Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A case of mixed emotions….

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2004, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
A case of mixed emotions….

When, at a 20 miles per dollar joint, the service was so bad that the manager comped the meal. Darn that Mrs. Jailer and her complaining ways.

BTW, a recent resurgence of 20 mile establishments enabled three in a row in one week: Long Beach, Torrance and Central Coast. Hope it’s a trend.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 8:26 pm

I'm starting to think they are 20-milers for a reason...

Originally Posted by Jailer
When, at a 20 miles per dollar joint, the service was so bad that the manager comped the meal. Darn that Mrs. Jailer and her complaining ways.

BTW, a recent resurgence of 20 mile establishments enabled three in a row in one week: Long Beach, Torrance and Central Coast. Hope it’s a trend.
In my area, the 20-milers fall into 2 categories:
1. They either have lousy food/service.
2. They are the trendy LA-type restaurants that are in business for just a few months, shut down, and reopen under a new name/theme.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
One 20 miler I (briefly) thought about visiting was really a biker bar.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by gardener
One 20 miler I (briefly) thought about visiting was really a biker bar.
There’s an interesting trend: maybe all biker bars give 20 miles:

Sully's Restaurant & Tavern
American, Hawaiian
Metro: CA, Los Angeles
Neighborhood: South Bay, Long Beach, Central LA
22735 Hawthorne Blvd
Torrance, CA 90505
(310) 375-9158

Sully's Restaurant & Tavern is a casual, dimly lit, friendly biker restaurant with live music, dancing, TV viewing and games. They serve an authentic Hawaiian Irish American cuisine with steak, chicken and seafood entrees. Other menu items include appetizers, stews, salads, sandwiches, burgers, rice dishes, side orders, combination plates and desserts. A full bar features domestic and imported liquors, mixed drinks, wines and beers.
Credit Cards Accepted: American Express - Discover - MasterCard - Visa

Rewards Network Guidelines for This Restaurant: Unlimited visits, Rewards awarded up to the maximum spending of $600 per month.

Sun, Oct 17, 2004
Earn 20 miles/$, All Day, Everyday

I love this place for business meetings/and a little pool at lunch. Funny, for 20 miles I even invited my mother in law to lunch at Sully’s and she knew that place, had eaten there a number of times, and loved it…go figure.

And yes, by inviting my mother in law to lunch I believe that I win the coveted award given to the person who did the most preposterous and outrageous thing for Idine miles.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

duplicate posting

Last edited by Jailer; Oct 17, 2004 at 2:42 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Oct 19, 2004, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
....A Hawaiian Irish American biker restaurant?

The mind boggles!
Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:16 pm

No 20 mile-places here in Miami, that I know of,

BUT, I was in Chicago last weekend and there were two; however, when I went, both were closed (I don't know if it was just for the day or what.)

Usually the 20 mile ones don't last long so get them while you can!

Peace!
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA MM, SPG Plat., HHonors GLD, Hertz PC
I got back from Philly a few weeks back and there were ~4-5 20-milers near UPenn, though most were little hole-in-the-wall joints. The Roach-Coaches looked safer and more respectable.

sd
Old Nov 18, 2004, 6:41 pm

And none of them were padlocked by the county when you arrived?

Originally Posted by sdelira
I got back from Philly a few weeks back and there were ~4-5 20-milers near UPenn, though most were little hole-in-the-wall joints. The Roach-Coaches looked safer and more respectable.

sd
Lately that's what I've encountered here in LA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.