Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber Rewards Devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
That post was 4+ months ago. Rakuten is no longer a partner.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
I noticed today that Uber seems to have quietly added back the $5 Uber cash as an option. This is great news; I hope it stays.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I just looked & I don't see the $5 Uber Cash. However, the free $30 UberX ride for 2000 points is still there. However, A. It's valid only on UberX (no Comfort nor XL etc.), and B. It applies to your VERY NEXT UberX ride, and if it's <$30, you forfeit the rest! So it should be claimed only right before you know that you're ordering a ride priced near or above $30!
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Brendan
I just looked & I don't see the $5 Uber Cash. However, the free $30 UberX ride for 2000 points is still there. However, A. It's valid only on UberX (no Comfort nor XL etc.), and B. It applies to your VERY NEXT UberX ride, and if it's <$30, you forfeit the rest! So it should be claimed only right before you know that you're ordering a ride priced near or above $30!
Strange, I guess not everyone has the same options? I don't see the $30 / 2000 points option you mention. My choices are:
  1. 15% off Uber Easts (up to $7)
  2. Free delivery on 2 Uber Eats orders
  3. 15% off next ride (up to $7)
  4. 15% off Uber Comfort (up to $10)
  5. $5 Uber Cash

Not sure if status matters for options. I am still listed as Diamond, though probably not for long unless travel picks up more.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I am Platinum, and my $30/ 2000 option is the 6th of 7 in the top row called "Featured."
Old Jun 3, 2021, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'm a Platinum, and I don't have the $5 Uber cash option. What I do have however, is an even more lucrative option that I'll mention later if they remove it, once they figure out that they're losing a quite a bit of money every time I redeem it.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:16 pm

It seems Uber has quietly changed their rewards program yet again. I now see a list of rewards costing varying points. There are still some options for free rides (e.g. free UberX up to $30 for 4000 points), but I much preferred the simplicity/flexibility of the old “uber cash” option, which appears to be gone again.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA Plat (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Hilton Gold, Uber One
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
It seems Uber has quietly changed their rewards program yet again. I now see a list of rewards costing varying points. There are still some options for free rides (e.g. free UberX up to $30 for 4000 points), but I much preferred the simplicity/flexibility of the old “uber cash” option, which appears to be gone again.
Ugh...I hadn't noticed this change but I'm definitely with you -- just give me the $5 Uber cash. Not only do the new options value each point less to begin with, but the rewards become further devalued if you don't use their maximum benefit (e.g., if you don't take rides of $30 or more).
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by ikwia
Ugh...I hadn't noticed this change but I'm definitely with you -- just give me the $5 Uber cash. Not only do the new options value each point less to begin with, but the rewards become further devalued if you don't use their maximum benefit (e.g., if you don't take rides of $30 or more).
Agree. I orefer something simple like the old uber cash. Even if theoretically I could extract more value from the new system with a ride for exactly $30, thinking about if/when/how to use the rewards is more brain cells than I want to expend on this.
ikwia and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Yeah, Uber cash went away a couple of weeks ago. It sucks big time. At best you can now get the same value ... but that only works for longer more expensive trips. Getting a lot harder to make use of this for sure. Currently have 3000 points that I have no use for.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Uber Rewards is ending soon

I got this today. The annoying thing for me that Uber Rewards will automatically be converted into an Uber One subscription with he first month free and then they will charge if I don't cancel. I have set a calendar reminder to do so but annoying that a formerly free benefit will now be an opt out charge.

Thank you for being part of Uber Rewards. It’s been a great ride, but we’ve decided to end Rewards soon, as we shift our focus to our new Uber One membership program.

You will still earn points and enjoy Rewards benefits until the end of the month. And there’s still time to get all the rewards you’ve earned: just use your points by October 31. You can redeem them from the Account section of your Uber and Uber Eats apps.

As a valued member, you’ll also receive 1 free month of Uber One, giving you members-only savings and perks on Uber and Uber Eats. Join Uber One in the Account section in your app.

Thank you for being a loyal Uber customer.

Subscription will auto-renew starting 1 month from initial enrollment in the Uber One free trial and every month thereafter at the then-current monthly rate, using your selected payment method. In order to ensure continuation of your subscription, you agree we may charge you up to one day before your auto-renewal date. To avoid charges: (1) if you are more than 48 hours before your auto-renewal day, cancel in the {pass-name} section of the app by selecting “Manage Membership,” selecting “End membership,” and then confirming you wish to cancel your subscription; or (2) if you are within 48 hours of your auto-renewal date, contact support to cancel. Subject to your rights under consumer laws, your recurring payment will not be refundable. See app for availability, fees, terms, and conditions.

Benefits available only for eligible stores marked with the Uber One icon. $15 minimum order to receive $0 Delivery Fee and up to 10% off from participating non-grocery stores, and $30 minimum on participating grocery stores for $0 Delivery Fee, where grocery is available. Up to 10% off doesn’t apply to grocery orders. Uber One Promise is based on the Latest Arrival By estimate, determined once you place your order. Uber One discounts are not available for rides booked 30 minutes or more in advance. Other fees and exclusions may apply. Taxes and fees, if applicable, do not apply to order minimums.

Help Center Terms Email Preferences
Privacy Community

Uber Technologies
1515 3rd St., San Francisco, CA 94158
Uber.com

Last edited by u600213; Aug 13, 2022 at 9:10 am Reason: took out hyperlinks in case they went to my account
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
What the heck?!?!?! So all the money I spend to get Platinum level doesn't count anymore? The main reason I always use Uber is because of Platinum and Diamond benefits. Why would they get rid of that? Why would I continue to use Uber? This makes no sense.

In my account it says I get 3 free months of Uber One. But why would I continue after the 3 months?

Furthermore, isn't this kind of fraudulous? I paid for and earned Platinum for 6 months, but now they are stopping the Platinum benefits after only 4 months. No more flexible cancellations and priority pickups at airports. I wonder if someone will start a class action lawsuit?

Last edited by stimpy; Aug 13, 2022 at 10:20 am
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by u600213
I got this today. The annoying thing for me that Uber Rewards will automatically be converted into an Uber One subscription with he first month free and then they will charge if I don't cancel. I have set a calendar reminder to do so but annoying that a formerly free benefit will now be an opt out charge.
I got a different version without the "free one month of Uber One".
I'm glad I'm NOT a loyal customer and only use UberEats with the Amex Platinum credits or when they have discounts higher than 40%. (required to offset the fees and tips even with Uber One)
I think UberEats has a flawed operating model and doubt too many can afford 50% extra costs to have food delivered on a regular basis.

My only regret is not redeeming my 500 Uber points earlier when the $5 Uber Cash reward was still available. I will continue to be a disloyal customer until I finally cancel the Amex Platinum Card.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:35 pm

So shortsighted. The rewards program was the primary factor that made me shift all my business travel away from reserved car services. I also usually stopped price checking against lyft. Guess I’ll reinstall the Lyft app and go back to pre-reserving airport rides with a car service.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by stimpy
What the heck?!?!?! So all the money I spend to get Platinum level doesn't count anymore? The main reason I always use Uber is because of Platinum and Diamond benefits. Why would they get rid of that? Why would I continue to use Uber? This makes no sense.

In my account it says I get 3 free months of Uber One. But why would I continue after the 3 months?

Furthermore, isn't this kind of fraudulous? I paid for and earned Platinum for 6 months, but now they are stopping the Platinum benefits after only 4 months. No more flexible cancellations and priority pickups at airports. I wonder if someone will start a class action lawsuit?
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I assumed they're ending the Rewards program, but continuing elite status; those have always been metered separately.

​​​​​My email didn't mention Uber One either, but I've canceled a trial of that in the past.

​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.