Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

Uber Launching Rewards Program [Program ends Aug. 2022].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber Launching Rewards Program [Program ends Aug. 2022].

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by bman1002
That has not happened to me so far. They may not be of much help, but have you contacted Uber support about this? Would not be surprised if it is some kind of bug.
Wouldn't be surprised at all if it were a bug. I just noticed it because the first reward I got, the counter was at zero thereafter. Did the math, and it looks like I lost out on 18 points. Even if that happens every time, definitely not enough to fight with the gaping abyss that is Uber customer service.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:57 am

I'm only using lyft, but I wonder if they're not actually doing something along these lines already? I've noticed that the average rating for the drivers I'm getting has gone up recently, by a significant margin. Over the last few weeks I've only seen two drivers below a 5.0 and they were both 4.9. Also I seem to be getting rides at the airport faster than other people (though, it's hard to tell if these are uber or lyft passengers).
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ikwia
I’ve been diamond since the rollout. I definitely get MUCH faster pickups at airports (a stated benefit). I base this on years of experiences as well as a few “side by side comparisons” where I’ve been with people who request at the same time as me. Still no upgraded rides. Unlike another poster, I have found the ride price protection quite valuable. The price locked in for my route ($20.49 iirc) is about $2 more than the lowest I’ve paid in the last year, and very much in line with what is typical. Quite often the price protection is actually triggered, including at least one time where the fare would have been over $45. Do be aware that the price protection does have a cap after which you get only a partial discount. Given I was already a heavy Uber user, these are all nice bonuses. For some people, they may be worth switching from a competitor, especially for the faster airport pickups and price protection. The accumulation of Uber cash doesn’t hurt, either.
I am diamond and have had a similar experience. No upgrades at all, but the platinum-level perks of priority airport pickup and price protection have been useful. The price protection is nice because it actually works for a several-block radius around the home and destination address. I frequently save $7 or $8 per trip. But "UberX Diamond" seems to get me the same sorts of drivers I had before, so I'm not seeing any benefit of diamond over platinum. Maybe I should use the "phone support" benefit to complain about the lack of upgrades...
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
I’m well on my way to earning 25,000 points in the 6 month period - and have gotten maybe 2 upgrades.

Wish they had some kind of secret level above Diamond - with actual upgrades - but I realize their margins are low.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I am diamond and have had a similar experience. No upgrades at all, but the platinum-level perks of priority airport pickup and price protection have been useful. The price protection is nice because it actually works for a several-block radius around the home and destination address. I frequently save $7 or $8 per trip. But "UberX Diamond" seems to get me the same sorts of drivers I had before, so I'm not seeing any benefit of diamond over platinum. Maybe I should use the "phone support" benefit to complain about the lack of upgrades...
Finally got one upgrade in Charlotte from an UberX to a "black car"... but yikes was this car anything but an acceptable black car, must have been a 2005 town car with torn up seats. Fitting as my lone upgrade but I would not have been happy paying full freight for the ride as a Black fare.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Status means nothing when it comes to customer support. You're simply "helped" first by an incompetent offshore agent who is probably paid/rated on numbers of closed tickets and not how well they solve problems.

I'm a Platinum, and I had a promo on Uber Eats that did not apply to any restaurants at all in the Uber Eats app. I sent them a question on Twitter, and I got an offshore agent that answered in broken English that "Your promo was applied correctly, and you did not pay for the delivery fee" Well of course I didn't pay for a delivery fee! I didn't place the order because the promo wasn't working!

Told them on Twitter thanks for nothing, and I will no longer use Uber Eats in the future because I'm not confident that they'd be able to help if something went wrong with an order.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
I wonder if they can see your status when you interact via Twitter? Never had this problem interacting with Uber via in their in app chat feature.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:25 am

I don't think they do, although it's not like it matters. The extent of Uber's twitter interactions are to apologize, and "thank you for your patience, please work with our email team."

So, the Twitter team actually does nothing of value besides handing your issue off to an offshore agent who will give you a BS or canned response just to close the ticket.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
I’ve had five issues with Uber over the last six months. None were simply closed with BS responses. Each resolved satisfactorily with minimal hassle. Diamond status probably helped which is why I questioned the use of Twitter vs in app chat.

YMMV.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:00 am

Uber's customer support has always been YMMV
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by diburning
Uber's customer support has always been YMMV
Indeed - the number of agents one must deal with until they can actually resolve the issue can differ.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Indeed - the number of agents one must deal with until they can actually resolve the issue can differ.
Especially when the issue is fraud-related, as it seems the system prevents the lower-level agents from knowing that it is a fraud issue. Typical corporation too big to care about its own customers.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Back to square one it seems

I had until yesterday to bank 500 points in past six months to keep gold status. I was at $460 spending as of last night, needing $40 more for both a $5 credit and renewing gold. Unfortunately, it seems that while I still can get the $5 with $40 more in spending, which is fine via Amex credits, the gold status is now off the table. I show that I need the full $500 in the next 6 months for that. Moreover, with blue status I now have a chance to earn a measly 5% off rides after I complete 6. Yesterday, I was traveling at 50% off.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
gold status is now off the table.
I missed qualifying by one day. I appealed through Uber customer (non)service for several days. I eventually even got my case escalated. In the end, no dice.

Peace in the Middle East would be easier than getting Uber to grant an exception.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:52 am

Not only are the people you contact not empowered to grant the exception you're looking for, they're outsourced and don't seem to care about anything. I wouldn't be surprised if they're paid by the number of closed tickets (or some efficiency metric) and not by quality of resolution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.