Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Official SFO terminal map
Check the official SFO airlines listing to see which concourse your airline generally arrives/departs from.

Gate numbers at SFO now include both the concourse letter and the gate number, starting over at 1 for each concourse. Prior to Oct 16, 2019 gates were simply numbered 1-102 starting from 1 in the A concourse through 102 in the G concourse.

SFO has 2 main airside zones:

1. International Terminal A, Gates A1-A15 and Terminal 1 (Harvey Milk), Concourse B, Gates B1-B27

[Note that there is a short airside corridor between the A and B Concourses. You can enter security from A and go to B gates, and vice versa. The AirTrain station at Terminal 1-B is temporarily closed as of 9-22-21.]

Airside Lounges in International-A:
  • Cathay Pacific (near A1) - TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Japan Airlines Sakura (near A1)
  • Emirates (between A2-6) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Air France/KLM (near A1) - also accessible to Priority Pass holders departing International Terminal A (access may be restricted at certain hours)
  • British Airways (between A5-9) (FT Thread) - includes a First Class section inside
  • China Airlines (near A1) (recent TR w/photo link)
  • Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Lounge (near A1) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Virgin Atlantic Club House (near A1) - also accesible to AMEX Platinum/Centurion cardholders
Airside Lounges in Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk):
  • American Airlines Admirals Club (near B13)
[CONSTRUCTION UPDATE: Both the airside and landside corridors between International-A and Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk) are now open. It's about a five-minute walk between terminals.] Closure info from flysfo.com

2. Terminal 2, Concourses C and D, Terminal 3, Concourses E and F and International Terminal G, Gates C2-C11, D1-D18, E1-E13, F1-F22, and G1-G14
(as of November 1, 2019 gate C1 is planned for some point in the future)

[Note that there are short airside corridors between the C and D Concourses, the D and E Concourses, and the F and G Concourses. You can enter security from C, D, E, F, or G Concourses and go to gates in any of this group of Concourses.]

Airside Lounges:
Landside SkyTerrace open Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon 10a-6p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

Priority Pass eligible restaurants. [Note that PP card issued via American Express Platinum does not include "restaurant lounges"]: There is an outdoor viewing deck (post-security) in terminal G open daily 7a-11:30p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

It's possible to walk between gates in a single zone, but going from one zone to another requires clearing security. Several FTers have reported resistance from BP checkers and TSA agents when you try to enter a concourse that is not connected airside to your departure gate. They are mistaken; you can use a same day boarding pass departing SFO at any of the security checkpoints. Press the issue (politely), and you'll get in.

The landside connector between B and C is currently closed due to construction. To go between these two terminals you either need to go upstairs and take the AirTrain, or go down into the parking garage where you can walk freely (on well-marked pedestrian crosswalks) between terminals as well (pictures for walking in the garage can be found in post 512)

If you're arriving from an international destination, unless it's one of the pre-clearance airports, you'll have to clear Customs and Immigration at SFO and then need a departing boarding pass to clear security. SFO has the typical baggage re-check counters right after Customs for connecting passengers. They are usually open, but if closed, you'll need to lug your luggage to the regular domestic check-in counter of your connecting airline.

There's an AirTrain that runs between terminals (including the two parking garages connected to either side of the International Terminal) and the rental car center. AirTrain now has a stop at the long term parking lot. There is one on-airport hotel, a Grand Hyatt, accessible via the AirTrain. Personally, if forum regulars rob_flies_ua and dhuey need to connect between secure zones with only carry-ons, they just walk between terminals instead of waiting for the train. Returnoftheyeti and makfan will walk from BART to all terminals as well.

BART is the local regional commuter rail. The BART station is located on the north side of the airport, adjacent to International Terminal G. You can exit the paid area in two locations. One is by going up an escalator in the middle of the station and then connecting to the air train. You can also walk to the end of the station. Upon exiting you will be in the International terminal, near the chapel. A one-way ticket from SFO to downtown is $9.65.

For things to do on your layover in SFO, check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...d-threads.html
Outside of the secure zone, but adjacent to International Terminal G is the SFO Museum

Renovation of Boarding Area C will include a connector to T1-B and is expected to be completed by 2024, following which the entire airport will be connected airside (however going from A to G would require passing through B, C, D, E and F).

AirTrain Map:

As the map shows, Red Line runs clockwise; Blue Line runs counterclockwise. The mistake to avoid is getting on the Blue Line and heading off to the rental car center and long term parking lot when you were only trying to go from one terminal to another (e.g., don't take Blue when you want to go from International-G to Terminal 1). CAUTION: recently when arriving in the late evening, the red line has been closed, and only the blue line is operating but in the opposite direction from the arrows show. Keep an eye out for "sandwich board" signs on the platform, and pay attention to the overhead video screens by the boarding doors for accurate real-time directional info.
Print Wikipost

Connecting in SFO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Interesting pic. Doesn't look like finished flooring (unless they've installed deep shag carpeting).
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS — views are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer
The landside corridor between T2 and T3 has reopened. No more having to duck out of the building and back in.

dhuey, KathyWdrf, Boraxo and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 4:02 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by skyblue
The landside corridor between T2 and T3 has reopened. No more having to duck out of the building and back in.
That’s good to see, but as of yesterday the airside corridor has yet to open. Looks like it will open very soon, though.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
That’s good to see, but as of yesterday the airside corridor has yet to open. Looks like it will open very soon, though.
Still not open as of today, but they've been making visible progress on the signage that appears just outside the construction barricades of the airside connector.

From a few days ago:

From today (with new signage pointing towards EFG, and also towards the UA baggage claim which I'm sure is in preparation for UA using D gates):
MDtR-Chicago and Zorak like this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jhurwitz
Still not open as of today, but they've been making visible progress on the signage that appears just outside the construction barricades of the airside connector.

From a few days ago:

From today (with new signage pointing towards EFG, and also towards the UA baggage claim which I'm sure is in preparation for UA using D gates):
Seriously, the cooties are going to spread from G/F/E to D? I think I've just heard of a legit human use for equine-strength Invermectin
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Seriously, the cooties are going to spread from G/F/E to D? I think I've just heard of a legit human use for equine-strength Invermectin
Can't trust those cooties!

David
Old Nov 14, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
What seems to be spreading in the opposite direction is that typeface on the signage. I first recall seeing it in the new T1 when it opened. I've seen it on some of the newer signs in T2, and now it makes an appearance in T3.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:32 pm

D-E airside corridor still not open last night (11/14/21). I'll venture a guess that it opens sometime this week.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Saw on Twitter this morning the new airside connector between T3 and T2 is now open.

Eastbay1K, dhuey, skyblue and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent. So now the airport is down to two airside sections. A-B and C-D-E-F-G. Only one gap to go!
Old Nov 19, 2021, 2:57 pm

Yay! I updated the Wiki with the opening of the D-E airside corridor. There are also two new Priority Pass restaurants.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any reports on the reopening of the C security checkpoint?
Old Nov 19, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Any reports on the reopening of the C security checkpoint?
Do we have any indication that's going to reopen prior to rebuild of the T1 North Ticketing Lobby?
Old Dec 10, 2021, 5:03 pm

Hey guys, quick question.

Been a while since I've been on WN, and wanted to double check on a few things, given all of this recent construction. So, can I still take the Air Tran from T3 - T1 (WN)? Is the stop still there, or would have I to resort to going through the parking lot? Ah, while I've yet to try it, but I could enter security at Int A, then walk all the way to WN's T1?

Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2021, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Hey guys, quick question.

Been a while since I've been on WN, and wanted to double check on a few things, given all of this recent construction. So, can I still take the Air Tran from T3 - T1 (WN)? Is the stop still there, or would have I to resort to going through the parking lot? Ah, while I've yet to try it, but I could enter security at Int A, then walk all the way to WN's T1?

Thanks!
Last I checked the T1 AirTrain stop is closed for construction. You need to get off at the International-A stop and walk over from there. You can enter security at International-A if you want and then take the airside corridor to T1.
Visconti likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.