Wiki Posts
Search

Outrageous fare to do a Stop Over

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Outrageous fare to do a Stop Over

Was thinking about doing a stop over on 1 of my trips, when I did a Multi-city it was 3X the fare of simply connecting. Most times if you want to do a stop over in that carriers home hub its not 3x the price.

Was never in Moscow and I thought I would fly out 2 days earlier in order to see Moscow, now the heck with it, its bad enough having to pay for the Visa(US cit) but to pay 3x for the tkt, no way
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
Aeroflot calculates prices by route, fare type and bucket.
I’ve just done a stop over on a trip from HKG via SVO to AGP in flex fare bucket A. No extra cost at all were applicable.
If your fare type (e.g. promo) only allows a stopover for a fee, or if the bucket isn’t available on your new flight date, then the price will be higher. Same for most airlines I fly with (CX, IB, MU).
Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hessbo
Aeroflot calculates prices by route, fare type and bucket.
I’ve just done a stop over on a trip from HKG via SVO to AGP in flex fare bucket A. No extra cost at all were applicable.
If your fare type (e.g. promo) only allows a stopover for a fee, or if the bucket isn’t available on your new flight date, then the price will be higher. Same for most airlines I fly with (CX, IB, MU).

I was looking for June 2020, and was looking for Comfort Non-flex if that matters, and the flights I wanted have 0 seats taken thus far. It was $1200+ connecting and stopping over > $3000 for a 2 day stopover.

I think I could fly in and out within 24 hrs but I wanted to spend 2 days in the city and will simply now connect onward
Old Dec 25, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
Comfort classic allows stopovers up to 72 hours without a fee.
Check online if you find availability for the same fare bucket for your flights (Comfort fare buckets are A, S, W. A is the cheapest, S is usually around 150$ more expensive on my routes, W is the most expensive and usually over 1000$ more expensive on my routes; on airplanes which don’t offer Comfort class, the equivalent fare buckets in economy are A > M, S > B, W > Y).
Aeroflot website isn’t great at understanding stop over rules during booking. Call Aeroflot office in Moscow (number is in the footer of their website) to book. They have English speaking agents.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hessbo
Comfort classic allows stopovers up to 72 hours without a fee.
Check online if you find availability for the same fare bucket for your flights (Comfort fare buckets are A, S, W. A is the cheapest, S is usually around 150$ more expensive on my routes, W is the most expensive and usually over 1000$ more expensive on my routes; on airplanes which don’t offer Comfort class, the equivalent fare buckets in economy are A > M, S > B, W > Y).
Aeroflot website isn’t great at understanding stop over rules during booking. Call Aeroflot office in Moscow (number is in the footer of their website) to book. They have English speaking agents.

thx, but I need Aeroflot to have it w/o calling up and forcing it or having them put it together. I pay using my Chase pts = Expedia, so if Aeroflot doesnt have something as a published fare thats bookable on their site Expedia wont have it either, thusly cant use my UR Pts to pay for it. And Chase now with Expedia wont try to book anything that doesnt show up on Chases Expedia list . I used to bebale to call up and spoon feed them the flights I wanted and get it tkted, I also used to be able to combine carriers eg AA NY-LHR and AF CDG-NY , Expedia doesnt allow for multi-carriers unless its a code-share flight so in my ex if CDG-NY on AF was also an AA codeshare flight then it would be bookable

But I will check every so often to see if a 48 hr stop over opens up w/o being ripped off
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Finally someone finds this a problem... Indeed SU website will not price stopovers using a through classic/ flex fare (with some rare exceptions). You need to call to book it. Pathetic for a country that needs stopover tourists.
Or you may also manually modify the flight dates/ numbers in a search line and paste it to a new window - this will do the trick (this will be the screen after you select your last flight). You should using 2 segments in this case (=RT), for example, NYC-HEL and HEL-NYC. Adding segment 3 will ruin everything (SU will offer ridiculous fares in classes B, W, D and above which are not even flex as there is always a cheaper classic option for all booking classes...).

Feel free to PM me if you still need help.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by Keter
Pathetic for a country that needs stopover tourists.
Thanks - great to know, but I don't think Russia cares about tourism at all (from what I know travel and tourism share in GDP is less than 5% and most of it is from local travel). That's why silly visa restrictions and very few international flights to cities other than Moscow.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keter
Finally someone finds this a problem... Indeed SU website will not price stopovers using a through classic/ flex fare (with some rare exceptions). You need to call to book it. Pathetic for a country that needs stopover tourists.
Or you may also manually modify the flight dates/ numbers in a search line and paste it to a new window - this will do the trick (this will be the screen after you select your last flight). You should using 2 segments in this case (=RT), for example, NYC-HEL and HEL-NYC. Adding segment 3 will ruin everything (SU will offer ridiculous fares in classes B, W, D and above which are not even flex as there is always a cheaper classic option for all booking classes...).

Feel free to PM me if you still need help.
Thx, but I wanted to use my stash of Chase pts to get the tkt. Chase uses Expedia = I cant even call SU to have them do it

I will try doing your suggestion when I get back home and prefer to use a PC and dont want to log onto my Chase acct from a public WiFi if I can at all help it. Since the trip will be in June Im not pressured to have to use public WiFi
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Thx, but I wanted to use my stash of Chase pts to get the tkt. Chase uses Expedia = I cant even call SU to have them do it

I will try doing your suggestion when I get back home and prefer to use a PC and dont want to log onto my Chase acct from a public WiFi if I can at all help it. Since the trip will be in June Im not pressured to have to use public WiFi
Booking an SU fare with stopovers via Expedia/ Orbitz or another agent is normally not an issue. Just beware that if your stopovers are less than 3 days the system will only offer you a 'classic' choice (which is changeable and refundable with a fee). Fare options are only available for one ways or round trips (and yes fare optionss for SU are even available on Expedia). A workaround is to book a stopover of more than 3 days and change later.

Could the issue be something else then?
'
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:56 pm

Beware that booking via an agent will raise your cost by

1) USD 10 per fare component if your trip originates in Russia and is sold not in Russia or China
2) outrageous USD 100 for trips from China and sold outside China
3) EUR 20 for one way trips from Europe to China if sold not in China/ Russia

https://www.aeroflot.ru/xx-en/inform...redLanguage=en
Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by luitje
Thanks - great to know, but I don't think Russia cares about tourism at all (from what I know travel and tourism share in GDP is less than 5% and most of it is from local travel). That's why silly visa restrictions and very few international flights to cities other than Moscow.
Our power holding people are not interested in developing small businesses as its difficult to manage (ie control) those, this is where it comes from. The economy would be happy to get any extra sources of income to develop.
Temedar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.