Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair - Coronavirus and Italy flights [merged cancellation questions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair - Coronavirus and Italy flights [merged cancellation questions]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:25 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Ryanair Coronavirus cancellation questions

Hi guys, we have tickets from PRG - BGY on 12 March and BGY - PRG on 14 march (bought in one reservation). Now the flights FROM Italy to Czech are forbidden from 5th March until 19th March so I guess Ryanair have to refund us for this way but what about the other from PRG to BGY?

EDIT :// Ryanair cancelled both of my flights today but I was unable to make the refund from website or application (it ends up with unknown error) so you have to use their customer support but nevertheless they refunded both of my flights.

Last edited by casey89; Mar 4, 2020 at 5:40 am
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:32 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I'm somewhat in a similar situation. Booked for Easter to go to Bologna/Florence with Ryanair and OS. The OS flights have had a schedule change so can be canceled for free. The FR ones to BLQ are still going though, even today. Its not a whole lot of money (60 euro for 2 pax) but still - would be good if they allow free rebooking so that value can be used elsewhere.

My main problem is getting hotels refunded. When I booked the Corona virus wasn't really a thing and I booked hotels non-refundable as I generally do.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by casey89
Now the flights FROM Italy to Czech are forbidden from 5th March until 19th March so I guess Ryanair have to refund us for this way but what about the other from PRG to BGY?

Being forced to stop flights from Italy to CZ means, of course, that any airlines thus affected will also not run flights in the opposite direction...
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28

Being forced to stop flights from Italy to CZ means, of course, that any airlines thus affected will also not run flights in the opposite direction...
I am glad you are making fun of me. I am not a regular flyer and none of my flights have ever been cancelled so I do not know those sort of things.
Have a nice day..
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:50 am
Original Poster

It looks like the return flight was cancelled, so the entire itinerary was cancelled and they got their money back. Now hoping that life isn't quarantined for the next 3 months.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, BA Gold
Ryanair refusing to rebook for free

Hi
My flight with Ryanair got cancelled and I tried to rebook it to a later date in summer, however they want to charge the fare difference, even when I contacted them.
Am I not entitled to it for free under EU261?
Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Only if there is availability in the fare bucket. Apparently there is not.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I have a flight PMI to PIK. Ryanair aren't selling any more seats on any flights and don't list any of them on that route until May 1st. However, on Manage My Booking, my flight still says "Scheduled". Do I need to wait until it's cancelled until I can request a refund? Why hasn't it been cancelled yet? Anybody know the time for these things?

Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by petter2
Hi
My flight with Ryanair got cancelled and I tried to rebook it to a later date in summer, however they want to charge the fare difference, even when I contacted them.
Am I not entitled to it for free under EU261?
Thanks
No, you are entitled to "the earliest opportunity", not a date of your choosing.

Alternatively you can get a refund.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
No, you are entitled to "the earliest opportunity", not a date of your choosing.

Alternatively you can get a refund.
Article 8, Section 1 (c) may disagree with you.
re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:13 am

Ryanair has posted a big message saying they don't really expect to run flights until June, yet all routes are on sale as normal for the month of May (April is pretty much empty). Very frustrating -- if my May flight got cancelled then at least I can start to make arrangements for trying to cancel the hotel etc.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hoping for some advice. I'm an American, holding tickets to Europe in early June. As part of my vacation, I'm holding flights from Western Europe to Hungary on Ryanair. I think the odds of me taking this trip are getting low. Not necessarily because of the actual virus, but I think countries will be slow to reopen their borders. I read yesterday that Austria, which will be the first European country to restart their economy, doesn't plan to open their borders this summer at all. There's no way Hungary, which tends to be somewhat xenophobic in "normal" times, is going to rush to let the world in.

Of course, as others have noted Ryanair, is acting like even May flights are fine, so my flights are showing as operating. What timeline am I likely looking at to get a flight cancellation? And what is my best strategy to get my money back? I only fly Ryanair every couple of years, so I certainly don't want a voucher. In the USA, it's pretty easy to dispute a charge with your credit card company, but that's usually a long and cumbersome process. I would think my first option would be to ask for my money back from Ryanair. I doubt I can do that until next month, though.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Hoping for some advice. I'm an American, holding tickets to Europe in early June. As part of my vacation, I'm holding flights from Western Europe to Hungary on Ryanair. I think the odds of me taking this trip are getting low. Not necessarily because of the actual virus, but I think countries will be slow to reopen their borders. I read yesterday that Austria, which will be the first European country to restart their economy, doesn't plan to open their borders this summer at all. There's no way Hungary, which tends to be somewhat xenophobic in "normal" times, is going to rush to let the world in.

Of course, as others have noted Ryanair, is acting like even May flights are fine, so my flights are showing as operating. What timeline am I likely looking at to get a flight cancellation? And what is my best strategy to get my money back? I only fly Ryanair every couple of years, so I certainly don't want a voucher. In the USA, it's pretty easy to dispute a charge with your credit card company, but that's usually a long and cumbersome process. I would think my first option would be to ask for my money back from Ryanair. I doubt I can do that until next month, though.
https://simpleflying.com/ryanair-stops-giving-refunds/

Do the chargeback. I had to do one for Easyjet through Amex and they approved it instantly. I was impressed.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by James91
https://simpleflying.com/ryanair-stops-giving-refunds/

Do the chargeback. I had to do one for Easyjet through Amex and they approved it instantly. I was impressed.
Thanks for the link. Looks like it will be "fun" getting my money back. But I think I did charge the tickets to my AMEX Platinum card (for the 5x) so that should help. I guess I have to wait for them to actually cancel my flight though, right? And I guess it's too early to know for June. Heck, maybe there's a 5 or 10% chance I can go: although when I see the slow "flattening of the curve" in Europe of what are some pretty terrible infection rates, I don't think there's going to be much (any?) cross-border leisure travel in early June.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: Qantas, Virgin Flying Club
I'm hoping some of you with recent Ryanair cancellation experience can help me please. I have a flight booked from Stansted to Gran Canaria at the end of May. Given the situation I am expecting the flight to be cancelled, at which point I will ask for a refund.

My question is - How many days before a flight is scheduled to depart have Ryanair been informing passengers of the flight's cancellation?

If they are not going to cancel my flight then I need to change it, but I also need to change other things like the hotel booking, but everything hinges around on whether the flight is cancelled or not.

Many thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.