Wiki Posts
Search

AA Dining Rewards Maximum?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2007, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1M
AA Dining Rewards Maximum?

I recently used a credit card linked to my AA Dining Rewards account to book my company holiday party. The total bill came to $3500 and the restaurant was offering a 5 + 5 deal on miles (5 miles for each dollar spend, plus 5 bonus miles). So I thought I was in line for 35,000 miles.

The credit just posted my account and I was only give 10,000 miles. Upon further inspection AA Dining only allows $1000 maximum spent at that restaurant for the reward program per month. So I got ($1000 * 5) * 2. Still not bad.

I am considering calling the restaurant to have them split the bill between two credit cards (it was just a few days ago), to see if AA Dining would credit me for two separate $1000 purchases?? Or do you think the system would realize the cards were on the same AA Dining account and disallow it?

Any insight is appreciated.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA PP; Bonvoy SE
This will probably be moved to the iDine topic.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=400

There's a lot of information there. Almost all iDine restaurants have either a $600 or $1,000 monthly limit (be happy it was the latter). If you split it between two cards for the SAME iDine account, I'm sure they'd be able to tell. However, if you have two separate iDine accounts (with separate AAdvantage numbers) then you could most likely earn 10,000 miles on each aadvantage account. I'm pretty sure they don't allow two iDine accounts with the same AA account linked (they also don't allow one credit card linked to two accounts)

(iDine = Rewards Network)

one more thing... did you dine on or before 12/15? If so, make sure you RATE the restaurant... you may get an additional 5 miles/$

Last edited by majikTib; Dec 20, 2007 at 4:00 pm
Old Dec 20, 2007, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I know this is late for this, but faced with the same situation I paid for a large dining bill by begining to pay 6 months in advance, $1,200 per month, charging $600 each month to my wife's and my own credit card. Two idine accounts.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I agree with Majik's assessment... you could in fact do this if you split the bill across multiple Idine accounts. I do this quite often with my co-workers, and we have come close to the points you listed.

I also like the idea of pre-paying on a monthly basis... I never thought about that!
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:32 pm

deleted

Last edited by shoodawg; Jun 9, 2009 at 7:28 pm
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:39 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by shoodawg
Dining has installed so many hoops I have given up.
There's even a better solution than giving up...and requires even less effort. I have my card on file with them (have had it there for a while). I don't check their restaurants at all. I just do whatever I'm going to do. Periodically, miles just show up and I think "oh, that must be one of their establishments." Not a lot of miles, but zero effort.

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1M
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
I know this is late for this, but faced with the same situation I paid for a large dining bill by begining to pay 6 months in advance, $1,200 per month, charging $600 each month to my wife's and my own credit card. Two idine accounts.
In retrospect, this would have been a great idea. I could have put down a deposit or something. Darn.

I agree on the whole program, it is a pain to try to find places that offer rewards. But it is nice when you ocassionally see some extra miles show up.

Thanks all.

Last edited by Psyclone*Jack; Feb 14, 2008 at 9:08 pm
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:34 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Just paid for our group holiday party up to the restaurant's monthly max on my card with the remainder on Mrs. dstan's. OP will prob have a tough time getting the restaurant to change the charges after the fact, though. Next time!

Originally Posted by shoodawg
Dining has installed so many hoops I have given up.
In another thread, people willing to jump thru the hoops report having earned as many as 180,000 AA mi this year YMMV
Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
1) This thread will indeed relocate to the iDine/Rewards Network Forum.

2) Before dining, it it imperative to check the restaurant listing out (after logging in.) The listings will have the restrictions - most iDine restaurants limit to $600 (older enrollees) or $1000 (newer ones) per month, though a few may have no limits - and it will tell you of other restrictions (some allow one dine per month, period,) as well as which days they offer miles and which credit cards they accept. More than one iDine has gone astray when assumptions have been made.

Take some time to read some of the helpful posts here - they will help you maximize your iDining (and be SURE to read the new rules beginning January 1 2008.)

Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack
I recently used a credit card linked to my AA Dining Rewards account to book my company holiday party. The total bill came to $3500 and the restaurant was offering a 5 + 5 deal on miles (5 miles for each dollar spend, plus 5 bonus miles). So I thought I was in line for 35,000 miles.

The credit just posted my account and I was only give 10,000 miles. Upon further inspection AA Dining only allows $1000 maximum spent at that restaurant for the reward program per month. So I got ($1000 * 5) * 2. Still not bad.

I am considering calling the restaurant to have them split the bill between two credit cards (it was just a few days ago), to see if AA Dining would credit me for two separate $1000 purchases?? Or do you think the system would realize the cards were on the same AA Dining account and disallow it?

Any insight is appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.