Wiki Posts
Search

Is UberOne Worth Keeping?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2023, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Is UberOne Worth Keeping?

Anyone here have UberOne? I'm on an extended free trial since they eliminated the rewards program, and it's expiring at the end of this month. I'm on the fence as to whether it's worth comtinuing to pay for.

I've found that it has been pretty useful for ordering Uber Eats, but as far as rides go, I'm not sure how they're offerring my rides to drivers. One of the perks is "highly rated drivers" and it's been hit or miss for me. I've been matched with some pretty low rated drivers, and I've also had experiences where the app tells me I can get a ride in 4 minutes, but it will give me a driver 8 minutes away (is it because that driver is highly rated?).

I have noticed that Uber is slightly more honest now that I have Uber One. When taking rides to the airport, if the driver avoids tolls, they automatically remove them from my final fare. If I report a driver for cancellation fee scamming, they respond positively and compensate appropriately as well.

Also, as an Uber Eats user, they've been very liberal about giving me three 40% off delivery coupon every week which at minimum covers all of the fees, but often if I order from a place close by (very useful when I'm at work and can't leave the office) it gives a real discount on the total order as well.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
My wife is on the same trial with same expiration date. Learning towards keeping it with the $99 annual cost.

We are saving on average $4 per Uber Eats order. We will use Uber Eats at least 1x per month for the monthly Amex Platinum benefit = minimum $48 of value from Uber One membership. Then we have saved about $4 per trip to/from LAX on Uber rides for trips -- will at least use that 6x per year - another $24. So already 73% to breakeven. In reality we used Uber Eats more than 1x month during the trial because (a) of the promos and (b) my wife finds it easier to use Uber Eats which is tied to her phone vs. logging in as me for to use Doordash/Dashpass (included with my CSR). We saved $79 during the trial period from Uber One membership benefits.

Assuming similar usage to the trial period would be 3 orders per month and 10 Uber rides per year -- which would give an annual benefit of approximately $180 -- net $81 benefit of membership with potential additional upside. Hence learning towards trying it for a year.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 12:17 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
My three-month trial ends soon and I think I'll cancel. Sometimes I don't reach the minimum purchase and I usually get decent drivers anyhow. I'm not even sure why they offered me the free trial, because I had tried it for a few months in the past. It's supposed to be for first-timers.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 12:28 am
Original Poster

I tried to cancel today. I had an Uber Eats order arrive very late and the food was cold and soggy. I still ate it (it was borderline acceptable), but I was slightly unhappy that they didn't give me the $5 credit which is an UberOne benefit for late orders.

I went through the menus, and got a chat agent, who had no clue about Uber One benefits, and lied about being unable to help me through chat, and needed to transfer me to an email based agent, just to end the chat. After this, I went to go end my Uber One membership, and they offered me 90% off my next month to give them another chance. Fine.

I started another chat, and got yet another clueless agent who didn't understand the issue, but refunded me the entire order and gave me $15 in Uber Cash, so now I am beyond made whole.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Ever since the pandemic started, I have had UberOne since then.

I tend use their package delivery & Uber Eats a lot so it pays for itself with above average delivery times & priority handling.

With just 2 days into the month, I have saved half my monthly fee which means I always get more value.

For me it's worth it if you use their services.

This month will be exceptional as we are travelling internationally and using Uber rides to / from airport as well as international destinations.

Old May 4, 2023, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I honestly get better coupons and offers since I no longer have this. The 'savings' aren't what they look like in my opinion. Being a free agent has also saved me a lot of money. For $100 a year? IMO not worth it since they stopped their rewards program
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 6, 2023, 10:54 am

Ah, it seems like a wash for me? For me, there are enough promos (20% - 30% discount) for airport rides where it makes up for the monthly fee. However, if those were to go away, then I'd probably cancel it.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I am a UberOne member. I was disappointed that after many weeks of 3x 40% off UberEats offers (only exception I can recall was for the week of Memorial Day), yesterday I received only 3x 20% off. Anyone have other datapoints?

Last edited by ikwia; Jun 20, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Old Jun 21, 2023, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

I was receiving the 40% off offers weekly until one week when I didn't use up all three of them. Memorial Day week I didn't get any at all. Week after that I got three of the 20% off. Used one. Got three of the 40% off the next week. And the week after that (this week) three 20% again.

They're definitely being stingy. My brother has a corporate card linked to his account and he stopped getting the Uber Eats offers altogether a few weeks ago. He's going to end his Uber One membership at the end of the month because of it.
ikwia and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 12:02 am
Original Poster

To answer my initial question: No. Hell no. Uber One is trash.

This month, they switched me from a 5% Uber One discount on rides to a 6% rebate of uber cash on rides. Well, I noticed that at least two rides didn't credit any sort of uber cash. The idiots at their outsourced customer service couldn't grasp the issue.

I just ended my membership. Uber One, whether by incompetence or malice, is a scam.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 12:05 am

Programs: BA, QF, DL, A3, IHG
C1 SavorOne has free UberOne through a rebate til next year. Also 10% CB on Uber/Uber Eats. Also has no AF, so no need to ask this question. Agree about lack of offers.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by diburning
To answer my initial question: No. Hell no. Uber One is trash.

This month, they switched me from a 5% Uber One discount on rides to a 6% rebate of uber cash on rides. Well, I noticed that at least two rides didn't credit any sort of uber cash. The idiots at their outsourced customer service couldn't grasp the issue.

I just ended my membership. Uber One, whether by incompetence or malice, is a scam.
Interesting. I am still seeing the 5% off. I'd rather have the 6% Uber cash (if it works). Uber support is indeed terrible.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
I am able to double dip with C1 Savor and AMEX Plat credit so it looks like a decent deal upfront. I still only do Uber Eats when they have the 40% as the fees are still pretty high and I really have to not want to leave the house to pickup takeout. Without the 40% discount, it is way too expensive to use. I use Uber for rides once a month at best so I like the option to use the AMEX credit for EATS.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 11:04 am

I just received an email that the 5% off ride benefit is ending and is being replaced with 6% Uber Cash back. This starts 25 August, and to me is a slight improvement to the current offering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.