Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Skycaps (Int'l arrivals) - cost/avail

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Anyone have any idea of cost or availability? Have several trolleys and will be needing help with upon arrival from LHR to SFO. Checked the SFO website but there's no info on cost or how to pre-book in the Int'l baggage claim. The only info I've found is mostly for departures. Flying in a few hours so no way to call before arrival.

I fly in/out of SFO on Int'l longhauls every other month but I don't think I've ever seen a skycap in arrivals. When you go to their desk do they send someone with you then and there? I wouldn't want the guy standing around for an hour - I've got global entry and am flying codeshare BA F so that means I'll be first at the carousel but last to leave. (The "priority" tags seem to consistently mean "last priority" because they're always last off but I digress.) TIA.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
If you're flying nonstop LHR-SFO on BA metal (sounds like it), then this should be on the BA or SFO forums.

If you're connecting somewhere and arriving on AA metal, then my experience has been that priority bags at SFO on AA consistently do come out first.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this question isn't related at all to American Airlines or its frequent flyer programmes, I'll move it to the San Francisco forum.

~Microwave
AAdvantage Forum Co-moderator
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:51 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I've only seen prebooked skycaps at baggage claim

However the IFly site states

At the International Terminal departing passengers should approach the curbsie attendant - or call 9.821.9187 from any phone at the main entry doors. Arriving passengers find porters & baggage carts in the International Arrivals Hall - or call 650.821.9187.

http://www.ifly.com/san-francisco-in...e-and-security
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for moving to SFO forum. This is one shady operation. Called all their numbers and they refused to disclose price. Found guys on the arrivals hall and asked three times and they refused to let me know how much it costs. Forget this! How are they allowed to operate like this? Can't even reserve them ahead of time - probably so they can size you up and squeeze every dollar.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
To be fair, I don't think there is a set price and they work on tips. They wear yellow shirts and are usually arranging the luggage as they come out the conveyer belt. So there is no dedicated porters available.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:34 am

Typically this service is paid for with tips in the US. Did they overtly refuse to disclose or were they somewhat awkward about it? I'd expect them to be awkward because it is considered impolite to ask for tips.

If you have three trolleys full of luggage and need three porters, I'd probably tip each of them $20-30. (So, $60-90 total.). It would depend on how far they had to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.