Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair's E40 boarding pass reprinting fee ruled illegal in Spain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair's E40 boarding pass reprinting fee ruled illegal in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Even though I am not a lawyer, all fees for services that you need to be able to fly are not legal, i.e. payment fee, boarding fee, boarding pass fee, are not legal.

FR is the only european airline I know of that takes luggage fees. So there must be some legal issue with that as well. One has to consider that quite a number of passengers do travel with checked luggage, so for these people the luggage fee is a big surprise as well, i.e. it is not clear in this case how much the ticket will be at time of travel.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
FR is the only european airline I know of that takes luggage fees.
Er, wha? Most of the low-costs do, certainly easyJet.

I have no issue with that charge so long as it is proportionate.

Neil
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by pacer142
Er, wha? Most of the low-costs do, certainly easyJet.
And FlyBe, bmibaby, jet2, germanwings etc. I don't agree with cost of some of their fees, but I think every one of their fees is implemented by at least one other airline ... in fact, cost aside, their fees are pretty standard for European LCCs.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:07 am

And they have a single Web page that lists all of them, linked to from the front page of their website. I don't think you can really get any clearer than that. (Other than that the wording of the boarding card re-issue fee implies wrongly that it isn't payable if you booked online - I think I'd removed "booked on" / "booked via" from the column headings to make it clearer).

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/table-of-fees
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by marble
in fact, cost aside, their fees are pretty standard for European LCCs.
Their card charges aren't which are per passenger per flight (ie 4 charges for 2 people doing a return trip) rather than per booking.

And I don't think many other low costs airlines charge to check-in online or have a penalty fee for airport check-in.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Now to get rid of their checking-in fee..
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by alanR
And I don't think many other low costs airlines charge to check-in online or have a penalty fee for airport check-in.
I don't think the latter is all that bad an idea (though I think GBP40 is excessive[1]). A lot of people queue to check in for easyJet with hand luggage only - they are taking staff time completely unnecessarily[2], and as such either increasing fares or causing service to be slower to other passengers.

Just because it's always been done one way doesn't mean it always has to be in future. A check-in agent provides no useful service to someone who is not checking a bag in. And unless nobody *can* check in online (in which case it means you know at T-40 mins who isn't going to turn up so the seats can be given to standbys), it isn't useful to the airline either.

[1] I reckon it should be set at a level that would put people off *deliberately* not checking in online, but wouldn't be too much of a penalty if you accidentally forgot your boarding card or for some reason couldn't. GBP5-GBP10 per booking per segment (rather than per person, so families aren't unreasonably hit) might be about right.

[2] For EZY you can print your boarding cards far further in advance than FR. At least a month, but I think it's longer. Thus it isn't a problem for a 2-week break.

Neil
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:37 am

Just checked and for EZY you can print your boarding card 60 days in advance. That's plenty compared with FR's 15.

Neil
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
The most active discussion of this on FT is going on in the BA Executive Club forum here, with over 120 posts so far. May seem like an odd place for it, but given that we don't have an FR forum, that they're based in the UK, and that its starter labeled it as OT for those who want to focus only on BA issues, not as odd as all that.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:15 am

Their card charges aren't which are per passenger per flight (ie 4 charges for 2 people doing a return trip) rather than per booking.
Other LCCs do do this though - bmibaby being one example. Perhaps 'standard' was the wrong word ... I just meant that they have no unique charges (until they start charging for toilets ). FR charges for everything possible while most LCCs just charge for a (growing) subset.

I agree the online check-in fee is nasty ... but they seem to have rolled that into the 'base' fare (so no 99p flights, they're £6.99 due to the online checkin fee). Airport check-in fees are charged by a growing number of LCCs including bmibaby (they seem to keep popping up), Wizz Air, jet2.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:26 am

Article 23 (1) of Regulation 1008/2008

From the EU rules:

Article 23
Information and non-discrimination
1. Air fares and air rates available to the general public shall include the applicable conditions when offered or published in any form, including on the Internet, for air services from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies. The final price to be paid shall at all times be indicated and shall include the applicable air fare or air rate as well as all applicable taxes, and charges, surcharges and fees which are unavoidable and foreseeable at the time of publication. In addition to the indication of the final price, at least the following shall be specified:
(a) air fare or air rate;
(b) taxes;
(c) airport charges; and
(d) other charges, surcharges or fees, such as those related to security or fuel;
where the items listed under (b), (c) and (d) have been added to the air fare or air rate. Optional price supplements shall be communicated in a clear, transparent and unambiguous way at the start of any booking process and their acceptance by the customer shall be on an ‘opt-in’ basis.
The most interesting part are the words I underlined. How can you fly without a check-in?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:54 am

which are unavoidable and foreseeable at the time of publication
Everything which is not avoidable is included in their base fare. Every other fee is avoidable and thus doesn't come under that EU rule.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marble
Everything which is not avoidable is included in their base fare. Every other fee is avoidable and thus doesn't come under that EU rule.
What about checking in?

Originally Posted by Ryanair FAQs
An online check-in fee of €6/£6 is charged per person/per flight
So whether you check-in online, or at the airport, you will be charged
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
What about checking in?

So whether you check-in online, or at the airport, you will be charged
That is the point. Just have a look at the last sentence of the rules, I quoted:

Optional price supplements shall be communicated in a clear, transparent and unambiguous way at the start of any booking process and their acceptance by the customer shall be on an ‘opt-in’ basis.
Does this mean, that I can opt-out check-in for FR in order to fly? Will I get a seat without being checked in? In any other situation, this fee would be illegal according the the EU rules & relguations. Nothing more and nothing less.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
That is the point. Just have a look at the last sentence of the rules, I quoted:

Does this mean, that I can opt-out check-in for FR in order to fly? Will I get a seat without being checked in? In any other situation, this fee would be illegal according the the EU rules & relguations. Nothing more and nothing less.
I agree. I was disagreeing with marble's point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.