Wiki Posts
Search

Short check bags on S7?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Short check bags on S7?

I've got a flight next week EVN-DME with a follow up leg the next morning. Can S7 short check a bag to just DME for the overnight? Most airlines don't have problems with this, but I know QR for example does not allow it.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I've got a flight next week EVN-DME with a follow up leg the next morning. Can S7 short check a bag to just DME for the overnight? Most airlines don't have problems with this, but I know QR for example does not allow it.
Yeah sure. Also note that you check in (and check your bags in) at DME 32 hours prior to the flights (counters open 24/7), so if you want to arrive from EVN, take out some stuff you will need for the night and check the bag in again,as not to take it to Moscow that's possible too.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Great, thanks. I'll report back in a few days on the outcome.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:41 pm

Great, thanks. I'll report back in a few days on the outcome.
No problem!

Actually, if we are talking about International-Domestic transit, they will not check thru because of the Russian law, which states that the pax has to walk thru arrivals customs with all of their belongings, including checked baggage (similar to the US). Even if they checked in thru (ie: the baggage tag has your final destination on it), you still have to pick up the bag and then drop it off at the counter.

There are some relaxations to this policy, but they are only applicable when inbound from specific countries and to specific airports in Russia. Not sure if your case is included here.

For international-international and domestic-international (but not vv, see above) and domestic-domestic they can check thru.

I do the LED-DME-Abroad and VV all the time and never had a problem with getting the LED agents to check the bag to DME only. I am not sure why QR refuses to do it, but I see why BA refuses to do it, because in BA's case some people can purchase the so-called ex-EU fares, which are much cheaper than ex UK fares and just abandon the last leg (UK-EU).No such price incentives on S7.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
No problem!

Actually, if we are talking about International-Domestic transit, they will not check thru because of the Russian law, which states that the pax has to walk thru arrivals customs with all of their belongings, including checked baggage (similar to the US). Even if they checked in thru (ie: the baggage tag has your final destination on it), you still have to pick up the bag and then drop it off at the counter.

There are some relaxations to this policy, but they are only applicable when inbound from specific countries and to specific airports in Russia. Not sure if your case is included here.

For international-international and domestic-international (but not vv, see above) and domestic-domestic they can check thru.

I do the LED-DME-Abroad and VV all the time and never had a problem with getting the LED agents to check the bag to DME only. I am not sure why QR refuses to do it, but I see why BA refuses to do it, because in BA's case some people can purchase the so-called ex-EU fares, which are much cheaper than ex UK fares and just abandon the last leg (UK-EU).No such price incentives on S7.
This is true but is airport dependent.

I fly SU all the time, JFK-SVO-LED, bags get checked all the way to LED, I don't have to pick them up at SVO. I do have to go through a convoluted rescreening process, after going though passport control at SVO. Down the escalator and up the escalator again....

LED is an exception. I would imagine OVB ( and maybe AER is also, perhaps VVO?) airports with a routinely staffed customs inspector / channel. Usually its a guy sitting next to an X-ray machine sizing up people coming by....
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by OpenSky
This is true but is airport dependent.

I fly SU all the time, JFK-SVO-LED, bags get checked all the way to LED, I don't have to pick them up at SVO. I do have to go through a convoluted rescreening process, after going though passport control at SVO. Down the escalator and up the escalator again....

LED is an exception. I would imagine OVB ( and maybe AER is also, perhaps VVO?) airports with a routinely staffed customs inspector / channel. Usually its a guy sitting next to an X-ray machine sizing up people coming by....
Yeah, customs are increasingly moving behind the scenes these days. I guess if they saw that you had excessive quantities of alcohol/tobacco/jewellery e.t.c. they would intercept you at the gate.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Just an update, I was able to do online check-in for only my first leg to DME. When I got to the airport they then only issued a paper BP for that leg and tagged my bag to DME only.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:49 am

Just an update, I was able to do online check-in for only my first leg to DME. When I got to the airport they then only issued a paper BP for that leg and tagged my bag to DME only.
That's strange. Do you mind sharing the route and connection time?
Old May 5, 2017, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
That's strange. Do you mind sharing the route and connection time?
EVN-DME-OGZ-DME, all on one strange ticket. Connection time of about 16 hours for the first leg, then two days in between the last two legs. I did online check-in and it gave me the option to choose which legs I was checking in for. I chose the first one only. Showed up to EVN and when I dropped off my bag and printed a normal paper BP (I only had online one) they gave me the one to DME, and when the bag tag printed it only said DME.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:26 am

EVN-DME-OGZ-DME, all on one strange ticket. Connection time of about 16 hours for the first leg, then two days in between the last two legs. I did online check-in and it gave me the option to choose which legs I was checking in for. I chose the first one only. Showed up to EVN and when I dropped off my bag and printed a normal paper BP (I only had online one) they gave me the one to DME, and when the bag tag printed it only said DME.
Why did you only select the first leg at OLCI? Low BN and early check in would give you a much higher chance for an op up (as an OWS) and good seat selection. It has no bearing on baggage: you can get both BPs but only check your bags for the fist flight or check your bags to the final destination, but only get the BP for the first flight. That said, at the end, I guess you got what you essentially wanted: to be reunited with your bags at DME.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Yep, that was the priority so I focused on that. I got exit rows on the other flights anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.