Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aeroflot - missed connection on a through ticket, forced to pay re-booking fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroflot - missed connection on a through ticket, forced to pay re-booking fee

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by warakorn
but OP didn't a miss leg (or no-showed)! The connection-time was insufficient. This is Aeroflot and Russia.
What do you think will happen if you refuse to pay the rebooking fee? As most travellers need a visa to enter Russia, this problem becomes the problem of the Russian border guards (border service FSB). And I do not think they will like this kind of game Aeroflot playing with their passengers.
OP was flying LHR-SVO-UFA and apparently cleared immigration upon arrival in Moscow, so by the time of that missed connection he/she already crossed the border. But even if that wasn't the case, I don't think plainly refusing to pay would have solved anything. Passenger would get stuck at the international zone of the airport and will most likely be returned to the point of his/her departure. Yes that will be done at the airline's expense but will also likely result in an indefinite ban to travel to Russia on grounds of a history of a deportation/forced removal.
I believe avoiding SU and spreading the news of this airline selling impossible connections, and then extorting money to pay for a new ticket is probably the only solution. OP may try to take the small claims court route and it will probably rule in his/her favour, but I am not sure how likely it is to get SU pay especially if you happen to live in a country where they don't have an office.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:48 pm

So for what it's worth, we've had a lot of discussions on MCT in here so I pulled the SVO chart from EF. Note to OP you have referred to connection times as being terminal to terminal and a few other things. MCTs are always calculated as stated landing time to stated takeoff time.

It would appear that unless OP was on one of the specifically called out flights, then the connection satisfied MCT. Now having flown through SVO a few times, I'd argue that MCT is nowhere near sensible connection time (SCT). Unfortunately this one is a tricky one - it's not as straightforward as plane landed late so couldn't make a connection. SU will argue they had nothing to do with the time taken to clear the border and given the timing was within MCT, they aren't at fault. I don't think that is fair or right, but that will be their argument and they aren't particularly helpful.

OP - Good luck, I hope you do get this refunded as this was through no fault of your own. I guess the moral of this story is always give yourself plenty of time at SVO. I hope the SVO MCTs get revised as some are extremely tight.

Spoiler

Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fifty_two
good initiative

1H30 mins is definitely too low ,

At least two hours are needed (international to domestic), without delays or weather issues

If possible , i would say you should have your final connection in another airport than SVO and if possible not in russia

the problem is that aeroflot is more or less a kind of monopoly in russia on some domestic routes , if you fly from another country and want to buy everything under the same booking (or without changing airports in moscow) and they are not ashamed of charging huge prices when you compare with flights to other international cities close to russian borders
You seem to be talking about sensible connecting time. MCT is essentailly a legal threshold set by the airline. If OP's scheduled connecting time did not violate MCT, that's all that matters.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:14 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You seem to be talking about sensible connecting time. MCT is essentailly a legal threshold set by the airline. If OP's scheduled connecting time did not violate MCT, that's all that matters.
In a normal market with a good legislation where all rules will be clearly enforced yes , however this is russia ! Better "wasting" few hours rather than all the troubles and money that people spent because of chaotic management of combined aeroflot and SVO operations
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by luitje
I read this as "avoid at all costs". I have an open jaw flight with them, but reading through some of the anecdotes of SU putting their customers through the hell, making them pay for issues in Aeroflot's hub, I am contemplating getting a refund and booking a longer flight with a carrier which is a tad more friendly to their customers.
Aeroflot via SVO is usually the most direct route and sometimes the only available carrier from Asia to most of the major destinations in Eastern Europe, like TLL, RIX, VNO or KGD, and it usually offer the cheapest prices with well-timed connection than all the other competitors giving the shortest total time, with better in-flight service than Finnair as well. Therefore it is always my first choice and last year I flew it enough to get SkyTeam elite on that.

Starting from 2018, I have done the following connections on Aeroflot:
CAN-SVO-HEL-SVO-HKG with 120 and 205 minutes
CAN-SVO-KGD // RIX - SVO - CAN with 130 and 250 minutes
HKG-SVO-PRG-SVO-HKG with 165 and 165 minutes
HKG-SVO-GVA with 75 minutes

In the most recent trip HKG-SVO-GVA the incoming flight was delayed by 25 minutes leaving only 50 minutes for the connection, I got on the flight by my luggage didn't.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Giraffe20
MCT was 1hr35. And Aeroflot strictly closes their gates 20 minutes early, which means we needed 1hr55)
Official MCT already includes such factors as "doors close 20 minutes prior to departure."

MCT is basically controlled by the airlines. Even if posted by the airport, the airline can still tweak it. If they are comfortable eating the cost of rebooking passengers due to misconnects, then they can lower MCT. If not, they can raise it.

Some MCT variances are listed due to specific inbound or connecting flight #s . Maybe an airline knows a widebody will always get a gate isntead of a remote stand and a bus transfer to the terminal. Or a widebody flight # might always get a gate closer to immigration. Or arrive at a time of day where immigration or the airline itself is better staffed.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by miklcct
Aeroflot via SVO is usually the most direct route and sometimes the only available carrier from Asia to most of the major destinations in Eastern Europe, like TLL, RIX, VNO or KGD, and it usually offer the cheapest prices with well-timed connection than all the other competitors giving the shortest total time, with better in-flight service than Finnair as well.
Fortunately I never had a missing connection delay with SU and was pleased with their soft product in the air. What comes to geography and major destinations TLL,RIX and VNO are part of Northern Europe, not Eastern Europe.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: Miles&More Silver, Skyteam Gold
I have two open booking with SU, both connecting through SVO:

SU2175 OSL1305 - 1755SVO
SU2392 SVO1930 - 2105ZRH

SU2391 ZRH1325 - 1800SVO
SU262 SVO1900 - 1030+1NRT

Of course, both journeys are booked on a single ticket. However, as the second one might be tricky, I'm asking myself whether SU would also offer to rebook PAX of missed connections through other airports such as BKK or HKG. Or will a missed connection inevitabely lead to an involuntary 24h stay at the infamous Novotel next to the airport?
Regards
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
Data point from early 2017: no rerouting allowed (missed connection due to a medical emergency on the incoming aircraft; free rebooking and 8 hours of bed time provided by SU). I'm not sure however, if the alternate routes had any seats available.

1 hour is certainly tough. I have made it in the past but only because I know where to go at SVO. Jump the lines at passport and security check, then walk fast.
RJ1H likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: Miles&More Silver, Skyteam Gold
Originally Posted by hessbo
Data point from early 2017: no rerouting allowed (missed connection due to a medical emergency on the incoming aircraft; free rebooking and 8 hours of bed time provided by SU). I'm not sure however, if the alternate routes had any seats available.

1 hour is certainly tough. I have made it in the past but only because I know where to go at SVO. Jump the lines at passport and security check, then walk fast.
Ok, thanks! I'm aware of the terminal situation in SVO and I know where I have to go. Booked myself onto the frontmost possible seats and will rush to (and hopefully through) the checkpoints
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:48 pm
Suspended

WoW is al I can say from reading this thread, wish I knew about this months ago before I booked my flights

That said I have 2H 15M layover from what Ive read that should be good enough to make my connection (Intl-Intl) as long as we arrive pretty much on time.

Ive had the pleasure (Not) of connecting @ MAD where you get to stand around the central part of the Term until they finally post the gate info apx an hour or so before flight time. How does it work @ SVO? Does SU provide onward gate info before landing as some US Carriers do? Its a 777 to another 777

Misconnecting would mean I will have to wait a min of 36 hrs till Ican fly out and w/o a Visa no entrance into the Country, something I wont be looking forward to

Also in PE so at least not at the very back of the plane, SU in PE was < 1/2 what everyone else was in reg Y
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: AR, LA, A3, UT, 6R, U6, PS, SU, and many more
I've transited only once in SVO (flight was SVX-SVO (SU) SVO-BEG (JU). I had 2 hours, and lot of time to kill. Different bookings, different terminals.
But living in Moscow, I use SVO often. I'm aware of extreme inefficiency in SVO. I prefer DME, but specially VKO, amazing airport, fast, friendly, and so close from home.
I believe SU is so strict because, the bloody Leningradskoye Shosse (the route that goes from Moscow to St. Petersburg and SVO airport) is so crowded that getting to the airport on time is almost imposible. At certain points of the day, train is the only viable option (but extremely overpriced). In October a new express bus service started from Khovrino metro, to Terminal B, taking only 19 minutes, for 150rub (2EUR). Amazing option. BUT I've never had a flight from or to Terminal B, so I had to take the transfer train to Terminal D, and it was already a waste of time.

Anyway, whenever you are late for your flight, and you go to the Ticket Office, be prepared to suffer.
A few days ago, I lost my connection in IST. I went to TK ticket office (my flight was AMS-IST-VKO) and in the queue, was a person with a wife and crying baby that had lost his flight to RUH, he had to spend 12 hours in the airport and pay a 240EUR fee. He didn't want to. He complained over 20 minutes till he paid. 240EUR means, approx, 80 per person.
When it was my turn, the guy told me: next flight to Moscow is in 3 hours. You need to pay, and he wrote on a paper 7680. I thought 76,80EUR, ok, is reasonable. But no, he wanted 768,00EUR. The rt ticket had costed less than 200EUR (only decent airline that allows to carry luggage and I took massive amounts of Vodka, Caviar and Honey, that are bought three times cheaper and better in the local market than in the stupid duty free).
So, I took my risk. And asked him: (because the connection was VERY tight). How can I get my luggage? - Are you not going to fly to Moscow? - For 768 Eur I promise I wont.
So went to migration (many questions asked, so I had to go with a representative of TK, they photocopied my BP and Passport, the bag tag... wasted about 30 minutes. Then claim my bag, go to customs, open it (empty, as all gifts were left in NL) and leave to Istanbul. According to Runstatistic I had walked already 5km. The airport is MASSIVE.
So, also, there is 1 hour of complimentary wifi. Using that wifi (plus more because I logged using other peoples cells that forwarded me their log in code via SMS), I got a new ticket (IST-MOW) that same day for 130EUR with luggage included. A new airline, a new airport to connect at, and amazing 18 hours to visit Istanbul, a city I started liking more this (5th) trip, because before I had never left the touristic places.

The point is: NEVER trust those at the transfer desk. I believe their salary comes from how much they charge you. The guy will never tell you: yes, if you fly now to UFA you need to pay 400GBP, but if you fly in 2 hours, then is only 50GBP or free. He wants you to pay as much as you can.

Recently, people I know was flying from Turkmenistan to Ecuador (VERY weird routing, ASB-DME T5, SVO-AMS-GYE KL). The connecting time between DME and SVO (we met in DME and did the trip together) I calculated in 8 hours!!!. One hour to leave DME, 1h20 to conmute (Monday 1am), and we had many hours to kill. We dropped the bags at the KL counter and asked our driver to take us for a sightseeing trip in Moscow. 3 hours between going, photos and returning, We arrived to SVO with still 1h30 to go to customs and all. It was a funny evening.

Cheers
Eielef @mow
camsean likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:10 am

Update

Hi Giraffe20. It would be great to get an update on how your claim is going.

We have just had the exact same experience and completely agree with all of your points. It certainly seems like a racket and they know exactly what they are doing.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by Eurocity
Since autumn 2018 there is a steady stream of complains about Aeroflot denying free rebookings on next flights after missed connections due to Sheremetyevo issues.
This is unfortunately true and refers to passengers with through tickets. In some cases SU is saying 'sorry we are not responsible for airport services'...wait, is your home airport? This is a joke and people shall fight this approach.
hessbo likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
So, have I understood correctly? If you are on SU and miss your connection at SVO through no fault of your own, maybe a delayed inbound, they won't rebook you for free on the next connection?? Are they actually allowed to do this, for tickets sold in Europe with an origin in Europe?

Until now, I always thought SU were ok as an airline, even quite pleasant onboard. I always had enough time between flights. But I will never fly long haul with them, not after my flight to BKK in October. That door is now closed, but no problem for European or domestic Russian.

I think S7 is the winning airline in Russia (and I would like to see Ural Airlines and Utair become more mainstream).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.