Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring through DME

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oldfolky
Not about russian Airlines so mods please move if appropriate.

I’m flying through DME next month transferring from BA-JL (good J fare MEL-NRT-DME-LHR and return). For a through checked flight and holding an onward boarding pass, do I need to clear immigration?

the JL and Domodedovo websites are far from clear.

Thanks.
No immigrantion at DME.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I was wondering about DME, are domestic departures on the same airline (S7) separate from international departures? I was wondering if I could invite a fellow traveller on a domestic itinerary to one of the Priority Pass lounges, but I suppose that will be impossible if I am flying internationally (S7 to DUS).
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by Concerto
I was wondering about DME, are domestic departures on the same airline (S7) separate from international departures? I was wondering if I could invite a fellow traveller on a domestic itinerary to one of the Priority Pass lounges, but I suppose that will be impossible if I am flying internationally (S7 to DUS).
Yes, domestic and international departures are completely isolated from each other by, you guessed it, immigrations and customs. You won't be allowed into domestic wing with an international BP and vice versa.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by luitje
Yes, domestic and international departures are completely isolated from each other by, you guessed it, immigrations and customs. You won't be allowed into domestic wing with an international BP and vice versa.
Well, that's no longer the case. The security checkpoints for INTL and DOM flights have been merged. This means that everyone clears security in the same area irrespective of their destination. If you are flying abroad, you then turn left to clear customs and immigration and if you fly domestic, you turn right and clear.... nothing.

One can, therefore, spend some time in the domestic departures area before clearing customs & immigration and proceeding to the international airside area.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:08 pm

Dupe.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:09 pm

OPs question was whether there was a lounge shared between international and domestic, and I am afraid the answer is no.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:36 pm

OPs question was whether there was a lounge shared between international and domestic, and I am afraid the answer is no.
I read the OP's question as "[I am flying on an internationalitineraryy], can I invite a fellow traveller on a domestic itinerary to one of the Priority Pass lounges".

The OP can, in theory, go to the domestic airside area (there is no one to stop him from doing that), enter the lounge and then go to the international area when he is done.

What I can't guarantee is whether the lounge staff will allow the OP into the domestic lounge with an international BP. I guess it should not be an issue if he explains that he wants to spend some time with a friend who is flying on a domestic.... and if one of them refuses, there are 3 other lounges that the OP can try (DME Airport authority lounge, S7 Business Class lounge, S7 Comfort (pay in) lounge and the UTG lounge).
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
I read the OP's question as "[I am flying on an internationalitineraryy], can I invite a fellow traveller on a domestic itinerary to one of the Priority Pass lounges".

The OP can, in theory, go to the domestic airside area (there is no one to stop him from doing that), enter the lounge and then go to the international area when he is done.

What I can't guarantee is whether the lounge staff will allow the OP into the domestic lounge with an international BP. I guess it should not be an issue if he explains that he wants to spend some time with a friend who is flying on a domestic.... and if one of them refuses, there are 3 other lounges that the OP can try (DME Airport authority lounge, S7 Business Class lounge, S7 Comfort (pay in) lounge and the UTG lounge).
He won't be allowed through the security to go domestic airside.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:06 am

He won't be allowed through the security to go domestic airside.
He will be. Please re-read #34 .
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:13 pm

He will be. Please re-read #34 .
Sorry, my bad. You are right - that sounds like a plausible solution in this new layout with security control shared between international and domestic departures. I have not been to domestic area for quite a while, can pax now return to the security check area once through to the domestic airside?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
Hi - after some reassurance from anyone with recent experience: I am planning on travelling from LHR via DME to OSS (Osh, Kyrgyzstan) on S7. The first leg will be S7 4000 on BA metal (codeshare with BA233); long layover until the S7967 flight to OSS (on Globus). Obviously I want to avoid having to get a Russian transit visa, and the DME website advises that if I am checked in for both flights with boarding pass for the second one it's a seamless transfer without immigration. This certainly seems to be the case from earlier posts in this thread, but some are quite old and I'm wondering if this is currently the case (probably travelling in January).
Can someone with recent experience confirm that when I check in at a BA desk in LHR they will be able to issue the boarding pass for the second S7 flight which will be on the same ticket? Or, if not, is it possible (having checked in on line) to pick up the second BP in DME transit area?
Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Travelling Inspector
Hi - after some reassurance from anyone with recent experience: I am planning on travelling from LHR via DME to OSS (Osh, Kyrgyzstan) on S7. The first leg will be S7 4000 on BA metal (codeshare with BA233); long layover until the S7967 flight to OSS (on Globus). Obviously I want to avoid having to get a Russian transit visa, and the DME website advises that if I am checked in for both flights with boarding pass for the second one it's a seamless transfer without immigration. This certainly seems to be the case from earlier posts in this thread, but some are quite old and I'm wondering if this is currently the case (probably travelling in January).
Can someone with recent experience confirm that when I check in at a BA desk in LHR they will be able to issue the boarding pass for the second S7 flight which will be on the same ticket? Or, if not, is it possible (having checked in on line) to pick up the second BP in DME transit area?
Thanks
In my experience, BA never managed to print an onward BP when I was ticketed on the S7 stock (421). Obtaining a BP from the transit desk @dme won't be a problem at all though.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Travelling Inspector
Thanks
Hi there,

I'll be doing a similar routing, but from TXL. Please let us know how it went!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Well, that's no longer the case. The security checkpoints for INTL and DOM flights have been merged. This means that everyone clears security in the same area irrespective of their destination. If you are flying abroad, you then turn left to clear customs and immigration and if you fly domestic, you turn right and clear.... nothing.

One can, therefore, spend some time in the domestic departures area before clearing customs & immigration and proceeding to the international airside area.
Visiting the lounge in the domestic terminal worked perfectly. I think the layout of DME is great and prefer it to SVO. The only thing I would say is, normally it would be better to get through emigration and into the gate area if you're flying internationally. It doesn't take much to go wrong at emigration and for you to get held up and miss your flight. In my case, it got quite marginal.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
I transferred internationally through DME a couple of times last week (out and back) on S7 tickets. There is very little integration between S7 and the BA flights it uses from London, which have S7 codeshare numbers but have to be managed (seat choice and check-in) through BA.com with the separate BA PNR. You can check in and select a seat on the S7 website using their PNR but they do not issue a BP. BA at T5 were able to check my luggage through to my final destination (OSS - Osh, Kyrgyzstan) but could not produce the boarding pass for the second flight on S7 (Globus) metal.
It was very straightforward obtaining this at DME - follow the yellow 'Transfer/Transit' signs up the escalator, parallel to those heading for immigration, but at the top of the escalator there is a clearly marked S7 Transfer desk where you obtain the onward boarding pass (they will need to see your checked luggage receipt). This takes them some time but there are seats nearby and they will call you when they are ready. They will also issue an invitation to the S7 International Business Lounge if entitled, though this is not strictly necessary and I didn't need on on the return journey, just showing my card.
Once in possession of the BP they direct you through a small 'Nothing to Declare' door to the left of the (unused) passport booths where there is a desultory security check and a thorough look at your passport (UV, magnifying glass, the lot). Once past this you emerge into the airside international Departures area - turn left for the lounges. You cannot buy duty-free goods to take to Osh as apparently they have no suitable customs facilities there.
It was a similar experience on the return (and comparatively relaxing after the horrors of leaving Osh, though there was no problem checking my bag all the way through to LHR) except that printing the BP for the BA flight was a real challenge and they issued a temporary hand-written BP. The real thing was eventually delivered to me as promised at the gate several hours later.
There was never any hint that a Russian visa, either entry of transit, was required,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.