Wiki Posts
Search

Dollar Toll Administrative Charges

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, AV
Dollar Toll Administrative Charges

I normally stick to Hertz, but on a recent trip to the West Coast, used Dollar in the SF Bay Area. I crossed the Bay Bridge twice. There was no option to pay the toll in cash — either use a transponder, or have the toll invoice mailed to the owner of the car. While my rental had a sticker about how to use a transponder, there was no actual transponder that I could find. Anyway, the bill arrived today — for *each* toll, a $15 “administrative fee.” So a $6 toll is actually $21. Wow. I know rental agencies make a killing this way, but didn’t realize how much of a killing. And what is one supposed to do when there is no way to pay cash for the toll at all?

At least with Hertz, with a transponder, there’s a flat fee per day. A per toll tax (over 100%!) is a bit excessive! Is this something worth taking up with Dollar? Or just suck it up, and avoid them in the future ?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:35 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

You can set up a FasTrak account next time and then set the start and end date for your rental and they will bill you directly. I honestly don't know if you can do it after the fact once you've already crossed the bridge, but I know for a fact that in New York, the Toll by Mail option lets you do this after the fact and as long as you enter your billing info within a few days of using the toll crossing, they will bill you directly thus avoiding the rental company entirely. I've used it many times when I forget my E-Z Pass at home and I'm driving a rental.

The other option is to just ask the counter rep or lot attendant to make sure the car is equipped with a transponder and/or ask and accept the toll plan offered by Dollar. It's just a matter of remembering to ask/check.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:36 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

A couple of follow-ups here...

a. You may find this blog post informative --> https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-t...-renting-a-car

b. Also some relevant info in this blog post --> https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-t...al-disfunction

A driver can simply pay the toll online within 48 hours of crossing the bridge at a discount. If the toll is paid within the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District's timeline, then PlatePass never comes into play -- the vehicle owner (Hertz) isn't notified of the outstanding toll.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much! I'll be back in the Bay Area next month most likely, so this is very helpful!
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Also - there have been extended discussion about getting a transponder in advance, and not being a sucker.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Also - there have been extended discussion about getting a transponder in advance, and not being a sucker.
Lesson learned. I live in the South. There's no mandatory toll highways in GA (the Metro Atlanta express lanes are optional) and pretty much in all previous visits to toll happy regions, there was always the option to pay in cash. Or use Plate Pass with Hertz, which seems to be the cheapest option as far rental agency transponders go.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by gashwingomes
Lesson learned. I live in the South. There's no mandatory toll highways in GA (the Metro Atlanta express lanes are optional) and pretty much in all previous visits to toll happy regions, there was always the option to pay in cash. Or use Plate Pass with Hertz, which seems to be the cheapest option as far rental agency transponders go.
The NC QuickPass works in all the EZPass states plus Georgia, North Carolina, and Florida. I keep one in my laptop bag.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

So a follow up: I ordered a Toll transponder from FastTrak and used it quite successfully for my rentals in my two most recent Bay Area trips. I stuck the transponder on the windshield and entered the rental vehicle license tag number in my online profile. No problems there, and the toll was deducted fine. No charges from Hertz Plate Pass yet. Unfortunately, I forgot to put an end date on my second rental ... and when my card got charged for a reload, I checked my profile, and realized that my account was getting charged for the car being used by someone else for the past week! A total of about $23 in charges! :: facepalm :: ... I deleted the rental car off of my profile. However, it is interesting that my account got charged even though the transponder was clearly not in the rental vehicle -- it was with me! Well, someone got some free tolls this week ... Gotta laugh!
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by gashwingomes
However, it is interesting that my account got charged even though the transponder was clearly not in the rental vehicle -- it was with me! Well, someone got some free tolls this week ... Gotta laugh!
License plate. That's why.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by garykung
License plate. That's why.
Absolutely and if the transponder failed to read or was a bad read you would be charged via a picture of your plate as well with some jusrisdictions charging you a hire rate for not using a transponder (hello NY). Too bad they don't have an expiration date field for rentals.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 10:20 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Yep, that's exactly how most (or possibly all?) toll transponders work across the country. If they don't detect your transponder, they will charge your account by the license plate number.

This is especially tricky if you're supposed to get a discount for using the transponder and the system doesn't detect it when you go through, it will read your plate but deduct the full cash amount from your account instead of the discounted amount. Been there done that, thanks EZPass. I've now learned to make sure I check my account every so often to make sure I got the discounted rate deducted and not the full cash amount.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

An update: I emailed Fastrak customer service, explained the situation, and enclosed a copy of my rental agreement. I also mailed the transponder back and asked for a refund of my balance. 5 days later I got an email back saying they will check with a supervisor to see if the charges that were made to my account after my rental contract ended, but before I actually deleted the vehicle off my account, could be refunded. And yesterday, I got a refund on my account of the balance as well as the other charges. I'm impressed!
trooper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.