Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ways to get from SVO to downtown ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2004, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Ways to get from SVO to downtown ?

Going to Moscow in a month. Sheraton Palace wants $90 to get us from the airport to the hotel. Is there a more reasonable and safe alternative to the hotel limo ? Public transportation is out of the question: I tried it once and did not like it.
Any suggestions?
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:22 am

$90 for taxi from SVO - Sheraton Palace on Tverskaya is nuts. You can arrange for a private driver/private taxi for much less than that. I think the last time I made the run from SVO to Marriott Grand(which is near Sheraton) was 800 Rubles and it has only been a few months since I did that.
Also, you can haggle with the deluge of taxi drivers who will swarm you as you wall into the arrival area of the Terminal.
I am not sure if the Sheraton has a Hotel shuttle van.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:24 am

Did not note that it was in fact the Sheraton that wanted $90 to arrange transportation. I think you can haggle with a taxi driver and get it done for half that. If you know someone in Moscow who can call for a driver, that is the best bet.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firstmate
If you know someone in Moscow who can call for a driver, that is the best bet.
Good suggestion. I think I'll start working on that option. Nevsky, another FT-er, had some good advice for me as well, via private mail.

Sheraton's arrangements are nice, no doubt about it. I used their limo service a couple of years ago. Back then, it was something like $65, one way. Clean, professional, fast. With the current cost being at $90, there HAS TO be some other option out there. Time to dust off my Russian Contacts book !
Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:09 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
i stayed at the marriott grand moscow and sheraton moscow last week

both are nice
stayed on the spg floor at the sheraton
i was very pleased

service at the marriott sucked
took an hour to check in
then had to wait another hour to get my visa stamp

sheraton wants $99 to get a ride to the airport

there is an english speaking guy - alex taxis - who took me to the airport at 4:30 am on monday morning for $30 or 900 roubles
(i gave him my last 1000 rouble bill)

i will look up the website when i return
Old Sep 11, 2004, 1:37 pm

Taxi Service

You should be able to arrange a pickup with a private car for about $30-40. You'll be able to NEGOTIATE a cab from the airport to SVO for about $40-50. Notice I said Negotiate - depending on the time of day you'll find that some taxi drivers will quote you an equally ridiculous amount for the ride. Stick to your guns and don't pay more than $50. If you know someone locally then I'm sure they can arrange something for you in the $15-20 range.

Enjoy your stay.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smooth
Public transportation is out of the question: I tried it once and did not like it.
Any suggestions?
( My apologies for quoting myself )

As strange as it was, this time around I actually liked the option of public transportation. Instead of paying $99 twice for the hotel limo, we took bus/metro to and from Sheraton, all for a total of about $4 US . It was easy, quick and friendly. Everybody on the bus, including the conductor, was helping us along the way with transfers and buying tickets.
I would not recommend this option to those traveling with luggage. But with just a carry-on save yourself $200 and blow it on a great dinner somewhere in Moscow.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 3:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jessej
service at the marriott sucked
took an hour to check in
then had to wait another hour to get my visa stamp
In my experience the Metropol takes overnight, and even the National is several hours.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 5:48 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Originally Posted by chalf
In my experience the Metropol takes overnight, and even the National is several hours.

at the renaissance in st petersburg and the sheraton in moscow it was done immediately
Old Sep 16, 2004, 6:50 am

by the way

I left Moscow on Labor Day

because of the school siege situation the access ramps to the airport were closed and barricaded
no private vehicle access, only public buses
(but considering its Russia I'm sure one could bribe someone to get access)

so you had to walk that last 50 to 100 yards to the airport
but they had moved the carts out to that point so it wasnt that bad
and they were porters waiting to help you
Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Sheremetyevo to downtown Moscow by public transit

You'll find step-by-step instructions at
www.moscowdrivers.net/sheremetyevo.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.