Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Can I still use my Aeroflot miles outside Aeroflot given the war?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club

I have 41k Aeroflot miles which I haven't got a chance to burn it yet (the only use for me is to Amsterdam but it's unlikely I will go there soon). Will I still be able to use my miles if Aeroflot is cut off from the GDS?

Also, I'll move to the catchment area of Gatwick Airport later this year, what good value SkyTeam flights are available there for me to use my miles?
Old Mar 8, 2022, 3:17 pm

How would you pay your taxes and fees? Russia was cut off from the Visa, Mastercard and American Express networks.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:23 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by miklcct
I have 41k Aeroflot miles which I haven't got a chance to burn it yet (the only use for me is to Amsterdam but it's unlikely I will go there soon). Will I still be able to use my miles if Aeroflot is cut off from the GDS?
Regardless of sabre or not , you will need to pay taxes and other fees with money , and unless you have a bank account in russia and a MIR debit card , you wont be able to use these miles

For domestic flights it probably wont be a full armaggedon for SU , as they have a local GDS for domestic operations

Also, I'll move to the catchment area of Gatwick Airport later this year, what good value SkyTeam flights are available there for me to use my miles?
if you still have status with SU , you'd better asking for status match elsewhere now , or restart from zero with UX or KL

Last edited by fifty_two; Mar 10, 2022 at 3:11 am
Old Mar 9, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Only one Skyteam airline serves LGW: Air Europa, from Madrid.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
SU miles are not entirely worthless - while Sabre does not sell SU inventory on ther GDS - Sabre still very much rovides access to their PSS. ( in some ways this a much more lucrative contract for sabre) Internally - Russia has a GDS called Sirena - and a PSS module that they can fall back to . Sirena has back channels.

You might have luck if you have access to Unionpay which very much works inside and outside of Russia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.