Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SFO int'l-int'l connection - US customs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:50 am
Original Poster

I'm a US citizen traveling from KIX to LHR via SFO (all on the same United ticket) in a couple weeks, and the layover in SFO is only an hour and a half; will I need to go through US customs at SFO even though I'm staying in the international terminal? All I've been able to find so far is information about international to domestic connections. The customs office looks like it's downstairs but both international concourses are connected to the main hall upstairs.... I'm just not sure what to expect in terms of where I'll need to go or how rushed I'll be. Anyone have any insight?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Here's a fairly recent thread that discusses your issue: airside international transfers in the U.S.

In short, you will have to clear customs and immigration. Without Global Entry, 1.5 hours is cutting it close; it will be fine if there isn't much of a line, but if your flight is late or arrives just after another one, it doesn't leave much time.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:39 am
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Clearing customs

Originally Posted by kemurphy
I'm a US citizen traveling from KIX to LHR via SFO (all on the same United ticket) in a couple weeks, and the layover in SFO is only an hour and a half; will I need to go through US customs at SFO even though I'm staying in the international terminal? All I've been able to find so far is information about international to domestic connections. The customs office looks like it's downstairs but both international concourses are connected to the main hall upstairs.... I'm just not sure what to expect in terms of where I'll need to go or how rushed I'll be. Anyone have any insight?
If you're going on a short trip, your odds are better if you pack everything as carry-on. I keep trying to go to the arrivals lounge after my SYD-SFO flights and they always seem to close just before I get there. I am signed up for Global Entry (which saves a lot of time going through immigration) but it still takes forever for your bags to come out.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bear in mind that UA requires you at the departure gate no later than T-30 and that in addition to entry formalities, you will need to clear a security checkpoint. This gives you 60 minutes from the brakes locking on the inbound to being at the departure gate where boarding will already be in process.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Often1
... This gives you 60 minutes from the brakes locking on the inbound to being at the departure gate where boarding will already be in process.
Which, considering the "efficiency" of SFO C&I, screening and poor terminal layout, means you are running very tight indeed.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - Correct. Because it's all on one ticket, UA will take care of OP if he misconnects. But, that is dependent on availability and it's highly unlikely that OP will get anything approaching a decent seat on the SFO-LHR segment.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
I did a similar flight two years ago, NRT-SFO-LHR on UA with a 1:40 min connect. Flight was on time and Immigration/customs a little busy but US lines were moving.

Followed the signs for connections, left side exit, and another left outside the door and directed to the drop off bag area. Since the connecting London flight was in the same Terminal, i just took the escalator upstairs to departures and went through security in about 15 minutes. Short walk to the Gate where they were boarding. Whole process from debarking to embarking, about 1:10 minutes.

On a side note, while i was waiting in line for security, i did see a UA agent calling out a flight. A few people in line said they were on the flight and the agent asked TSA if they could move up the line. They did and I assume made their flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.