Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

Earn miles on multiple programs for same dine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn miles on multiple programs for same dine?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG PA, Hilton Sucks, Hyatt Discoverist
Not sure whether the policy has changed since these immediately preceding posts

I have managed to register without any difficulty all 5 of my credit cards with each of the following Rewards Networks FF programs: AA, UA, NWA, and US Airways.

My best guess is that the policy has changed since 2007.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmhsieh54
I have managed to register without any difficulty all 5 of my credit cards with each of the following Rewards Networks FF programs: AA, UA, NWA, and US Airways.

I doubt the policy has changed, just the technical implementation.

Do a test dine and see what happens. Do you get miles in all programs, or just one of the programs, or no programs at all? If just one of the programs, is it the last one you registered that card with, or a different one? If just one of the programs, if you go back and look at the credit cards registered with each program, does it at that point still show the same card registered with multiple programs?

Once they didn't allow you to register a card with another program without first manually removing it from the previous one. You got an error message.

Then IIRC they changed it so that you could register a card in as many programs as you wanted, and it simply removed that card from the previous one when you registered it in an additional one. You got no error message, but if you went back and checked the original program that card was no longer registered there.

Did you go back and verify that it still shows the same card registered in all those programs? If so, the latter method of lockout may have disappeared.

But all that may be simply because their per-dine process can now weed that out. It may be smart enough to know to only issue a dine to one program (whichever program it feels like, among the list you've registered the card for), in which case there's no need to lock out at registration time (tho it might be nice to alert the user who's doing this by mistake!).
Old Jun 29, 2008, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by cmhsieh54

I very much doubt it. The last time I checked (just a couple of months ago) this was definitely NOT possible.

Example: I tried to register a particular card with a particular idine/airline program, and kept getting a cryptic error message. I finally figured out that I had already registered that same card with a different idine/airline program. I deleted the card from that program and was then able to register it with the desired program.

(BTW, there are multiple threads on this same question. Perhaps the threads could be merged....)
Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:06 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Recently, I ordered a M/C for my 17 year old daughter and hung it on to her Alaska account, in order to keep her miles active.

Subsequently, my M/C Idines were showing up on her account. I did not notice that her credit card account # is the same as mine (not so for Amex, btw), and that by adding her card, Idine automatically disabled my M/C card with the same number. Frankly, I’m surprised that I didn’t get a, “this card is already registered on a different program” kind of message.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Jailer
Recently, I ordered a M/C for my 17 year old daughter and hung it on to her Alaska account, in order to keep her miles active.

Subsequently, my M/C Idines were showing up on her account. I did not notice that her credit card account # is the same as mine (not so for Amex, btw), and that by adding her card, Idine automatically disabled my M/C card with the same number. Frankly, I’m surprised that I didn’t get a, “this card is already registered on a different program” kind of message.
OK, it does sound like there was a change in implementation. Before, one used to get a cryptic (read: meaningless) error message, as per my example above. Now, the system just automatically un-registers the card from one program and re-registers it to the other.

Perhaps the cryptic error message was actually better!
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I prefer this method - works better in my situation as some local particpants are AMEX-hostile. De-registering a card on one program, and then having to log into the second one to re-register it was a pain!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 3:52 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I prefer this method - works better in my situation as some local particpants are AMEX-hostile. De-registering a card on one program, and then having to log into the second one to re-register it was a pain!
Don't get too comfortable, I’m pretty sure it’s a glitch; the CSR seemed surprised that I wasn’t messaged on the duplicate card.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 2:00 pm

Since this is a double-dipping kind of thread:

Can you get miles with an AAdvantage AMEX and the dining program? Meaning that you'll get 1 miles/dollar (amex) + 5 miles/dollar (VIP status in dining program)?

You can do it with the HHonors card, correct?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rodrigo
Since this is a double-dipping kind of thread:

Can you get miles with an AAdvantage AMEX and the dining program? Meaning that you'll get 1 miles/dollar (amex) + 5 miles/dollar (VIP status in dining program)?

You can do it with the HHonors card, correct?
There is nothing special about the AAdvantage AMEX or HHonors (any more). You get the miles or points that you would normally get for using the card anywhere (through the card), and totally separately you get the miels or points or cashback with the Rewards Network dining program you use.

And you can mix them in any way that you want. Ie, you can earn AA miles from a card while earning UA miles through RN. You can earn Best Western miles from a card while earning Alaska miles thougn RN (I just did a dine like that the other day, because Best Western has no dining program and I have no Alaska card, so it was a reasonable match!).

The only thing that was special about the HHonors AMex at one point is that it used to give extra points at restaurants. So some people liked to use that. However, whether that math really made it worth more than miles or not then, the fact is that extra earning is gone, and now HHonors Amex earns nothing more at restaurants than anywhere else you shop.

The only card that earns more at restaurants right now that I'm aware of is Discover, and that's only if you register and only Oct thru Dec 2009 (Discover has rotatating extra-cashback categories) and it has a cap. But beware: Some restaurants that take Discover don't give miles for Discover, so if using Discover be sure to check the website for each particular restaurant as to whether you'll get miles for Discover, rather than using Discover automatically because you saw the logo at the restaurant.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JDiver

You must create an account first, and register the credit card(s) you want for each airline - you can only register one airline for each credit card you wish to use, but... if you have a Hilton HHonors AMEX, you can get 10 miles and 5 points per dine. ^
This post is from a much earlier date in the thread. I have the HHonors American Express (the one with $0 annual fee) and thought it was only 3 points per $.

I just checked on the HHonors Surpass by AmEx and it gives an extra 3 pts. on grocery, gas and drugstores. But I didn't see 5 for dining.

Have the rewards changed since this post?

Thanks,
gg
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gardengirl
This post is from a much earlier date in the thread.
Specifially, 2007 or about 5 years ago.

I have the HHonors American Express (the one with $0 annual fee) and thought it was only 3 points per $.

I just checked on the HHonors Surpass by AmEx and it gives an extra 3 pts. on grocery, gas and drugstores. But I didn't see 5 for dining.

Have the rewards changed since this post?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, the rewards on the various HHonors credit cards have all changed at least once since 2007, either in terms of how many points you earn or in terms of which categories count and which don't.

I think they used to including dining as a category, but no more.

Btw, even the regular no-fee card HHonors Amex card gives extra points on gas/grocery/drug (GGD), plus phone and internet providors (Verizon and TimeWarner Cable in my case work). But if it once did dining (as I seem to recall), that ended quite a few years ago.

The only card I have that still gives extra points on dining every day is the Marriott Premier Visa from Chase (plus my AA Visa from Citi has double miles on several categories including dining as a temporary promotion through the end of this month, but that might be a targeted promotion). Of note, the Marriott Visa from Chase gives extra points on dining but not GGD, while the Priority Club Visa from Chase gives extra points on GGD but not dining!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.