Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Re-using Restaurant.com certificates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2009, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just bought some more to get some qualifying partners, and while I was in there, I saw that there is a list of my older certificates. And it shows the status.

Several I have used; several, of course, I haven't. Such is life.

But the ones I think I "used" all show "not used" in the righthand column. This seems like it must just be a mistake since not a single one shows "used." But I'm tempted to print them out and go again. Maybe I had two and I only used one? Certainly possible, but I'd hate to get caught double-dipping here.

Has anyone tried this? Do they just tell you "no, it's been used" and you just pay in full?
Old May 16, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Fraud fraud fraud fraud fraud. Even if somehow the idea was tempting to me, the certs are nearly free with some of the frequent discounts, and I'd really not want to screw the restaurant participating in the program, who is going to suffer from accidentally taking a cert with the same number twice. Do you also return a rotisserie chicken carcass to Costco after you've eaten almost all of it, asking for a refund because "I didn't like it?" (People actually do this.)
Old May 16, 2009, 10:26 am

Used status

Used status is self managed. Restaurant.com provides a tool for you to track your certificate usage, but the status will never be updated by restaurant.com.
Old May 16, 2009, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Fraud, if I've used it. Yes.

But what if I haven't but it's not in my stack?

But the answer of it being self-managed is the key, I guess. If I lose it, it's gone.
Old May 16, 2009, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Fraud fraud fraud fraud fraud. Even if somehow the idea was tempting to me, the certs are nearly free with some of the frequent discounts, and I'd really not want to screw the restaurant participating in the program, who is going to suffer from accidentally taking a cert with the same number twice. Do you also return a rotisserie chicken carcass to Costco after you've eaten almost all of it, asking for a refund because "I didn't like it?" (People actually do this.)
This certainly should get nominated for an "overreaction of the year" award.

To the OP, maybe email restaurant.com with a list of the ones you're not sure about?
Old May 16, 2009, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I like the idea of emailing them.

In particular, there was one that they unilaterally canceled due to a problem with the restaurant, and I don't think I ever got credit for it.
Old May 16, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat (lifetime)
OP..check your PM. I sent you the name of a customer service rep with Restaurant.com.
Old May 21, 2009, 12:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
In most states, they state a 1 yr expiration except where prohibited. In CA, there is no expiration on these. I have a few I'd bought a few years ago but never used.
Old May 21, 2009, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by simba_az
Used status is self managed. Restaurant.com provides a tool for you to track your certificate usage, but the status will never be updated by restaurant.com.
Correct - you would have to update the status online (one can also say "gifted to XXX", if I recall correctly). If one tries to re-use a certificate, I would hope the restaurant calls the 1-800 number as per the instructions to verify the certificate, then confronts the customer. I simply print them out and keep them in a desk drawer - if I can't find it, I assume "used".
Old May 21, 2009, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Fraud, if I've used it. Yes.

But what if I haven't but it's not in my stack?

But the answer of it being self-managed is the key, I guess. If I lose it, it's gone.

Not necessarily. If you still have the e-mail they sent you when you purchased the certificate, with the link that you used to print the certificate, the link is still good and you can print off another one. I've done that when I've misplaced the original certificate but haven't used it.

Always save that e-mail until you've used the certificate(s).
Old May 21, 2009, 8:27 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
One way you can tell if the restaurant called the 1-800 number to validate your certificate is if you get in the next day(s) an email asking for a review of the restaurant.

I live in California so I could care less about reusing a certificate. I do know which ones were not called in (rarely). So many restaurants leave the system or go out of business but I have a lifetime to get replacement certificates so I buy a lot of them.

Slightly off topic but I believe I've only had one restaurant that was listed in the system ever reject its use. I always present when ordering to avoid this problem. When I go out of town, I will pre-call or email the restaurant(s) to make sure they will accept them.
Old May 21, 2009, 9:27 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Fraud fraud fraud fraud fraud.
Gimme a friggin' break.

One of the things that bugs me about the Restaurant.com website is the "self managed" certificate status. Why they can't simply add an automatic status update is beyond me. I have pages of unused certificates and I always forget which ones are used. Some of them are multiples from the same restaurants I like to visit.

Sometimes I'm heading to a place that I know I've used certs before, but I don't know which ones. So I print several that I know have some valid ones and head to the restaurant. Once, when paying the bill, the server came back with the certificate and said that it had been used. No problem, I just pulled out another one and said try this one! They had no problem with it and it worked fine. If the certificates are validated (used) they are no good anymore, it's as simple as that.

At the same time, I have no problem using a certificate that was never validated. If they fail to call in and validate it, it's certainly fair game to use it again. It's not my fault if they forgot or didn't care too. And as I explained, most of the time I don't know if I've used it before or not.
Old May 23, 2009, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JonathanIT

At the same time, I have no problem using a certificate that was never validated. If they fail to call in and validate it, it's certainly fair game to use it again. It's not my fault if they forgot or didn't care too.
So, even if you know you used it, it is still OK for you to use it againt, if the restaurant makes an error. Would you contact the restaurant if they accidently charged your credit card $1.00 instead of $100.00, since after all, it is their fault for not checking.
Old May 23, 2009, 1:55 am
Suspended

Fraud fraud fraud fraud fraud. Even if somehow the idea was tempting to me, the certs are nearly free with some of the frequent discounts, and I'd really not want to screw the restaurant participating in the program

While I dont agree with the "fraud fraud etc" part, I do agree that the certs are so cheap, why bother screwing the restaurant?

At the moment, an offer for 80% off (Code SPECIAL) up to may 25th.

So a $25 cert for all of $2

Just getting to know this forum - and I am sure this must be mentioned elsewhere - but you can buy one of these certs for a partner activity with Delta and NWA for their Pile on the Miles promo.

Make sure to go through the shopping portal on their websites
Old May 23, 2009, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by 3rivers
While I dont agree with the "fraud fraud etc" part, I do agree that the certs are so cheap, why bother screwing the restaurant?
Of course, the implication of both your and Eastbay1k's "morality" is that it should be practiced only when it is convenient/inexpensive to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.