Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

The annual tax software discounts thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The annual tax software discounts thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Free TurboTax Military Edition & Free State & Federal Filing for military E1-E5

To those of you in the military or know of someone that serves:

If you are junior enlisted personnel, rank E-1 to E-5, you can prepare and file your federal and state tax returns with TurboTax Military Edition for free, through Feb. 14, 2013:

http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-...jsp?PID=361116
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:38 pm

Should work on...

Originally Posted by KM123
A friend and I have always used turbo tax separately but now live at the same residence. If it's good for five filings does the code work for both computers or does it need to be done under the same user name? Thanks.
both computers. I believe it is five total for the particular software assigned code.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Could be off topic, if so I apologize but does anyone know of a tax software that allows for non resident filing (NR)? I am Canadian but have to file with IRS and would like to do it myself but none of the ones I have looked at support this. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:46 pm

The Year is the...

Originally Posted by Boraxo
That's what I was trying to say State e-file always costs extra. Of course you can e-file any return you want. However if you owe tax you may decide to paper file as you could get a little float time on your payment check by filing on the due date. Though the float is not too long anymore

Is this for the tax return you file in 2013? Because the description is not clear. It should say "Turbo tax for fiscal year 2012 returns"
...Tax year. I have never seen the word "fiscal" in any Turbo Tax ads or packaging so I am not sure how this is not clear. Did you not buy 2011 last year?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by yamonjon
...Tax year. I have never seen the word "fiscal" in any Turbo Tax ads or packaging so I am not sure how this is not clear. Did you not buy 2011 last year?
I have been buying them for years, but never really paid attention. It isn't really an issue when you go into a retailer in January and see a big display. But online you will find that Amazon sells software going back several years, and not so obvious when you are buying in December. How hard would it be to add a word to the label to avoid any confusion
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:26 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I have been buying them for years, but never really paid attention. It isn't really an issue when you go into a retailer in January and see a big display. But online you will find that Amazon sells software going back several years, and not so obvious when you are buying in December. How hard would it be to add a word to the label to avoid any confusion
You are reporting your 2012 income on a 1040 with 2012 in big print with software also marked 2012. How's that confusing unless you are one of 4,000 filers with a fiscal year like March 1, 2012, ending February 28, 2013. If so, that could be confusing but it would your fault for choosing a fiscal year. Oh, by the way, a fiscal year is any year that is not a calendar year.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:01 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by rdaven2003
I just received over 6,000 UR points for buying Turbo tax software and other software at Office Depot. All in I figure it will cost me about $112. It is a bit of a hassle to deal with all the rebates that go along with this deal but I have time to grapple with that for the points. I have a program that helps keep track of the rebates so I do not loose out on any. It also helped me with my new IP spend.
Does anyone know if the points of these affiliate sites (Chase Ultimate Rewards, ShopDiscover, Mypoints) are invalidated or reduced when partially paying with Office Depot Worklife rewards?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by DCBob
You are reporting your 2012 income on a 1040 with 2012 in big print with software also marked 2012. How's that confusing unless you are one of 4,000 filers with a fiscal year like March 1, 2012, ending February 28, 2013. If so, that could be confusing but it would your fault for choosing a fiscal year. Oh, by the way, a fiscal year is any year that is not a calendar year.
Because you are filing in 2013 and buying the product in 2013. And every other piece of software that you buy this year will have 2013 on the cover. Like MLB 2013 (to be fair I think Madden may even say 2014).

So I think you missed the point. I am not confused about what return I am filing this year. But Turbo could be more clear by summarizing the product as "for taxes filed in 2013 for the year ended 12/31/2012". Just putting "2012" is not a model of clarity.

Addendum: Interesting the box I received has no year on the cover, but reads "2012 tax year" in small print on the side.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jan 17, 2013 at 12:06 pm
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by PG
Does anyone know if the points of these affiliate sites (Chase Ultimate Rewards, ShopDiscover, Mypoints) are invalidated or reduced when partially paying with Office Depot Worklife rewards?
I can't speak about experiences with Chase UR or ShopDiscover, but my experience with using rewards points/rewards certs for through purchases MyPoints has worked fine with numerous retailers.

I don't remember the last time I made a purchase online with OD Workplace Rewards, but have had no trouble using reward points/rewards certs from Sears, eBags, JCPenney, and others. [and still received MyPoints credit, and the points were not invalidated] However, in 2012 I did use a OD Gift Card along with credit card to pay the rest and still received MyPoints for the purchase.

Anytime I have rewards certs that I use for an online purchase, I use MyPoints and the points post like clockwork. One of the reasons I love MyPoints.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Latest best combined, seems to be TTD+state with QD2013 (this is a version number not tax year reference) for 55.75$ shipped from Dell SBH
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by rbAA
Has download of H&R Block at Home Deluxe (includes 5 Fed efiles and 1 state download-state efile is extra,) for $44.95 with 20% cashback, so about $36 net. Must shop thru ShopDiscover site and use your Discover card.
Thanks! ^
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
....checking Amazon tonight (Sun night)
H&R Block at Home
Premium & Business $38
Premium & State (with 5 free federal e-files) $31
Deluxe and State $26
....looks like your choice of download or disc......
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:13 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Max M
I can't speak about experiences with Chase UR or ShopDiscover, but my experience with using rewards points/rewards certs for through purchases MyPoints has worked fine with numerous retailers.

I don't remember the last time I made a purchase online with OD Workplace Rewards, but have had no trouble using reward points/rewards certs from Sears, eBags, JCPenney, and others. [and still received MyPoints credit, and the points were not invalidated] However, in 2012 I did use a OD Gift Card along with credit card to pay the rest and still received MyPoints for the purchase.

Anytime I have rewards certs that I use for an online purchase, I use MyPoints and the points post like clockwork. One of the reasons I love MyPoints.
Thanks for the information.

I received a confirmation email from ShopDiscover that my OfficeDepot purchase (paid partially with Office Depot worklife points and partially with Discover) would get the ShopDiscover bonus for the full amount.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
Originally Posted by peersteve
....checking Amazon tonight (Sun night)
H&R Block at Home
Premium & Business $38
Premium & State (with 5 free federal e-files) $31
Deluxe and State $26
....looks like your choice of download or disc......
I got the Deluxe and state from Bestbuy.com for $31, but comes with a $10 gift card. Note that deal is not in the store, but only online..... Free shipping.....
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold,Marriott, US,AA.DL, AGR, Hyatt
If you have a Fidelity account and have a private client representative, you can get a free copy of TT Deluxe by calling your advisor.
If you have a Vanguard Admilral account you can get a free download of Turbotax Deluxe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.