Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair - Coronavirus and Italy flights [merged cancellation questions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair - Coronavirus and Italy flights [merged cancellation questions]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Patto17962
I'm hoping some of you with recent Ryanair cancellation experience can help me please. I have a flight booked from Stansted to Gran Canaria at the end of May. Given the situation I am expecting the flight to be cancelled, at which point I will ask for a refund.

My question is - How many days before a flight is scheduled to depart have Ryanair been informing passengers of the flight's cancellation?

If they are not going to cancel my flight then I need to change it, but I also need to change other things like the hotel booking, but everything hinges around on whether the flight is cancelled or not.

Many thanks in advance.
Hmmm. It sounds like you could be my guinea pig, as my flight is in early June. Could not cancelling flights be a ploy to force customers to take vouchers instead of refunds? If your flight is still "on the books" -- even if it's pretty obvious it will never fly -- are you only entitled to a voucher? If that's the case, Ryanair will probably roll out cancellations very slowly.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:27 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin Flying Club
Hi iahphx,

I will post what happens (whenever it does happen) in this thread so hopefully it might help you. From what I have read it looks like Ryanair put out a press release with a date that they have cancelled flights up to.

What I'm interested in is when exactly do individuals get the email informing them that their specific flight has been cancelled?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
What I'm interested in is when exactly do individuals get the email informing them that their specific flight has been cancelled?
Sehr geehrter Kunde,

Wir bedauern sehr, Aufgrund der Auswirkungen von COVID-19 musste Ryanair Ihren Flug annullieren.. Bitte informieren Sie andere Personen, die in Ihrer Gruppe reisen.

Mit dieser heutigen Benachrichtigung informieren wir alle Kunden, dass sie zwischen einer vollstndigen Erstattung der Kosten fr Ihr Ticket oder der Option einer Umleitung sowie einer angemessenen Versorgung (siehe unten) whlen knnen.

1. Eine Erstattung beantragen

Wenn Sie Ihre Reservierung annulieren und den vollen Preis fr den/die nicht angetretenen Flug/Flge erstattet bekommen mchten, klicken Sie bitte auf ... und geben Sie Ihre Buchungsdetails ein. Erstattungen erfolgen innerhalb von sieben Werktagen auf dem Zahlungsweg, ber den die ursprngliche Buchung abgewickelt wurde.

2. Annullierten Flug umbuchen (kostenfrei)

Sie haben das Recht auf eine Umleitung Ihres Fluges zu Ihrem endgltigen Ziel und zu vergleichbaren Transportbedingungen: entweder zum frhestmglichen Zeitpunkt oder zu einem spteren Zeitpunkt Ihrer Wahl, sofern Sitzpltze verfgbar sind.

Wenn Sie eine Umleitung auf einen anderen Ryanair-Flug zum selben oder einem alternativen Zielflughafen am selben Tag oder zu einem alternativen Datum (vor oder nach Ihrem geplanten Abflugdatum) in Anspruch nehmen mchten, wenden Sie sich bitte an unser Team der Kundenbetreuung (unter Beachtung der ffnungszeiten) oder suchen Sie den Ticketschalter am Flughafen auf. Unser Team der Kundenbetreuung kann Sie auch untersttzen, falls Sie andere Umleitungsalternativen bentigen, z. B. eine frhere Umleitung mit einer alternativen Fluggesellschaft bzw. per Zug, Bus oder Mietwagen.

Wenn Sie die Umleitung zum frhestmglichen Zeitpunkt in Anspruch nehmen, haben Sie Anspruch auf angemessene Mahlzeiten und Erfrischungen, Hotelunterbringung, Transport zwischen dem Flughafen und Ihrer Unterkunft (Hotel etc.) sowie gegebenenfalls Transport zu oder von einem alternativen Flughafen.

Sollten diese Leistungen nicht angeboten werden, obwohl sie Ihnen zustehen, bewahren Sie bitte alle Quittungen (mit detaillierter Aufschlsselung) der angemessenen Kosten auf, da Sie diese Ryanair vorlegen mssen, um Ihre Kosten zurckzufordern.

Im Anhang finden Sie den vollstndigen Wortlaut Ihrer Rechte gem der EU-Verordnung 261/2004.

Weitere Informationen zu Flugannullierungen oder Versptungen finden Sie hier..

Wir mchten Sie erneut fr die entstandenen Unannehmlichkeiten um Entschuldigung bitten.

Mit freundlichen Gren

Ihr Ryanair-Kundenservice

Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, PC Platinum Elite Ambassador, Marriot Rewards Gold Elite, Starwood PG, HH
I was due to fly on 11/04/2020 NCL->Dub. Got cancellation email from them 24/03/2020 offering refund or free rebook. Went for refund. Got further email on 09/04/2020 saying "...Customer Services Team are experiencing an unprecedented high volume of requests"

Heard nothing further but my cousin who was on same flight has had an email offering vouchers (she asked for refund), rang them today and was blocked at every avenue in trying to get refund even though she had previously rang and spoke to an advisor who confirmed refund.

My feeling is they are giving vouchers to those who have less recourse having paid by debit card than those that paid with Credit Card or Paypal.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blackjackburger
I was due to fly on 11/04/2020 NCL->Dub. Got cancellation email from them 24/03/2020 offering refund or free rebook. Went for refund. Got further email on 09/04/2020 saying "...Customer Services Team are experiencing an unprecedented high volume of requests"

Heard nothing further but my cousin who was on same flight has had an email offering vouchers (she asked for refund), rang them today and was blocked at every avenue in trying to get refund even though she had previously rang and spoke to an advisor who confirmed refund.

My feeling is they are giving vouchers to those who have less recourse having paid by debit card than those that paid with Credit Card or Paypal.
Hmmm. Having been caught up in last year's BA pilot strike, I remember something about EU rules requiring compensation if the flight is cancelled within 2 weeks of travel. BA, of course, waited until that date to cancel (and, because of it, it cost me a few bucks to book alternative flights). Is Ryanair basically doing the same thing? If so, I guess the best course of action is to wait until the 14 days (or whatever) to get the email and then ask for a refund. And carefully watch the progress of that refund.

Also, I'm realizing I paid for my Ryanair tickets on a Chase credit card through Paypal. (I recall that when I bought the tickets, my Chase Freedom card was offering bonus points for Paypal purchases, which is why I did it this way). If I have to dispute the charge, do I do it through Chase, Paypal or both?
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Bronze, PC Platinum Elite Ambassador, Marriot Rewards Gold Elite, Starwood PG, HH
Originally Posted by iahphx
Hmmm. Having been caught up in last year's BA pilot strike, I remember something about EU rules requiring compensation if the flight is cancelled within 2 weeks of travel. BA, of course, waited until that date to cancel (and, because of it, it cost me a few bucks to book alternative flights). Is Ryanair basically doing the same thing? If so, I guess the best course of action is to wait until the 14 days (or whatever) to get the email and then ask for a refund. And carefully watch the progress of that refund.

Also, I'm realizing I paid for my Ryanair tickets on a Chase credit card through Paypal. (I recall that when I bought the tickets, my Chase Freedom card was offering bonus points for Paypal purchases, which is why I did it this way). If I have to dispute the charge, do I do it through Chase, Paypal or both?
I think there may have been a change in the (EU) law to allow Ryanair and other EU carriers the option of giving credit vouchers instead of refunds. Ryanair are vigourously adopting this policy, together with 'admin' blocking if you do try and still pursue a refund ie saying you will be placed in a queue for payout 'once this all ends', long long waits in telephone queues to speak to staff etc.

I have this morning applied for a refund via Paypal's resolution centre. They as the seller signed up to PP's conditions. I am not envisaging any issues, though it may take till end of May to get the refund going this route as you have to give the seller some time to respond (which I don't think they will).
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:29 am

There has not been a change in the law, the EC explicitly came out recently to state that the law hasn’t change and that refunds are required. The airlines are just apparently breaking the law at the moment.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by James91
There has not been a change in the law, the EC explicitly came out recently to state that the law hasnt change and that refunds are required. The airlines are just apparently breaking the law at the moment.
Yes, lots of them are just flat-out refusing to provide the refunds due within 7 days of request under EU regulations. Take a voucher, fill out this form, don't call us, please wait until we get back to you, etc.

Simple way to deal with this if you paid via credit card: dispute the charge 7 days after you put in the request for a refund. If you didn't pay by credit card, it's not going to be an easy process to get your money back.
James91 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
As a further datapoint.

Had a flight booked for 24/4
Got cancelled.
Told I would get a voucher or told to fill in refundclaim form for refund.
Filled it in.
Received an email with a voucher, told to go online again to get a refund.
Wont let me fill in the form as "a application has already been submitted".
Not sure what to do, so filled in the Complaint form telling them I want a refund, not a voucher.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by marconess
As a further datapoint.

Had a flight booked for 24/4
Got cancelled.
Told I would get a voucher or told to fill in refundclaim form for refund.
Filled it in.
Received an email with a voucher, told to go online again to get a refund.
Wont let me fill in the form as "a application has already been submitted".
Not sure what to do, so filled in the Complaint form telling them I want a refund, not a voucher.
Did you pay with a credit card? If so, I suggest disputing the charge after seven days from your refund request. EU reg. requires refund in 7 days.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blackjackburger
I think there may have been a change in the (EU) law to allow Ryanair and other EU carriers the option of giving credit vouchers instead of refunds. Ryanair are vigourously adopting this policy, together with 'admin' blocking if you do try and still pursue a refund ie saying you will be placed in a queue for payout 'once this all ends', long long waits in telephone queues to speak to staff etc.

I have this morning applied for a refund via Paypal's resolution centre. They as the seller signed up to PP's conditions. I am not envisaging any issues, though it may take till end of May to get the refund going this route as you have to give the seller some time to respond (which I don't think they will).
Any feel for how to proceed if you paid for a Ryanair ticket with a credit card through Paypal? I have had good experience disputing charges with credit card companies. I don't have much experience disputing charges with PayPal. I have a gut feeling that the credit card companies will be more helpful.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by dhuey
Did you pay with a credit card? If so, I suggest disputing the charge after seven days from your refund request. EU reg. requires refund in 7 days.
Paid via CC but under 100 (51), to be honest, the amount I fly Ryanair, I would use the voucher in the next 12 months, just out of principle I want the money.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Any feel for how to proceed if you paid for a Ryanair ticket with a credit card through Paypal? I have had good experience disputing charges with credit card companies. I don't have much experience disputing charges with PayPal. I have a gut feeling that the credit card companies will be more helpful.
I'm not optimistic about PayPal, but you could give it a shot. Airline tickets don't seem like an "item" under its Purchase Protection Program, but it's not listed in the exclusions. https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...ase-protection
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by marconess
Paid via CC but under 100 (51), to be honest, the amount I fly Ryanair, I would use the voucher in the next 12 months, just out of principle I want the money.
Yeah, I'm like that too with my easyJet and Alitalia tickets. Small amounts, but I hate the deception and game-playing.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:48 am
Suspended

I had a GLA-DUB flight with them on April 29th which was cancelled a few weeks ago. I filled out the form to get a refund to my original form of payment and they just sent me an email with a voucher. What a joke. I can't even reach a rep on the phone or via their online chat. It's not a lot of money but as a matter of principle, they should have refunded me already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.