Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impressions of the "new" Aeroflot?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2009, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold, SQ Gold, Jet Airways Gold, BA Silver, Qatar Silver, Starwood Lifetime Gold
Impressions of the "new" Aeroflot?

Have been hearing some positive things about Aeroflot lately, about how they have come a long way in recent years, with some colleagues in Europe even saying they prefer it to the Western Europe carriers when travelling to Moscow.

So that set me wondering... I may have a trop to Moscow in a couple of weeks. Have a choice of AA, UA, DL, or Aeroflot. I feel tempted to try Aeroflot once (never flown them). Any tips or inputs from those of you who have first hand experience?

Thanks,
Sankaps.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
If you are an elite frequent flyer with *A or oneworld I would stick to one of their carriers, fo rthe miles and potential benefits. If you just want to use SU for the experience, then go ahead. Not much experience with SU myself, but many peopel around me confirmed what you stated above.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 7:28 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
The answer depends on where you're flying from. If we're talking about TATL flights, I'd definitely go the SU way if you're flying in J. In Y, well, only if you can get on one of their A330s. If we're talking about short- or midhaul, then absolutely try them out, their A320 family birds are quite nice even in Y compared to the competition.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:27 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
If you in J, I would take SU over any of the aforementioned carriers. And of course, if you are collecting miles on SkyTeam, SU is a full member of SkyTeam and has been so for years.

In coach I would probably take whoever has better IFE in coach, as SU only has AVOD IFE in Y on their 330's. They have AVOD IFE in J on all flights over 3 hours on all aircraft (its either a personal DigiPlayer available for J passengers or integrated AVOID on 330's). Food on SU is better then UA, DL, AA choices in both Y and J.

I just made another award booking, and made sure most of my flights are on SU metal (with some AF as well). Go with SU.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold, SQ Gold, Jet Airways Gold, BA Silver, Qatar Silver, Starwood Lifetime Gold
Thanks, sounds promising. I'll be flying from JFK, so it'll be a 763. I will be in business class - do they have PC Power on their long-haul aircraft? And where do they fly their A330s to? I would have thought they would put it on the JFK route (or maybe it does not have the range)?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:32 pm
soy

Programs: various
Have not actually flown on it, but I believe the J product in the 763 is pretty good. It is the Ilyushin Il-96 that you want to avoid
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by Sankaps
And where do they fly their A330s to? I would have thought they would put it on the JFK route (or maybe it does not have the range)?
Of course it does. I may be absolutely lost with all of their constant reshuffling but I think for now they fly it to PVG and NRT and bleed off spare hours on some short hops like LHR and somewhere else. Note that they only have 2 or 3 330s at the moment, with 6 (or is it 9?) more to be delivered this year.

Last edited by apoivre; Apr 30, 2009 at 12:44 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 30, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Thanks, sounds promising. I'll be flying from JFK, so it'll be a 763. I will be in business class - do they have PC Power on their long-haul aircraft?
Yes, all SU J class seats on all 767, 330, 320 and 321 aircraft have AC ports in every seat. They also provide you with a DigiPlayer in Business if you are tired of your laptop

I don't know why, but I am particularly fascinated with their silky silver pillows in Business, just a very nice touch.
Old May 2, 2009, 6:32 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
No complaints from me

Other than the ongoing delays of getting SVO3 up and going...

I'm an SU fan having done LAX to SVO and back a couple of times this spring. It's been a 763 aircraft with a well worn but more than adequate front cabin both times.

The personal video player only seems to be given out on certain routes. I get it in J from FRA to SVO but not domestically from SVO to OVB even though that is the longer of the two flights.

J on any Airbus birds is really nice. I am continually impressed. Y is suitable and even better if you are on an exit row but no IFE makes it kinda hard on 4 hour or longer flights.

Though I worked to get Gold last year with SU Bonus I won't do it again this year. The bennies are just not there but I continue to fly SU more and more from the US to Moscow. From Moscow to OVB they are my only ST choice so that's a no brainer.

Try 'em out. You'll be pleasantly pleased I assure you.
Old May 2, 2009, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woody125
Though I worked to get Gold last year with SU Bonus I won't do it again this year. The bennies are just not there but I continue to fly SU more and more from the US to Moscow. From Moscow to OVB they are my only ST choice so that's a no brainer.

Try 'em out. You'll be pleasantly pleased I assure you.
I think I will try them out! I wish they had the A330 on the JFK route though... 6 abreast in business on a 767 and no AVOD seems so 1990s!

Intrigued by your comment of their FFP -- is it not up to the mark? Does it lag typical US programs (which tend to be very generous) or European programs (which tend to be somewhat more restrictive, higher taxes and fees for redemptions, etc)?
Old May 3, 2009, 5:10 am

I think I will try them out! I wish they had the A330 on the JFK route though... 6 abreast in business on a 767 and no AVOD seems so 1990s!

Intrigued by your comment of their FFP -- is it not up to the mark? Does it lag typical US programs (which tend to be very generous) or European programs (which tend to be somewhat more restrictive, higher taxes and fees for redemptions, etc)?
As a top tier elite with them I get 50% mileage bonus on all tickets, two Gold Bonus cards, two bag tags (that broke on the first trip), Sky Team Elite Plus status and one extra checked bag on all flights. The mileage bonus would matter more to me at 100% (Delta has spoiled me in this regard I guess). The extra bag is a nice feature but I don't check bags when I fly. I get STE+ from my Delta Plat status.

So for me it just really does not add up. I'm actually having trouble getting my proper miles to post to my Bonus account. I get the 50% bonus miles but the original miles have yet to post on any of the 6 legs I've flown this year. So, it's just not worth it for me. Once I get to 75k with DL I'll look at CSA or some other devalued ST program to bank miles into. Actually CSA will win because they now fly twice a week from PRG to OVB giving me another ST option out into Siberia.

ELITEGOLDTRAVELER in the Russia Forum kindly told me not to get my hopes up last year when I made the run at SU Gold. His counsel was indeed wise.

Last edited by woody125; May 3, 2009 at 5:11 am Reason: missing word
Old May 3, 2009, 1:07 pm

As a top tier elite with them I get 50% mileage bonus on all tickets, two Gold Bonus cards, two bag tags (that broke on the first trip), Sky Team Elite Plus status and one extra checked bag on all flights.
They have some attractive awards on their own metal out of Russia and lounge access on domestic itineraries (for their own Silvers and all ST lite+). But all in all I agree, the FFP is pretty mediocre
Old May 3, 2009, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by apoivre
They have some attractive awards on their own metal out of Russia and lounge access on domestic itineraries (for their own Silvers and all ST lite+). But all in all I agree, the FFP is pretty mediocre
That lounge access is a real blessing. I think though that is only works for Golds now. As of November 1 of last year they axed the Silver benefit I believe.

I don't see SU doing much in the way of innovating within the program. They've taken away a few benefits but to ever think of complimentary upgrades or 2x mileage bonuses seems galaxies away. If they would enhance just a little bit and keep the get to # for top tier at 50k BIS miles I'd likely make them my ST carrier of choice. I'm really liking their LAX to SVO route in J more and more.

I rambling so I'll be quiet now.
Old May 4, 2009, 8:25 am

That lounge access is a real blessing. I think though that is only works for Golds now. As of November 1 of last year they axed the Silver benefit I believe.
It's still there
http://eng.aeroflotbonus.ru/elit.aspx?ob_no=185201
Old May 4, 2009, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by apoivre
So it is. Thanks for clearing that up.

My question is now will SU afford me a soft landing from Gold to Silver next year even though I won't make 25k BIS miles. That'll be my next test for them I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.