which airline in BIZ NYC-Moscow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium

I'm based in NY and planning a trip to Moscow soon. As far as I can tell, my options are Delta and Aeroflot non-stop, or Lufthansa and Finnair via connections.

Are both LH and AY better than DL/SU, even considering the need to make a connection? Any other recommendations?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Finnair has the same wedgie seats as AA - I don't find them to be too bad for wedgie seats. DL's seats are an abomination. LH I find to be the least comfy wedgie seats. I hear SU has decent wedgie seats, but I haven't flown them myself, so I'd hesitate to say.

I would go with Finnair - they have pretty good service, painless connections in Helsinki, and the best seat (IMHO) of the three I've flown on.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Do Lufthansa, Finnair, or any of the other European carriers have real business class seats on their flights to Moscow (e.g. something at least as good as US domestic first class)?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:49 pm

Programs: Onepass Platinum
I've never flown business class on Aeroflot, but they're the exclusive airline I've been using from LAX to SVO. They look like nice seats, sort of an egg pod looking thing that looks fairly comfortable. Couldn't tell you if they really are. They gotta be better than the coach seats, which are this slick vinyl that requires you to pull your seatbelt pretty tight so you don't keep sliding down.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've taken SU up front JFK-SVO a couple of times. The service is excellent, and the seat and the food are pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate to take them again. I also like the timing of the SU flight (later JFK departure) better than the DL flights.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 1:46 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by jtrader
Do Lufthansa, Finnair, or any of the other European carriers have real business class seats on their flights to Moscow (e.g. something at least as good as US domestic first class)?
No, only middle seat blocked and possibly 3-3 converted to 2-2. Differentation is through catering and service.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Unfortunately, no. Its basically coach seating with a blocked middle. I find this to be particularly painful when connecting onto Moscow, having just flown overnight from the USA. That said, LH is a good option because they have 5 flight/day into Moscow, and they fly to DME, which is SO much more civilized than SVO.

Another flight to consider is the AA flight ORD-DME. It requires a connection, but at least you've got a long-haul business class product all the way into Moscow.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
I vote for DL but AA has me curious about their product. UA is due as well to start service from Dulles in the next week or so I believe. Many a choice these days.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Any comments on Finnair? Are they superior enough to Aeroflot to make it worth taking the connection through Helsinki?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 7:40 am

Any comments on Finnair? Are they superior enough to Aeroflot to make it worth taking the connection through Helsinki?
It's a long time since I flew Aeroflot, but in terms of AY the connection in HEL is anything but hell! It's actually all quite civilised - as you arrive you'll go through security and then you be right in the departure lounge. AY's lounge for long-haul J isn't decent if not spectacular. Personally I found AY's long-haul J to be a good product - the thread for better information is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=863743

So in essence i wouldn't really count the transfer in HEL as that much of a negative and AY is good. It's just a case of how much you want to fly SU!
Old Nov 1, 2008, 3:22 pm

I'm based in NY and planning a trip to Moscow soon. As far as I can tell, my options are Delta and Aeroflot non-stop, or Lufthansa and Finnair via connections.

Are both LH and AY better than DL/SU, even considering the need to make a connection? Any other recommendations?
Either Delta or Aeroflot. I prefer Delta's seats and IFE but I like Aeroflot's food and 'service' better.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:05 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
If you want OW miles, fly AY; if you want *A, fly LH; and if you want SkyTeam or convenience, fly SU. If convenience is more important than miles (heresy on this board, but true for some), then fly SU. Having flown it a few times when long haul a/c are substituted on LHR-SVO, the Aeroflot long haul J hard product is perfectly acceptable.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K on final to 2MM
If you don't mind making a connection BMI's service to Moscow has a superior seat to any available through AF, LH, BA, etc. Having made this trip dozens of times from IAH I usually take AF or LH. Now that the SQ non-stop flight is available I have a new and better way to get there.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Most definitely would take Delta BE, absolutely would not go through FRA.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by woody125
I vote for DL but AA has me curious about their product. UA is due as well to start service from Dulles in the next week or so I believe. Many a choice these days.
United was supposed to start IAD-DME in October, but has delayed the route until March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.