it made for easy connections between domestic / international flight combinations (presumably domestic to international only and not vice versa) on account (principally) of being able to quickly get (walk?) to the connecting departure gate and (2) not having to clear security during the connection.

My response: (1) is valid only when the connecting flight departs from a sufficiently nearby gate - there is no guarantee it will and the benefits of not having to clear security and transfer landside by shuttle / light rail over walking 20 minute+ distances are debatable at best. In my view there's no one-size-fits-all for these kind of situations unless there's an efficient and convenient airtrain that is airside - a possibility that looks unlikely for the next 10 perhaps 20 years at least at most US airports,

Keep in mind that your theory does not apply to international - international transfers at all (which you have acknowledged). We are then required to evaluate whether the policy of forcing everyone to clear immigration on such connections is worth the convenience you proposed above.

I suspect it makes airport design convenient for architects and planners and perhaps security but doesn't really add much benefit to the domestic -- > international connecting passengers you mention - for reasons I have already articulated above.

As for dissing the long walks at the airports you mention - as I mentioned earlier, it's bad design indeed but for the category of intl-intl transfers it's certainly easier and massively more convenient than having to get a visa for the transit.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kumar2013
I don't know what point you're driving at.

The original premise being discussed is whether mandatory immigration at US airports makes things convenient and improves airport design.

Keep in mind that your theory does not apply to international - international transfers at all (which you have acknowledged). We are then required to evaluate whether the policy of forcing everyone to clear immigration on such connections is worth the convenience you proposed above.
Note that the USA has decided that as a matter of policy, for better or worse, that everyone transiting the USA must enter the USA, and approved for entry. "We" used to have a TWOV (transit without visa) program, terminated 20-some years ago. It would be foolish for any US airport to design anything for anything resembling what much of the rest of the world does, because it would require formal exit procedures, and everyone entering and exiting those areas to be processed. What the USA could easily do is have bags transferred, which I believe that MIA and another airport or two might do. Having segregated international departures and transit facilities would run in the billions and reduce airport efficiencies.

All that said, SFO remains one of the most efficient airports in the USA (excluding the runway situation), not to mention most of the concourses and F&B choices are a lot more pleasant than what might experience in much of the USA, let alone the world. And yes, there is always the Immaculate Exception, but give me an inter-terminal connection here over ORD to T5, LHR anywhere, any JFK inter-terminal, or a myriad of other airports.
Boraxo and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:43 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I'm enjoying this discussion - but.....

We're moving very far afield from tips or advice or actual situations in connecting in SFO. SO before this goes to an OMNI place....maybe take the discussion somewhere else.
Thanks.

squeakr
MOD SFO
MDtR-Chicago likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:01 am

I have a connecting flight in late Sep 2022. Flying into SFO on Singapore Airlines. Then have to connect to Terminal 2 for Alaska Airlines. Layover is 5 hours, so I assume I will have plenty of time.

Any recommendations on what to do in Terminal 2?
I would need to get some brunch before my next leg.

Cheers.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming you don’t have AS or Amex lounge access I would use a PP card to get a free meal at one of the restaurants in T2 or T3. We have eaten at almost all of the T2 ones and the food is good.

there are some good brunch restaurants in Burlingame but I can’t recommend hauling luggage to try them.
iluvcruising2 and freeagent like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Assuming you don’t have AS or Amex lounge access I would use a PP card to get a free meal at one of the restaurants in T2 or T3. We have eaten at almost all of the T2 ones and the food is good.
If you do not have PP access and you're looking for a substantial breakfast, the Andale Mexican restaurant in T2 has hot breakfast burritos in the morning...
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:46 pm

Thanks for the tips. I have PP access. I think there is only 1 restaurant that accepts PP - Lark Creek Grill.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
Thanks for the tips. I have PP access. I think there is only 1 restaurant that accepts PP - Lark Creek Grill.
There's only 1 PP restaurant in the concourse that Alaska currently flies out of, but there are 3 others you can access without needing to re-clear security -- see the wiki at the top of this thread, or the PP website/app.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would rank as follows in terms of quality (1) Lark (2) Giants Clubhouse (3) Yankee Pier

That said I wouldn't go out of my way to walk between terminals for any of them. If you are in the Alaska terminal just enjoy Lark Creek and call it a day.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:56 pm

Programs: none
my flight will arrive at Terminal 3 either E or F gates and I have a connecting flight out of the INTL terminal, can anyone tell me how long it will take between the two terminals and if i have to go through security?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by den221
my flight will arrive at Terminal 3 either E or F gates and I have a connecting flight out of the INTL terminal, can anyone tell me how long it will take between the two terminals and if i have to go through security?
If you're leaving from the G pier, it is a relatively short airside walk (if you're checked through and / or don't need a landside agent). If you're leaving from the A pier, you'll need to clear security. It will be faster to walk than take the (landside) Air Train to A - maybe 10 minutes from E/F through the main hall of the International terminal and to A security.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:18 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I haven't originated out of C/D in a couple months, so not sure how new this is, but the tensabarrier lines for the D checkpoint now extend much further out into the terminal, and the CLEAR lane is now a dedicated CLEAR+PreCheck lane (I assume there is a CLEAR-without-Pre lane elsewhere)

Once airside, I happened to be walking next to a TSA employee on my way over to the C terminal and asked about potential re-opening of the C checkpoint and they said "not anytime soon"
Old Aug 12, 2022, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Zorak
Once airside, I happened to be walking next to a TSA employee on my way over to the C terminal and asked about potential re-opening of the C checkpoint and they said "not anytime soon"
The T1 north ticketing lobby is currently a hole in the ground. SFO website says "late 2024."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.