Wiki Posts
Search

Muni Passes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Muni Passes

Hi,

I will be staying in San Fran area for some time in August and I am essentially wanting to know what is the best way to get around town (general tourist stuff) and to/from Alameda where I will be staying with relatives.

I understand that the BART train system has a station closeish to where I am staying but it is a considerable trek (I have done basic research on these) and as I expect to be traveling in and out of San Fran for multiple days I wanted to know if the Muni Pass A Incl BART as it says includes unlimited travel on BART and Muni but my question is, does this cover areas outside of San Fran city.

On a side note, what is the best method in terms of ease of travel and cost to travel to Anaheim also?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:28 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
UrbanGrafix, welcome to FlyerTalk. The MUNI A pass includes use of BART only within San Francisco; that is only between Embarcadero and Balboa Park BART Stations. No other BART service is allowed with this pass. Since MUNI monthly passes are on a calendar, rather than a rolling-30-day month basis, you might want to look into 1, 3, or 7-day passports to get just around S.F.

BART offers nearly no attractive discount plans unless one is a youth, senior or disabled person.

As far as travel to Anaheim, feel free to ask that Q. in the Travel->California forum. Very quickly, if one would be there for a short time (a few days) and wouldn't need extensive use of their car, several airlines fly non-stop from SFO or OAK to Orange Co. airport (SNA) for reasonable fares during fare sale promotions. Summer fares will likely be higher.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Feb 23, 2010 at 1:37 pm Reason: in view of the elimination of weekly Muni passes.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
It may just be cheaper just to pay out of pocket depending on your travel pattern. Muni transfers are good for about 2 hours. The visitor Muni pass might be more cost effective depending on how long you stay.

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

Check 511.org and see the fastest/cheapest ways from your relative's place and you should be able to figure which transit pass to buy or if just paying cash is better.

There's the BART Plus ticket - it covers half a month with Bart and muni pass in one.

http://www.bart.gov/tickets/plus.aspx

It used to cover AC Transit - which is the transit system for Oakland/Alameda, but looks like that got dropped. I used to use this when I lived in Oakland and worked near the presido.

It's expensive if you're only going to the city 6 times in the 2 week period it covers for example as I think it's $40+. It's mainly used by people who live in one county and work in SF, not really a tourist pass unless you're traveling extensively.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the information, this will definitely help me sort out my travel within San Fran.

I am planning to be traveling into San Fran approx 10+ times during my stay and I expect to be traveling decent distances within San Fran some of these days.

I did look at the Muni pass, and tbh I have no idea what I will do but I will check back here closer to my travels after checking in with my host lol.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:38 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
One nice thing about the Muni passes and passports is that they are valid on the cable cars, which otherwise would cost $5 per one-way ride. So if you plan on riding the cable cars, you can often get a decent value out of the passes and passports.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:33 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Although any Muni fast pass may now be used on cable cars, SF MTA, operator of Muni, is looking at more ways to eke out more fare revenue from riders. One of the proposals under consideration, is requiring purchase of the premium fast pass if one wants to use it on cable cars or express buses. SFMTA will be meeting 2/26 on fare increase and service cut proposals.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:40 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
there is no longer a "regular" weekly pass on MUNI

The passport is the only weekly pass available - in 1, 3 or 7 day versions and is a good deal if you are planning to ride a cable car.
http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

During the day thru the commute hours, there are buses that cross the bay form Alameda

use 511.org to plan trips and see fastest, least walking etc.,
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:34 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
And of course, no Muni thread is complete without a word of warning:

Muni su**s.

OP, you have been forewarned. Nonetheless, it's what we got, so don't let that stop you from riding. Just try to avoid rush hour. (This morning's commute was a doozy.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.