Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Is Saint Petersburg worth getting a VISA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Is it worth the trouble to get a VISA just for Saint Petersburg? Wondering how much different/unique it is from Europe. How would you compare it to other cities in the world? Any similarities to other cities? How is it vs Eastern Europe? Would you recommend any places to go in Eastern Europe to get a similar experience or feel is better? Thanks for insight as I an a sponge/open minded when it comes to learning about Russia
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: FB Gold
It really depends on what you expect from the city. In my view, St Petersburg is definitely worth getting a visa for, especially as the procedure for getting a Russian visa has become a lot easier over the last few years (at least ex-EU). I would argue that it is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe and has a very different vibe from the bustling city life of Moscow. The Hermitage and the Marrinsky (both old and new) alone are worth a visit IMHO. When are you planning to go? The white nights in early June are most definitely a highlight if that fits within your schedule.
trooper and TravelinSperry like this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:05 pm
a7m

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Originally Posted by fay637
Is it worth the trouble to get a VISA just for Saint Petersburg? Wondering how much different/unique it is from Europe. How would you compare it to other cities in the world? Any similarities to other cities? How is it vs Eastern Europe? Would you recommend any places to go in Eastern Europe to get a similar experience or feel is better? Thanks for insight as I an a sponge/open minded when it comes to learning about Russia
Well, it depends what you expect from a city visit. What are you into? Museums? Restaurants? Walking?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
In my short visit to St. Petersburg, I discovered that Russians are different. I think visits even short ones can widen one's perspectives on nationalities. So, yes. IMO, St. Petersburg is different from Europe, even Eastern Europe.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

My points is you would think getting a visa you would try to visit a few cities/places. Moscow doesn't interest me. I'm sure Russia has other great spots but if I only ended up doing St. Petersburg I'm wondering if it by itself is worth it. I'm open minded to anything including views, Museums, Restaurants, Walking, etc.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:32 pm

Absolutely it is. We went last year and four nights wasn't enough. As well as the Hermitage I'd thoroughly recommend the Russian Museum.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, St. Petersburg is well worth the visit. It is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.
St. Petersburg SFO777

On the other hand and by comparison, Moscow is rather ugly but still well worth a visit.
Moscow SFO777

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 27, 2018 at 7:17 am
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Yes, you need a week AT LEAST to see everything.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:40 am

Definitely agree with most previous posters. I have been to S-P twice and if you have the slightest interest in architecture, art, culture, or just want to see something beautiful and different from anywhere else (in Europe or even in Russia), then it is worth a visit, for sure.

The only area which I don't think it outranks any of the big European capitals is in high-end cuisine. You can eat well, but if you're after different types of high end restaurants, well, S-P is no match for other places in Europe. In anything else, especially in the arts and architecture department, it is second to none. It is also a very manageable city for people (distances are not huge, streets are made for people, not cars).

You say that you're not interested in Moscow - I know what you mean, I don't like it as much either... but I would still tempt you to give it a go. It is completely different from S-P, less friendly, more metropolis than city. However, it is also quite different from anywhere else in Europe or Russia, and worth a few days. I find that I like S-P more, but I tend to find more reasons to visit Moscow than S-P, it's bigger, busier and there are usually more things happening there at any given time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.