Please Critique My SFO Intinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Critique My SFO Intinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Playboy
I'm into Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. Which vineyards would you folks recommend in Sonoma? We may go there on Friday, removing Berkley off the list.
There are literally dozens of options. If you could describe the brands, style or taste characteristics of the wines you like we might be able to offer suggestions that best match your preferences. e.g. in chards, how much oak do you like-some, a lot, stainless only? buttery and smooth, or bright and crisp? low acidity or enough acidity to stand up to strong flavored foods? etc.

Regardless, you'll have fun exploring, and the driving in the area is easy.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I'm into Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. Which vineyards would you folks recommend in Sonoma? We may go there on Friday, removing Berkley off the list.
Some of the best Chardonnay and Pinot Noir is made right in Berkeley. They are not of a "typical" or "traditional" California style. The fruit comes from areas north and east. https://donkeyandgoat.com/
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
We love to hike. That's the reason why I chose julia pfeiffer burns state park. I looked at Point Lobos & didn't see any trails that I liked. Andrew Molera has some trails that I liked.
I wouldn't choose Julia Pfeiffer Burns for hiking. I would absolutely choose it for the waterfall, but it's only a 1/2 mile stroll. The other trails are not so awesome.

Perhaps you meant Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park? There's more hiking there. (Yes, there are two parks with very similar names.)

When I really want to stretch my legs in Big Sur my go-to hike is at Garrapata State Park. I do a loop of the ridge and the canyon on the inland side of the highway. Cone Peak in the Ventana Wilderness is also a great hike, though it takes a lot more driving to get to the trailhead.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I wouldn't choose Julia Pfeiffer Burns for hiking. I would absolutely choose it for the waterfall, but it's only a 1/2 mile stroll. The other trails are not so awesome.

Perhaps you meant Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park? There's more hiking there. (Yes, there are two parks with very similar names.)

When I really want to stretch my legs in Big Sur my go-to hike is at Garrapata State Park. I do a loop of the ridge and the canyon on the inland side of the highway. Cone Peak in the Ventana Wilderness is also a great hike, though it takes a lot more driving to get to the trailhead.
Garrapta looks fun. However, the ridge and Soberanes trails appear to be of a high difficulty. My hiking partner isn't exactly a cardio beast.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Has anyone hiked Ewoldsen Trail & Mt Tam?

My original intent was/is to drive down to Big Sur and hike Ewoldsen Trail. However, I've also recently been reading about Mt. Tamalpais State Park and the Dipsea and Steep Ravine trails of Mt Tam. Has anyone done the hike at Ewoldsen and Mt Tam? What is your opinion of the trails? Specifically, the level of physical fitness one would need to complete the loops and the scenic beauty of each.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:31 pm

My original intent was/is to drive down to Big Sur and hike Ewoldsen Trail. However, I've also recently been reading about Mt. Tamalpais State Park and the Dipsea and Steep Ravine trails of Mt Tam. Has anyone done the hike at Ewoldsen and Mt Tam? What is your opinion of the trails? Specifically, the level of physical fitness one would need to complete the loops and the scenic beauty of each.
I've not done the Ewoldsen trail, so I can't compare. But having done a Steep Ravine/Mt. Davis loop, I can definitely recommend that. I think it highlights some of the best of Mt. Tam and truly is a beautiful hike. It's also a good opportunity to spend a little time at Stinson. It's strenuous, but well worth it.

One note, it's a pretty popular trail, so parking near the trail head can be tough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.