Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thrifty Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, EY, IHG
Originally Posted by CFFrost
I called the US-based Thrifty number to confirm there were no problems. The rep claims that everything should be fine, they are still open etc, but I still cannot search for cars out of this location. The other day it said the location was closed at the specified time, not it indicates "Invalid Pickup Location"

I'm not very familiar with Thrifty as I don't frequently rent cars. Any insight on this sort of an issue?
Maybe they no longer allow one-way rentals from the Hilton. Since the message keeps changing though, I think it's probably just a glitch with their website. Can you see your reservation when you check it online?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by flightexpert
Maybe they no longer allow one-way rentals from the Hilton. Since the message keeps changing though, I think it's probably just a glitch with their website. Can you see your reservation when you check it online?
Yea, it still appears online. I'll wait a week and see if they get it up and running again.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:40 pm

Yea, it still appears online. I'll wait a week and see if they get it up and running again.
Well, it appears the location has closed. I received a note from Autoslash that they were not able to access my reservation. I logged into my Thrifty account and when I clicked into the reservation received error code "612" and was not able to access the reservation.

I called the 24hr reservations number, and my reservation indicates in his system that I am picking my car up somewhere in Australia (I don't remember where) and returning it at Port Elizabeth Airport . I double checked my original confirmation e-mail to ensure I hadn't made some absurd mistake - nope.

The rep could not really be of any help - he couldn't even tell me if the location I rented from was still open.

A quick google found this page - CLOSED.

http://www.thrifty.com/local/index.a...cationCode=CT2

It appears they may have recycled location codes so my pick up location got reassigned somewhere in Australia?

In any event, the real frustration is that I did not receive ANY communication from Thrifty - no e-mail, phone call, nothing. If I hadn't looked up the reservation myself I likely would not have found out that the location was closed until I went to pick up the car. I'm lucky I caught it when I did - at least I have time to shop around for a different rental.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, EY, IHG
Well, it appears the location has closed. I received a note from Autoslash that they were not able to access my reservation. I logged into my Thrifty account and when I clicked into the reservation received error code "612" and was not able to access the reservation.

I called the 24hr reservations number, and my reservation indicates in his system that I am picking my car up somewhere in Australia (I don't remember where) and returning it at Port Elizabeth Airport . I double checked my original confirmation e-mail to ensure I hadn't made some absurd mistake - nope.

The rep could not really be of any help - he couldn't even tell me if the location I rented from was still open.

A quick google found this page - CLOSED.

http://www.thrifty.com/local/index.a...cationCode=CT2

It appears they may have recycled location codes so my pick up location got reassigned somewhere in Australia?

In any event, the real frustration is that I did not receive ANY communication from Thrifty - no e-mail, phone call, nothing. If I hadn't looked up the reservation myself I likely would not have found out that the location was closed until I went to pick up the car. I'm lucky I caught it when I did - at least I have time to shop around for a different rental.
That's ridiculous! Good thing you noticed before you had to pick up the car. It's a bit odd that the location seems to have closed during the time you and I were searching for rentals there.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:53 pm

Does anyone have any luck getting mileage credit for a reservation that did not post properly? For my above-referenced rental, which I completed about 2 weeks ago, I never received any miles despite using the "US10" promo code, which should give me 150/day or 1500 for the rental. Interestingly, the rental does not appear in the "completed rentals" section of my bluechip account. I e-mailed [email protected] requesting mileage credit a week ago, and never received a response. Even if the response is just to tell me that, for some reason the rental does not qualify - a response would be appreciated.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:06 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Does anyone have any luck getting mileage credit for a reservation that did not post properly? For my above-referenced rental, which I completed about 2 weeks ago, I never received any miles despite using the "US10" promo code, which should give me 150/day or 1500 for the rental. Interestingly, the rental does not appear in the "completed rentals" section of my bluechip account. I e-mailed [email protected] requesting mileage credit a week ago, and never received a response. Even if the response is just to tell me that, for some reason the rental does not qualify - a response would be appreciated.
Did your rental receipt show that you were charged the $0.95/day frequent flyer mileage surcharge? If so, I'd say your chances of getting the credit are pretty good, although Thrifty's not known for speedy posting.

Also, what location did you rent from? If it was a franchise, there may be additional delays in receiving your mileage credit and viewing your receipt on the Blue Chip site.

Also, Thrifty's email response times, which were formerly decent (2-3 days), have gone significantly downhill since Hertz bought them (not a surprise, as Hertz's response times have always been atrocious).

Last edited by AutoSlash; Oct 10, 2014 at 11:16 am
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:17 pm

Anyone got a Thrifty UK discount? TIA
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Thrifty Car Rental
Get 7% off your Car Rentals

Make a Reservation
Online: Thrifty.com
Call Thrifty Car Rental: (800) 847-4389 & use CD 0010230801
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: Starwood
SPOUSE additional fee waived? with a credit card?

Ok, so I rented with Thrifty - by far the cheapest out of Orlando. Is there a way to get the spouse additional fee waived? With status of some kind, or using a particular credit card?

I usually use one of the rental companies that throw in the spouse driving free.

Currently booked reservation with this new Citi Advantage mastercard World Elite platinum level card I just got - looks snazzy but the lady I spoke with when I called the number on the back of my card didn't seem well informed. I think its a good card, but its not one I pay oodles for to be cool like ya'll here.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:24 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by cashandpointfanatic
Ok, so I rented with Thrifty - by far the cheapest out of Orlando. Is there a way to get the spouse additional fee waived? With status of some kind, or using a particular credit card?

I usually use one of the rental companies that throw in the spouse driving free.

Currently booked reservation with this new Citi Advantage mastercard World Elite platinum level card I just got - looks snazzy but the lady I spoke with when I called the number on the back of my card didn't seem well informed. I think its a good card, but its not one I pay oodles for to be cool like ya'll here.

I've never heard of a card that offers free spouse coverage as it has to be added at the rental counter. Check around for other rates/agencies. I know Avis & Hertz allow the spouse to drive for free. Also, if you have a Costco membership, you can book cars on CostcoTravel.com and the one benefit there is that you get a free additional driver! Their rates are often better than I find at other places. Not always, but frequently.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:48 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by cashandpointfanatic

Credit cards never convey additional driver privileges. Thrifty (and sister company Dollar) is one of the stingiest out there when it comes to additional drivers. Most other companies allow spouses to drive for free, while they do not. The only way to get the fee waived is to use a corporate code that specifically has this benefit.

You can find more about additional driver policies for the various rental companies on our blog here.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Nov 19, 2015 at 8:34 am
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
looking for a week long rental in nyc in june....would appreciate any promos or discount codes....i'm a novice when it comes to car rentals....
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Chase UR, National Emerald Club, Hertz Gold Plus
Originally Posted by Keyser
looking for a week long rental in nyc in june....would appreciate any promos or discount codes....i'm a novice when it comes to car rentals....
Its probably best to avoid a rental car in NYC, unless you're absolutely certain that you need one. Its more hassle than convenience. Parking is expensive, street parking is challenging, rentals are expensive.

For most people, Uber/Cab/Train is a much better option. If you're headed out of NYC, then it makes sense to rent it for only the days you'll be outside NYC.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by kooke
Its probably best to avoid a rental car in NYC, unless you're absolutely certain that you need one. Its more hassle than convenience. Parking is expensive, street parking is challenging, rentals are expensive.

For most people, Uber/Cab/Train is a much better option. If you're headed out of NYC, then it makes sense to rent it for only the days you'll be outside NYC.
every year i end up spending about 50-60 days in nyc & i have never rented a car within the city....

i need one this time as i will be driving with my wife & kids to syracuse to attend a friend's wedding & then to niagara falls for a few days before heading back to nyc....
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Chase UR, National Emerald Club, Hertz Gold Plus
Angry

Originally Posted by Keyser
every year i end up spending about 50-60 days in nyc & i have never rented a car within the city....

i need one this time as i will be driving with my wife & kids to syracuse to attend a friend's wedding & then to niagara falls for a few days before heading back to nyc....
Check out autoslash.com. Basically, you make any reservation (cancel able, without paying upfront). Don't worry about promos and discount codes at this time. Your initial rate is going to be higher, since you're not applying any discounts upfront.

Then 'track' your reservation on autoslash. They'll do the hard work of figuring out which discount codes give you the best discount. A few days before you pick up your rental car, check out Hotwire and Priceline. If you're quoted a better rate than you have with Autoslash, go for it.

Since you don't rent frequently, I'd say stick with the better known brands like Avis, Hertz, National & Enterprise even if they cost a bit more. You might get a better rate renting from a neighborhood location rather than the airport. Maybe you can track multiple reservations on Autoslash, one with Airport pickup and another from a neighborhood location.

Although, its a slight detour on your way from Syracuse to Buffalo, if you have the time, be sure to check out the finger lakes region. Its beautiful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.