Wiki Posts
Search

Overcharged by Uber

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Overcharged by Uber

Took an UberX to the airport, 13 miles from home. Simple highway route. Got charged almost twice the amount and the map shows some "spaghetti" going back from the airport into Boston.
My hunch is: fraud by driver.
How do I get my money back? Clicking on "fare review" brings up some lame Q&A that doesn't help a bit.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: SQ
In Boston, the rate that you are quoted isn't the actual rate you should pay.

It seems like you just had a ride on the Pike through the city, and that the driver didn't end the trip when dropping you off and instead drove back towards Downtown with your trip still in progress.

The Q+A should help you get the money back (it's annoying but it works), and if you want you can probably have the driver get a call from Uber HQ.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Uber will refund partial or even the entire trip. The great thing about these rideshare services is you're sent proof of the route you were charged for, which is great for route disputes like this.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've had some asian Uber rides that were charged too high. Mostly these were when the Uber was waiting. Wait time is $2.75 an hour, and instead was charged for a 40 mile trip, instead of 7 miles. A quick note usually gets it corrected. Seemed it was a gps glitch.

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; Aug 27, 2016 at 2:25 am
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
In Boston, the rate that you are quoted isn't the actual rate you should pay.

It seems like you just had a ride on the Pike through the city, and that the driver didn't end the trip when dropping you off and instead drove back towards Downtown with your trip still in progress.
That just shows you Uber is an immature technology. It shouldn't rely on a driver pushing a "trip finished" button. Either the trip auto-terminates because the GPS has determined you are at your location, or the user should terminate the trip at destination by paying.
This whole: "pay upfront whatever happens" is a joke.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:40 am

Programs: Qantas FF
Uber's support team is *incredibly* responsive for all types of issues, including these.

Just get in touch with them and I am fairly confident they'll fix it up. I believe there is a link for it in the e-mail you get, to open a case about the trip specifically.. otherwise: https://help.uber.com/
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
That just shows you Uber is an immature technology. It shouldn't rely on a driver pushing a "trip finished" button. Either the trip auto-terminates because the GPS has determined you are at your location, or the user should terminate the trip at destination by paying.
Yeah, but at Logan only the registered drivers can pick up at the airport, so I'd definitely shoot them an email. The driver is playing you for someone that is so naive that they won't even check their email to see the final fare. If it was a new driver driving Uber X in the city I'd say it could be a driver's mistake, but as of now only the registered drivers can pick up at BOS.

That driver definitely knows how to end the trip properly.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
Was this the day the Sumner tunnel was closed due to a fatal accident? Just another thought.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Ditch a fantastic money-saving technology because one driver might have forgot to hit "trip end"? That's just plain silly. I've had plenty of occasions where I have asked the driver to wait at a destination and then continue on or to simply wait for one reason or another. I don't want the software "auto-ending" the trip to save me from myself.

When the trip ends, the driver evaluation screen ought to pop up within 10-15 seconds. If that doesn't happen, the driver hasn't ended the trip.

But, as others note, OP is complaining here because there is a simple solution which he won't use. Uber deals with these things in short order. Something simple like this will likely result in a credit for the entire trip in < 1 hour. The Q&A are there so that the software can figure out how to route the complaint.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I've had just a very few trips run sour, including once with the OP's scenario, and UBER fixes things very quickly. Ironically, my first issue was in Paris, so now the subject line of any inquiry reply is in French.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:38 pm

My hunch is: fraud by driver.
This is probably the least likely scenario.

Question: In the Uber receipt you received, is your drop-off location and time accurate? If it is, then the issue has nothing to do with the driver. If it isn't, then we can assume otherwise.

To get in touch with Uber Support, select any of the silly support options such as Route Feedback > My Driver Took a Poor Route and get the convo going. Most likely you will receive a fare adjustment without having to send in a follow-up.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So, it's 24 hours later and no reply from Uber yet.

Edt to add: just received a reply. Uber blames it on the driver and refunds me part of the fare.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Aug 27, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I believe Lyft already has this technology. If I have my app open and the app sees that my location is stationary near my destination or if I'm heading in a different direction, even though the driver hasn't ended the trip, it ends the ride.

Originally Posted by lathiat
Uber's support team is *incredibly* responsive for all types of issues, including these.

Just get in touch with them and I am fairly confident they'll fix it up. I believe there is a link for it in the e-mail you get, to open a case about the trip specifically.. otherwise: https://help.uber.com/
Sure, they're responsive, with irrelevant form letters, or if the rep is feeling ambitious, you might get a personal response in broken English that is irrelevant and still does not address your issue. Only through further kvetching will you receive a response from someone in the US who will actually read and address your issue. Thankfully, I don't have very many problems with Uber.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:31 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by diburning
Sure, they're responsive, with irrelevant form letters, or if the rep is feeling ambitious, you might get a personal response in broken English that is irrelevant and still does not address your issue. Only through further kvetching will you receive a response from someone in the US who will actually read and address your issue. Thankfully, I don't have very many problems with Uber.
I've had a few hiccups with Uber as well, but let's be fair - Uber is handling customer support for 60+ million rides per month, yet I've always gotten a pretty rapid response to any issues. I'm pretty sure any issue raised with my local taxi commission would fall into a black hole.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by diburning
I've had that experience when I actually ask a substantive question. But it seems that fare reviews are almost automated and don't seem to have the same back and forth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.