FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Baggage Allowance and Cabin Baggage
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:53 pm
IrishRed

Programs: UA, PC Plat
Originally Posted by MissM
Can anyone share experiences taking hand luggage only on ryanair? A few things I would like to know are:
  • How picky are they about the dimensions of the bag you take?
  • Would a regular school bookbag/backpack type bag be okay to use?
  • What are some examples of practical bags that you've used that fit everything you needed?
1) How picky depends on who you get...size wise they state the max is just under 21"x16"x8". I've never seen them weigh carry on luggage, but it would not surprise me if they did. I have seen people carry on things that were bigger than this (odd shaped boxes, etc.), so I suspect it's not 100% enforced but I would not chance it.

2) As long as your backpack is under 21x16x8 you'll be fine...most are.

3) You'll be fine with any rollerboard under 21x16x8...some US airlines allow a slightly larger size, so if you're shopping make sure to check the dimensions. I can get nearly everything I need for a 2 week journey in a carry on, it's usually the gifts I bring with that require me to check bags

Advice time:

1) Wear your bulkiest clothes, shoes, coat, etc. to reduce bulk in your bag.

2) The 'shopping bag' trick. Basically, even the cheap airlines look the other way on purchases you've made in the airport. If you have a sweatshirt or other item which absolutely will not fit in your carry on, carry it seperately in a shopping bag. Technically they can force you to fit it all in the one bag or check something, but based on what I've seen do not (and I've seen people with many, many bags in addition to their one carry on).

I hope this helps.