Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair Baggage Allowance and Cabin Baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair Baggage Allowance and Cabin Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 5:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
It has been a while since I flew Ryanair but I have seen them check the weight of my small backpack (especially at Stanstead).

I think the thing that should be taken away is that Ryanair has a strict policy on one piece of cabin luggage that must not exceed the given weight. Whilst it is not uniformly enforced at all airports. You just never know if you will be the unlucky sod who gets asked to pop it on the scales and end up having to pay excess baggage fee.

Ryanair, as we all know, is a flying bus service. Relatively cheap but if they can screw an extra few quid out of you they will.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:31 am

PLEASE try to make sure you stay within their 'free' baggage limits - ie ONE HOLD BAG WEIGHING LESS THAN 15 KG and ONE HAND BAG WEIGHING LESS THAN 10 KG.

They would weigh their own grandmother, and anything over 15 kg dead is charged per kilo!!

Get to the airport early, find a vacant check in desk - yes there are even some at STN! - and check your baggage weights, and if necessary reorganise your contents before joining the check in queue. Ryanair are out to take you for any money they can, so you really need to be up to speed about their baggage allowance and other 'fees' before you travel!
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
[QUOTE=Alsacienne;10316333]PLEASE try to make sure you stay within their 'free' baggage limits - ie ONE HOLD BAG WEIGHING LESS THAN 15 KG and ONE HAND BAG WEIGHING LESS THAN 10 KG.

Do note that in Ryanair-Speak, the hold baggage that is "free" or included in the ticket price is the weight of 15kg hold baggage BUT EACH bag checked is
subject to a fee and one must use an agent to check a bag and checking in
with an agent is subject to a fee while online check-in is free. 2 fees must be paid in order to use the 15 kg "free" checked baggage weight included in
the ticket price. The only way to not pay fees for baggage above the actual
ticket price is to travel only with the ONE allowed carry-on cabin bag weighing less than 10kg. If you can not manage with just a carryon, I find it is worth paying the agent check-in fee and fee for one checked item so I can
bring a checked bag. When these fees are paid online at time of purchasing
the ticket, they are lower than if purchased at the airport day of departure.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:06 am

I will be paying to check in at the airport as I am not an EU passport holder. I still don't think I understand this baggage allowance thing. One carry on weighing 10kg free + one checked bag not exceeding 15kg (+ £4 airport checking in fee) = price of the ticket? Is that what you are saying? On the ryanair FAQ is states £8 for first checked bag and then of course the £4 checking in fee.

My calculations are £10 ticket OW + £4 checking in + £8 15kg checked bag fee (if one does check a bag) = £22 total cost of OW trip.

Ahhh there go my brain cells!!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
That's why, for all the before-mentioned obvious reasons, I carry a compact handheld luggage scale with me on travels that will have restricted baggage allowance.
The cost is minimal ($6.-), but the tool is really handy and very practical.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MissM
I will be paying to check in at the airport as I am not an EU passport holder. I still don't think I understand this baggage allowance thing. One carry on weighing 10kg free + one checked bag not exceeding 15kg (+ £4 airport checking in fee) = price of the ticket? Is that what you are saying? On the ryanair FAQ is states £8 for first checked bag and then of course the £4 checking in fee.

My calculations are £10 ticket OW + £4 checking in + £8 15kg checked bag fee (if one does check a bag) = £22 total cost of OW trip.
Its potentially worse than that actually! Its only £8 per checked in bag if you pay in advance online via the website.

If you pay at the airport then it doubles to £16 per checked bag (+£4 check in fee) each way.

The website should have offered you the option to add baggage + check in fee as part of the booking process, but you can go back in and add the bag fee and check-in fee in advance before you travel.

Also, remember that the excess baggage charge is £12 per kilo over your 15kg checked allowance, and they have been known to charge people for being only 1kg over!

Last edited by abfab; Sep 6, 2008 at 4:27 pm
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:08 pm

Can anyone share experiences taking hand luggage only on ryanair? A few things I would like to know are:
  • How picky are they about the dimensions of the bag you take?
  • Would a regular school bookbag/backpack type bag be okay to use?
  • What are some examples of practical bags that you've used that fit everything you needed?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA, PC Plat
Originally Posted by MissM
Can anyone share experiences taking hand luggage only on ryanair? A few things I would like to know are:
  • How picky are they about the dimensions of the bag you take?
  • Would a regular school bookbag/backpack type bag be okay to use?
  • What are some examples of practical bags that you've used that fit everything you needed?
1) How picky depends on who you get...size wise they state the max is just under 21"x16"x8". I've never seen them weigh carry on luggage, but it would not surprise me if they did. I have seen people carry on things that were bigger than this (odd shaped boxes, etc.), so I suspect it's not 100% enforced but I would not chance it.

2) As long as your backpack is under 21x16x8 you'll be fine...most are.

3) You'll be fine with any rollerboard under 21x16x8...some US airlines allow a slightly larger size, so if you're shopping make sure to check the dimensions. I can get nearly everything I need for a 2 week journey in a carry on, it's usually the gifts I bring with that require me to check bags

Advice time:

1) Wear your bulkiest clothes, shoes, coat, etc. to reduce bulk in your bag.

2) The 'shopping bag' trick. Basically, even the cheap airlines look the other way on purchases you've made in the airport. If you have a sweatshirt or other item which absolutely will not fit in your carry on, carry it seperately in a shopping bag. Technically they can force you to fit it all in the one bag or check something, but based on what I've seen do not (and I've seen people with many, many bags in addition to their one carry on).

I hope this helps.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IrishRed
1) How picky depends on who you get...size wise they state the max is just under 21"x16"x8". I've never seen them weigh carry on luggage, but it would not surprise me if they did.
I've had my carry on luggage weighed at the check in desk at SVQ on Ryanair. It was a standard cabin size rollerboard.

It came to 11kg and I was warned that I must reduce it to 10KG before I boarded, however at the gate no one took any further notice, and I couldn't even see any weighing facilities there.

I think I was unlucky and got someone having a bad day though, most people report they don't worry too much about hand luggage if its not too oversized.

Last edited by abfab; Sep 10, 2008 at 7:18 pm
Old Sep 12, 2008, 3:56 pm
Suspended

I have said before I have seen them check people at the gate and refuse to let them board so beware
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:47 am

Ryanair Online

Hi All,
I have just checked me and 3 friends in for a ryanair flight fro EMA to DUB. We are traveling with online check in and cabin bagage only.

Now we have our boarding cards I was just wondering when at which point if any do Ryanair/security weigh the bags to confirm their weight? Just wondering if we can push the boundaries any on the weight.

Thanks in anticipation
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by samptaylor
Hi All,
Now we have our boarding cards I was just wondering when at which point if any do Ryanair/security weigh the bags to confirm their weight? Just wondering if we can push the boundaries any on the weight.
As I've seen many times, they often check it at the time of boarding, but generally only those which appear to be i.e. not everyone is checked. And generally, they are more concerned about the number of pieces (only a total of 1 is allowed which includes laptop, ladies purse etc) and not the weight.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:31 pm

can any one tell me all these questions and answears is this per person?? or booking or what its very confusing thanks
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:07 pm

Basically, even the cheap airlines look the other way on purchases you've made in the airport.
Sorry not Ryanair! That'll be £30/30€ and one bag will have to go in the hold ... collected at the gate ... or you don't fly. GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR
Old Jun 10, 2011, 8:29 am

Hi guys!

A quick question:

I am travelling with Ryanair later this month, and the purpose of this trip is a wedding. That means that I have to take my suit with me.

Can I carry my suit as a cabin bag? I am not planning of having another cabin bag at all. Only a checked bag.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.