Search

Lost migration card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Lost migration card

I seemed to have misplaced my migration card somehow. Does anyone know what to do in such a case? If anything at all?
Cheers
Howie
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
You should go to the nearest FMS (Federal Migration Service - http://www.fms.gov.ru/) office to get a replacement. Otherwise you may be fined 2000-5000 rubles when leaving Russia. If you choose to risk the fine, be sure to arrive at the airport very early.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Temedar
You should go to the nearest FMS (Federal Migration Service - http://www.fms.gov.ru/) office to get a replacement. Otherwise you may be fined 2000-5000 rubles when leaving Russia. If you choose to risk the fine, be sure to arrive at the airport very early.
Figured as much this should be interesting with my limited Russian. Going to ask my hostelbtto write out what happened in Russian. I also contacted my visa sponsor but doubt they'll be of much help. Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:04 am

For what its worth, the young 20 something border officer who looks like he was born after the Yeltsin era at Domodeava airport forgot to collect my migration card a few times. I just handed the officer my passport and boarding pass. This was at the expedited lane in Domodeva airport, next to the BA lounge.

I use to go to Moscow once or twice a month, pre Crimea. I only realized that I did not surrender the migration card after I had left the Russian Federation. The officer spoke little to no English, yet managed to say " look at me " when checking my passport photo. [ "look at me", I wonder where the officer learnt that phase lol ] . Russian blog readers will understand why this is funny.

On subsequent entries into the Russian Federation, I was admitted with no problems, despite not handing in the card [ yes, I am a good boy ] and made it a point to surrender the migration card even if the officer forgot to ask, which is frequent. I think best be on the correct side of the rules. Forgetting to ask is probably due to language skills. To keep things simple and without misunderstandings, I speak English to the officers, even though I might understand their Russian.

Interpret this information however you wish, but Temedar's advice is correct. However I would go one step further to ask the assistance of the agentry / person that prepared the visa invitation for you, for assistance. That should be your primary point of contact to help you.

Last edited by meFIRST; Jun 2, 2014 at 11:11 am
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meFIRST
For what its worth, the young 20 something border officer who looks like he was born after the Yeltsin era at Domodeava airport forgot to collect my migration card a few times. I just handed the officer my passport and boarding pass. This was at the expedited lane in Domodeva airport, next to the BA lounge.

I use to go to Moscow once or twice a month, pre Crimea. I only realized that I did not surrender the migration card after I had left the Russian Federation. The officer spoke little to no English, yet managed to say " look at me " when checking my passport photo. [ "look at me", I wonder where the officer learnt that phase lol ] . Russian blog readers will understand why this is funny.

On subsequent entries into the Russian Federation, I was admitted with no problems, despite not handing in the card [ yes, I am a good boy ] and made it a point to surrender the migration card even if the officer forgot to ask, which is frequent. I think best be on the correct side of the rules. Forgetting to ask is probably due to language skills. To keep things simple and without misunderstandings, I speak English to the officers, even though I might understand their Russian.

Interpret this information however you wish, but Temedar's advice is correct. However I would go one step further to ask the assistance of the agentry / person that prepared the visa invitation for you, for assistance. That should be your primary point of contact to help you.
I talked to them their useless as they told me to lay low and hope I get out. I tried with my hostel today to help find the nearest UMFS and the girl simply told me she never heard of this problem and went back to being hung over. I'm staying at the Chillax hostel near Trubnaya.
Cheers
Hoiwe
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:59 pm

The nearest UFMS office is at Durova 18 - it's a 20 minute walk from Trubnaya metro. The schedule is here (in Russian): http://www.fmsmoscow.ru/ufms/offices...eshanskiy.html
The queues there might be long.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Temedar
The nearest UFMS office is at Durova 18 - it's a 20 minute walk from Trubnaya metro. The schedule is here (in Russian): http://www.fmsmoscow.ru/ufms/offices...eshanskiy.html
The queues there might be long.
Thanks looks like I'm not going to be able to even do this as they don't open till 11 and my flight in the afternoon today...Oh well I'll have to head to the airport early and try my luck hopefully won't be delayed too long.
Cheers
Howie
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Got very lucky they weren't taking anyone's cards and several people didn't seem to have them at all. Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:29 am

That's Russia, you know
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by meFIRST
The last time I left Russia I also realized that they had forgotten to collect the migration card. On my next entry I duly pointed this out. The officer was entirely nonplussed, though he did collect the extra card.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
I've read on here many times about immigration workers not taking the migration card so I've tried many times to leave without surrendering it. Every time and I mean every single time over the last 5+ years I've done this they just look at me with that "well...where's your card" look which I then produce and apologize. Maybe it's because I'm only at SVO or maybe I just have that look about me but I always seem to invite the "what kinda smart guy are you" look from them.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by woody125
I've read on here many times about immigration workers not taking the migration card so I've tried many times to leave without surrendering it. Every time and I mean every single time over the last 5+ years I've done this they just look at me with that "well...where's your card" look which I then produce and apologize. Maybe it's because I'm only at SVO or maybe I just have that look about me but I always seem to invite the "what kinda smart guy are you" look from them.
This is a very YMMV situation. The "look at me" guys and gals at some other airports are busy looking at VK and reading Afisha. Such is Russia.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Somehow my migration card suddenly appeared in my flat when I was cleaning...
Cheers
Howie
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Somehow my migration card suddenly appeared in my flat when I was cleaning...
Cheers
Howie
...and now you have a suvenir!
Old Jun 3, 2023, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
...and now you have a suvenir!
​​​​​​Plus a clean flat! I was searching for something else and came across this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.