Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FL drive-in

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2020, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

FL drive-in 2020

If any company has (announced or un-announced) special Southbound rates this season, who has the latest date of drop-off? (going into past winters, companies would pre-set "rate cut off" as early Dec 4, or as late as Dec.14 (I recall once)

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Oct 11, 2020 at 4:10 pm
Old Oct 11, 2020, 5:21 pm

Avis/Budget has an announced special, but at $49/day to FL and the Piedmont South it's not like in previous years. Part of it could be to recoup some of the lost revenue from the spring and summer. Part of it could reflect the fact that many people are escaping blue states for more open red states, so perhaps they expect demand to be higher than normal.
m907 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:49 pm

Given how aggressively the rental companies have been trimming their fleets over the past couple of months, my guess is that there isn’t an excessive number of cars anywhere that need to be relocated, thus the lack of one way specials.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Hertz 50% rate is a joke, relatively...Got to be something cheaper out there
Old Nov 19, 2020, 3:39 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
Hertz 50% rate is a joke, relatively...Got to be something cheaper out there
There is -- see here. Here's an example.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
There is -- see here. Here's an example.
thanks!
T&C say no maximum days.
I'm trying to book a one way JFK-MCO/FLL but would like to keep the car for a few months before returning it.
Can pickup whenever
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:12 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
thanks!
T&C say no maximum days.
I'm trying to book a one way JFK-MCO/FLL but would like to keep the car for a few months before returning it.
Can pickup whenever
It doesn't say in the T&Cs but it looks like the $1+ per day rates are only valid for a max of 5 days. We've never seen a one-way special that would let you keep the vehicle for weeks at a time much less months. Anything over 27 days is going to be a monthly rate no matter what.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:16 pm

It doesn't say in the T&Cs but it looks like the $1+ per day rates are only valid for a max of 5 days. We've never seen a one-way special that would let you keep the vehicle for weeks at a time much less months. Anything over 27 days is going to be a monthly rate no matter what.
Figured I'd ask because T&C didn't mention any.

On the same topic, are there monthly deals available for pickup in florida? I recall them being ~400 a few months ago. Can't seem to find any
I would fly in to pick it up
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

I'm seeing crazy inconsistencies:
1. Dollar website does show Compact availability (lowest rate), while yours doesn't
2. But Dollar site cuts all availability past 5 days . While yours goes to 10 days, albeit at higher rate. Crazy quirks, I don't understand either one(?)
Old Nov 24, 2020, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
I'm seeing crazy inconsistencies:
1. Dollar website does show Compact availability (lowest rate), while yours doesn't
2. But Dollar site cuts all availability past 5 days . While yours goes to 10 days, albeit at higher rate. Crazy quirks, I don't understand either one(?)
So I ended up with a Dec.16-21 $1/day reservation (cancellable, of course). I really needed a longer deal (to use while in FL) - but not seeing any(?)
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 11:04 am

$1/day for the FL one-way specials hasn't been heard of in several years. Before Hertz bought Dollar/Thrifty, it was far more common, using Dollar's name as a marketing gimmick. The lowest I've seen most recently was $5/day. Be thankful you found the deal that you did. Look for Priceline opaque rates and such within FL.
Yellowjj and m907 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
$1/day for the FL one-way specials hasn't been heard of in several years. Before Hertz bought Dollar/Thrifty, it was far more common, using Dollar's name as a marketing gimmick. The lowest I've seen most recently was $5/day. Be thankful you found the deal that you did. Look for Priceline opaque rates and such within FL.
Opaque sites, unfortunately, show $150/week only for Companies that make you add insurance on. Regular-tier Co's look $270+
Old Nov 24, 2020, 7:57 pm

$270/week is like $38/day. That's not so bad in the peak season for a popular tourist market. In previous years, when many more people were traveling, the rates could easily be double, if not sold out entirely by now.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
$270/week is like $38/day. That's not so bad in the peak season for a popular tourist market. In previous years, when many more people were traveling, the rates could easily be double, if not sold out entirely by now.
In previous years, plenty foreigners would come to FL. Now even Canadians can't. Which, incidentally, leaves many snowbird properties sitting empty - even Xmas/NYears, traditionally highest week of the year. Empty; who'd ever believe!

And even New Yorkers are affraid to cross state borders: NYC is going lockdown+curfew, two test results required to return, check-points!
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 11:22 am
Original Poster

strange on dollar.com website; still $1-5 special page, although says booking deadline was 11/23. Impossible to complete new booking: page just blinks, and states nothing at all.

But we know the six-digit code. Is it possible via Autoslash/Priceline? I'd be interested in changing my MCO drop-off in favor of FLL drop-off on existing booking; how could I accomplish that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.