Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting from Ukraine to Russia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Getting from Ukraine to Russia

Since direct flights from Ukraine to Russia have been cancelled for a few years, it seems the best way is to fly to Minsk. However, doesn't Belarus and Russia have a visa-free agreement. Would someone with a non-Belarus/Russia passport be able to fly from Minsk to Russia with the proper visa?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:13 pm

I believe you need both Belarus and Russia visas to do that.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iamflyer
I believe you need both Belarus and Russia visas to do that.
Belarus has the 5-day visa free option for US passport holders, so that part should be no problem.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:10 pm

Actually, no.
The given order of visa-free movement through the airport does not extend to persons coming to Belarus by plane from the Russian Federation, as well as to those who intend to fly to the airports of the Russian Federation (such flights are considered as internal ones and do not have border control).
Additionally you must enter AND exit through Minsk to use the visa exemption.
http://mfa.gov.by/en/visa/visafreetr...bb1f9bf2c.html
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Don’t know about Belarus but I usually transit through Poland.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iamflyer
Actually, no.

Additionally you must enter AND exit through Minsk to use the visa exemption.
Information on visa-free travel via the checkpoint “Minsk National Airport” - Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Belarus
Bummer, although I wonder if that rule is out of date. Someone told me that flights between Belarus and Russia are no longer open border.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Another option is the train. Kiev-Moscow takes 8 hours. Border control is at the origin and destination, not in the middle of the night.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Palal
Another option is the train. Kiev-Moscow takes 8 hours. Border control is at the origin and destination, not in the middle of the night.
That is no longer true. Post 2014 they did away with the border checks at Moscow/Kiev and it's now done at the border again, which is a huge pain as the stops are about 2 hours apart and each is a good 30-45 minutes, so good luck getting some decent sleep.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by drbobguy
That is no longer true. Post 2014 they did away with the border checks at Moscow/Kiev and it's now done at the border again, which is a huge pain as the stops are about 2 hours apart and each is a good 30-45 minutes, so good luck getting some decent sleep.
Yes, you are correct - I forgot. This is true only for train no. 1/2. For other trains the check is still at the border, and they take longer (~10 hrs).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.