Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

It’s called vomit fraud. And it could make your Uber trip really expensive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:55 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

The next time you use Uber, check your bill. The trip could turn out to be expensive — not just for the distance but for a type of fraud that is on the rise.

It’s called “vomit fraud,” a scam repeatedly denounced in social networks yet still taking place around the world....
More: https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...215321385.html
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Uber is supposed to require photos. I only submitted one claim in the time I was driving. They do allow lesser claims; for example, for spilling a drink. I never charged a passenger for that.

Also, the cleaning fee is really inadequate. It cost me $150 to get my car cleaned the one time someone did throw up. That doesn't count the time it took me to take it to get detailed and then to pick it up the next day, or the fact that after it happened I had to quit for the night. I think it should be higher.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Uber really needs to screen potential drivers better as stuff like this seems to be on the rise. Though I would think a given driver could only pull this off a few times before Uber catching on.

And note that the fraud goes both ways. I've never have filed such a claim, but have friends who have (not drivers that I made friends with, but long term friends who became drivers). Two of them have been burned by having legit claims clawed back after the rider denied ever getting sick in their car.

The article suggests that Uber Support is too driver biased; that riders have to contact Support multiple times to get a false charge reversed.
The reality is that is how Uber "Support" works. They're not biased towards the drivers nor the riders. IMHO, their job is not to "support" either side, it is to "deflect" the issue until the complainer gives up and goes away.
Having to go back-n-forth multiple times (each time communicating with a different agent) to resolve anything is standard practice for both drivers and riders.
diburning likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.