SJ Merc: Virgin America begins San Jose to L.A. flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/...jose-l-flights

In a coup for local airline boosters and passengers, upstart carrier Virgin America will announce Monday that it will offer daily service to Los Angeles from Mineta San Jose International Airport, starting May 1.

The fast-growing domestic carrier, which has earned a reputation for low fares and innovative amenities such as in-flight Wi-Fi service, plans to offer four daily non-stop flights to Los Angeles while hoping "to get a better feel for the San Jose market," CEO David Cush said in an interview.

Representatives of the city and Silicon Valley's tech industry, who have campaigned to bring more carriers to the underutilized airport, are hoping the new flights are a first step that will lead to the airline offering service to additional cities. But one industry analyst questioned the wisdom of the airline's move, saying there is already fierce competition on the San Jose to Los Angeles route.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Delta's supposed to be starting June 10th as well (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...oute-news.html) which'll make it 6 carriers on SJC-LAX.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
And here I wasn't aware DL had dropped the route!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Really would have liked VX to add a route that wasn't already available from multiple other carriers, but I guess it makes sense to expand their coverage this way.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
And here I wasn't aware DL had dropped the route!
DL didn't actually fly it, they had a code share with AA so it was on AA metal. They still have AS codeshare flights. They dropped the AA ones last summer I think, maybe earlier.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Hopefully this is a sign that SJC is picking up and that other airlines like UA take a serious look. I'm thinking of moving to one of the SJC players now...
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

I actually remember there being a couple Delta Connection flights per day on a CRJ - but that was back in the old terminal and perhaps a few years ago.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by jeebus
Really would have liked VX to add a route that wasn't already available from multiple other carriers, but I guess it makes sense to expand their coverage this way.
VX said they were using these flights to "get a feel for the SJC market." So hopefully this means they will add other destinations. East coast nonstops - IAD, PHL, JFK, BOS?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by JerryFF
VX said they were using these flights to "get a feel for the SJC market." So hopefully this means they will add other destinations. East coast nonstops - IAD, PHL, JFK, BOS?
Doubtful. VX has focus cities at SFO and LAX, and all their flights start or end at one of those two airports, with a couple of minor exceptions at JFK.

I believe this is now the most competitive domestic route in the country. No other domestic route has 6-way competition as far as I know. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before 1-2 carriers quit the route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.